Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> tooth tamer rods

Message Subject: tooth tamer rods
semper esox
Posted 4/24/2009 8:23 AM (#373964)
Subject: tooth tamer rods

just had a chance to look at the new tooth tamer rods, very very nice, bill green the new owner of tooth tamer really did his homework in developing these rods they felt great and the 8'6'' mh will have a place in the boat this year, if you are in the market for a new rod check these out also bill makes the dreamcatcher line of bucktails.
brandondunbar
Posted 4/24/2009 3:54 PM (#374048 - in reply to #373964)
Subject: RE: tooth tamer rods

Good Call Mike,
I also had the chance to check out the new Tooth Tamers and they are really nice. The Musky Rod Line-up goes as follows......
8'6" Med Heavy $149.99
8' XXX Jawbreaker $149.99
8' Med Heavy $149.99
7'6" Med Heavy $139.99
7'6" Mag Med (bucktail rod) $139.99
7' Heavy $129.99
7' Med Hvy $129.99
8' Glass Trolling $129.99
8'6" extra heavy big blade rod comming soon
8' Heavy comming soon

One rod in particular stuck out in my mind as I was testing them. The 7'6" Mag Medium is very unique. This rod offers a moderate action, a softer tip, and an awesome backbone. This rod will definitely become my new twitchbait/glider rod.

One more final detail. The 8' Jawbreaker and the 8'6" MH both have extra long butt handles. I don't know about you guys, but for throwing big baits, I like some leverage.
John At Ross's
Posted 4/28/2009 10:06 AM (#374900 - in reply to #373964)

Bill Green also has a great new line of surface lures and a new plastic swim bait that should be in the stores in the next few weeks. I threw Bill's new Whiplash surface bait with a Tooth Tamer 7' Med Heavy Rod. The bait sounded GREAT. Good sound and bait does not roll when burned. The rod loaded up great and and just felt good fishing it.
Mackerel
Posted 4/28/2009 10:23 AM (#374905 - in reply to #373964)
Subject: Re: tooth tamer rods

Just wondering, are any of you affiliated or sponsored by Bill/Tooth Tamer? If so, please share. Thank you.
Jason Bomber
Posted 4/28/2009 10:42 AM (#374908 - in reply to #374905)

Mackerel - 4/28/2009 10:23 AM

Just wondering, are any of you affiliated or sponsored by Bill/Tooth Tamer? If so, please share. Thank you.

I'd say its fairly obvious!

What kind of warranty do these carry now?

Edited by Jason Bomber 4/28/2009 10:53 AM
Tiger
Posted 4/29/2009 8:39 AM (#375063 - in reply to #373964)

I need a Phone number or something Please,
Yesterday I lost a HUGE ski due to the failure ( Snapped in half) of a Fig Rig carbon classic ! This rod is 2 month old !
used three times, caught 1 fish A 42" incher yesterday, about 10 cast later, wham, I had the fish Of a life time ! I set the hook, she jerked her head twice, and Snap ! I was sick and I mean sick, this had to be (My) fish of a lifetime, no Kiddings about this Guy's , I couldn't fish the rest of the day. Of course Gander Mt.wont do anything because they said Fig Rig is out of business. After they Sold it to me ( 2 MONTHS AGO !!!) and said Dont worry about it. We stand by the Over the counter policy as long as you own it, we'll exchange it for something of equal value, Yea Right ! anyway, can somone post that number to the new owner please, I know I am going to eat the cost of this rod, but it's worth a try,
Thanks.

Edited by Tiger 4/29/2009 6:31 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 4/29/2009 10:14 AM (#375086 - in reply to #373964)

Last I heard the new ownership is no longer honoring the lifetime warranty on any Fig Rig products. I think your best bet would probably be to work with the retailer to see if they have any leftover inventory in any of their other stores.
Jason Bomber
Posted 4/29/2009 10:46 AM (#375097 - in reply to #375063)

[EDIT: ...general non-specifics removed...]

I personaly have broken 3......1 bass 2 muskie

We had over 20 broken figs sitting in a corner at my work in 07.

[EDIT: ...unsubstantiated, non-personal claim removed...]

Poor guy should never have admitted to having bought FR, and just started from scratch. If he exchanges the old rods, he will be bankrupt fast.
I garuntee theres hundreds of Figs out there yet just waiting to break.
Tom Rozek
Posted 4/29/2009 12:27 PM (#375118 - in reply to #373964)

Just an FYI not all Fig Rigs break they did however have a problem and IMO it is what caused the failure of Fig Rig. The problem was form a certian time frame that some of the rods were manufactured.

With that being said it would be alomost impossible for Tooth Tamer to cover the old warranty for Fig Rig. The company was bought out at the end of last year and the new Tooth Tammers have been totaly redesigned. The breakage problem is the main reason that they were redone. The new owner has no way of holding the warranty for the old Fig Rigs. Bill is not a unreasonable man and his contact info is on his web site www.dreamcatcherlures.com get in contact with him and see what he may do for you.
Sorry to hear about the fish you lost with the rod breakage I know its a heart breaker I have lost a few fish with all kinds of equipment failures. Please dont hesitatate to give the NEW Tooth Tamer rods a try I know you will not be dissapointed!
Tom Rozek
Yes I am on the Tooth Tamer Pro Staff
I will also be out to PA for the Alegheny Field and Stream open house Memorial Day weekend on behalf of Tooth Tammer, Phantom, Hawg Seekers, Dunwright, Stowmaster nets.
Being from OH maybe you could make it up for the day?
Jason Bomber
Posted 4/29/2009 1:09 PM (#375128 - in reply to #375118)

Just an FYI not all Fig Rigs break they did however have a problem and IMO it is what caused the failure of Fig Rig. The problem was form a certian time frame that some of the rods were manufactured.

I sold them for 4 years before I started talking people out of buying them.
EVERY YEAR EVERY LENGTH!!!!
Yes they all break. I don't know what you were told, but I'm sure dude wasn't about to tell you he had 50 broken ones in Madison alone. I'd hate to guess how many Rollies or thornes had.

THE NEW RODS ARE NOT THE SAME. PLEASE DON'T THINK I'M SAYING THIS STUFF ABOUT Tooth Tamer, I AM NOT!!

Fig rig however!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Do yourself a favor and throw yours away before it cost you a fish.

Ever see a pile of 20 broken rods? Its disturbing!. The owner (kevin)didnt even want them back to maybe see WHY they were breaking, just kept sending you replacements.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/29/2009 1:31 PM (#375131 - in reply to #373964)

I could be wrong here, but I would think that if a rod is going to break because of a bad blank or being wrapped too tight or something that it would break right away, either on the first good hookset or the first time you cast a big bait.

Maybe one of the rod manufacturers could shed some light on this?
Tiger
Posted 4/29/2009 2:03 PM (#375135 - in reply to #373964)

Thanks for the info,
I have 4 fig rigs, this being the first that broke, the other get plenty of work and I have not had an issue with them.
this carbon classic being the ((cheapest)) of the four, is the last one Gander had in stock, Like I said, the rods only 2 months old, my other FR are over 2 years. Thanks again.
Also Tom, I might make that trip, it's not that far of a drive for me, Thanks for the invite.

Edited by Tiger 4/29/2009 2:05 PM
Tom Rozek
Posted 4/29/2009 2:09 PM (#375136 - in reply to #373964)

Jason
I understand your fustration but I also need you to understand that all rods can break. Fig Rig had a warranty that was handled through the dealer for the first 90 days. No other rod manufacturer dose this. This may be why you had as many as you did but not any others.

One other note I fish over 100 day per year ( tournaments guideing fun ) and I have 5 or 6 Figs that have not broke. I have broke a few but I also have broke others ( St Croix G-Lomis ect. ) What I mean by this is all rods can break, yes Fig Rig did have more of an issue and that is why Fig Rig is gone.

Please remember Tooth Tamer is not Fig Rig they are 2 totaly different rods.
I am not a fan of the old Fig Rigs either because of the breakage problem but the ones I do have have been good for me and I have had very few problems and that is why I am saying this about them.
reelman
Posted 4/29/2009 2:20 PM (#375139 - in reply to #373964)

Many dealers do over the counter exchanges on broken rods if they are broken in a reasonable amount of time regardless of the manufacture. I know Fenwicks can be exchanged over the counter at most places provided it's and actual defect and not slammed in a door.

In all my years I have never broke a rod that I consider the fault of the rod. I have stepped on some, got them caught in doors, and have a anchor cleat on my boat that has accounted for more rods then I even care to mention including 3 in one day!!!

I have to ask what did this guy buy when he bought FigRig? He is not using the name nor the rods that FigRig had so what did he really buy?
cband
Posted 4/29/2009 3:10 PM (#375153 - in reply to #373964)

Tom R, What is the Allegheny field and stream open house you are talking about in PA. Do you have any details.
cast10K
Posted 4/29/2009 3:39 PM (#375154 - in reply to #375136)

Shimano is lifetime over the counter. Pretty nice rods too.
brandondunbar
Posted 4/29/2009 3:51 PM (#375156 - in reply to #375153)

Hey Everyone,
First off, I would like to say thank you for you comments and questions about the newly designed Tooth Tamer Rods. Secondly, I will gladly admit that there are three or four of us on here that are pro-staffing for Tooth Tamer Rods. All we want to do is promote the product and let people know that Bill Green, owner of Tooth Tamer Rods, is offering a warranty on most Fig Rigs Rods for a price. Realistically, I don't know if there is another company like Tooth Tamer Rods that will back a company that is no longer in business. Finally, If you have any questions about the warranty of Fig Rig rods, the new warranty of Tooth Tamer rods, or any other questions in general about the rods, please continue to do so. Thank You.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/29/2009 3:56 PM (#375158 - in reply to #373964)

I have a few questions:

What kind of guides are they using on the new Tooth Tamer rods?
Who makes the blank?
Are the rods spined?
Tom Rozek
Posted 4/29/2009 4:00 PM (#375161 - in reply to #373964)

The open house deal is this.
Alegehny Field and Stream is going to start carrying musky tackle. They have asked that some of Team Top Predator come out and help them get into the Musky game.
They are holding a 2 day event Saturday and Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. The event is free to the public they are planning to have food and drinks.
Some of the people going out to PA are Tom Rozek ( tournament angler, Guide, 2007 PMTT top gun ) / Mark Dresow ( lure maker for Phantom lures, Tournament angler, Guide ) Joe Glasgow( Tournament angler, 2008 IMTT champion ) We will all be doing some lure demos from different manufactuers and also doing some speaking on things to help musky fishermen of all expierence levels. We are also doing some tackle give aways durring the 2 days.
I will be doing a more discriptive statment in a few days we have a few small details to work out and we are leaving for the PMTT that is this weekend. I hope to have all of the details out for everyone earily next week.
Hope to see you at the event if you can make it!
Posted 4/29/2009 6:51 PM (#375206 - in reply to #375158)

I am not on the Tooth Tamer Pro Staff and I have seen the rods. For those of you who have not, how can you say something bad about them if you haven't not even seen them. That is like telling your kids to dislike some foods before they have even tried it, even though it might be good for them. Common sense would tell you that with this being a new rod on the market, it is at least worth a look. Don't judge the book without even looking at the cover.

They really are a nice rod with great action and deserve a few minutes of your time. Give them a look, you won’t be disappointed!!
brandondunbar
Posted 4/29/2009 6:52 PM (#375207 - in reply to #373964)

Esoxaddict,
Thank You for the questions. I hope I have the answers you are looking for.
Q: What kind of guides are on the new Tooth Tamer rods?
A. The new Tooth Tamer Rods have Alconite Guides and Webo Reel Seats.

Q: Who makes the blank?
A: The blank is made overseas

Q: Are the rods spined?
A: If you mean spined, I personally do not know what that means, but I could find out. If you mean spinned, they are spinned when the guides are put on the rod.

I would also like to add a very important point. These are not even close to the same rods as Fig Rigs. The guides and reel seats are different. The blank is totally different and it has thicker sidewalls than the Fig Rigs. Finally, the cork on the handles is a synthetic cork, unlike the Fig Rigs. As you can see, it is a totally different rod. Nothing is the same. Once again, if any of you have any questions please let me know!

Thanks again for the questions.

Edited by brandondunbar 4/29/2009 6:59 PM
John at Ross's
Posted 4/29/2009 6:58 PM (#375208 - in reply to #373964)

The Blanks are Carbon Matrix blanks made for Tooth Tamer Rods
Webo Reel Seats
Alconite Guides
blanks are spline checked

What did he buy? Dealer Base and the name Tooth Tamer thats all he bought.

Your right about if a rod is going to break because of a flaw it will break right away. After that its somthing that you did to the rod. Most of the rods that come into my store broke are because they are misused. If I ask the customer enough questions the truth comes out. Either they were throwing a Mag Dawg with a 7' med the week before and stressed the fibers or they were trying to snap out a snag. If that rod has an uneven break 9 times out of 10 it was overloaded. The nice clean breaks are usually the ones that have a flaw in the rod. We have to remember that any rod will break when pushed to the limit. Thats why St Croix, Tooth Tamer and most other rod companies are making XXX rods. Our lines are getting stronger the 80 and 100 pound super braids dont give so the rod does. Also out lures are bigger then ever, we can't go out fishing with 1 or 2 multi purpose rods anymore.

I can't wait till fishing season opens so people don't have the time to sit on the computer and beat up on other peoples products that they have'nt seen or used yet.

Yes I Pro Staff for Tooth Tamer Rods and it's by choice not because I have rods handed to me.

reelman
Posted 4/29/2009 7:20 PM (#375213 - in reply to #373964)

I might have missed something but I don't see anybody bashing Tooth Tamer rods on this thread. They are bashing Fig Rigs.
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/29/2009 7:59 PM (#375217 - in reply to #373964)

Tiger, please contact Bill Green about your issue. Even though he isn't honoring a full warranty, he offering a great discount on one of his new ones. Not sure who said the full warranty would be honored, but it wasn't him. That said, people should wait to check these rods out before forming any opinion, and please, please don't associate them with Fig Rig. I'm also on his staff, and part of me wishes he hadn't used any name associated with the old product, but it is what it is, a nice new product, redesigned to satisfy Musky anglers(and walleye anglers as we have a nice line of spinning rods too).. You owe it to yourself to at least check them out. The 8'6" that I recomended they produce is really going to turn some heads this year(when setting the hook...). That also said, most of the production rods are in transit right now, and should be here next week.... we hope.

Jason Schillinger

Edited by Reef Hawg 4/30/2009 1:34 PM
lambeau
Posted 4/29/2009 8:41 PM (#375232 - in reply to #373964)

there are some pretty well-respected muskie fishermen standing behind the new Tooth Tamer rods. Jason has a lot of integrity, and if he believes in these rods they are worth taking a look at, imho.
Tom Rozek
Posted 4/29/2009 9:23 PM (#375246 - in reply to #373964)

Hey guys thanks for the interest in Tooth Tamer! I want people to know that the new rods are just hitting the market and most retailers have not recived them yet. The proces of getting them right is one that takes time. We wanted to make sure that the quality is as good as we can get. Tooth Tamer is offering a warranty that needs to have good product if we dont then we will fail and go under like others have.It may be a few weekes before many retailers have them.  When you get a chance please take a look and see what you think. They are a great rod at a great price. If you have any questions about them please feel free to ask. We will try to give you the best answer we can.As far as the spine, all rods have spines but the term that you are using is not some thing that any one in the industry dose. It is imposible to do that with a rod over 7' . However most manufactures do try to work with what they can as far as the true staightness of the blank for guide placement ( spined in the capacity you are talking about ).  Please under stand that every attempt is made to have them done correctly but the spine is less important than guide placement, wrap tension, and balance. Take a look when they get in your area I think you will like what you see.
Tom Rozek
Posted 4/29/2009 9:30 PM (#375249 - in reply to #373964)

Tiger
If you purchased the rod in the last 2 months and still have the receipt and the reciept dose not say close out and no return then they have no choice but to take it back. I would try to return the rod one more time and if you have to talk to one of the managment.
I hope it works out for you!
As far as getting in touch I would sugest trying that 1st. If not get in touch with us and we try work some thing out for you.
Tom
esoxaddict
Posted 4/30/2009 9:44 AM (#375320 - in reply to #373964)

Tom, thanks for your input, that's exactly what I wanted to know.
reelman
Posted 4/30/2009 11:04 AM (#375336 - in reply to #373964)

Why do they have to take it back? It might be the right thing to do but why must they HAVE to take it back?
Posted 4/30/2009 11:07 AM (#375337 - in reply to #373964)

Store polocy is store polocy. If you sell some thing that has a return statment and do not mark it as is or no return what choice do you have?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)