Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Proposed stocking of Lake Geneva with muskies

Message Subject: Proposed stocking of Lake Geneva with muskies
tuffy1
Posted 3/10/2018 7:56 AM (#895730 - in reply to #895697)
Subject: Re: Proposed stocking of Lake Geneva with muskies

That lake is like fishing on Lake Michigan with rollers on it during the day. Night fishing on the other hand.....
IGotTheFeverBIG
Posted 3/10/2018 8:07 AM (#895734 - in reply to #895077)

Only place in the Tri-State Area to get a decent U.S. Brewed Hefe-Weizen...

Is there a fish crib up on the north east corner of the lake there?

I'll need one close enough to shore to cast a bait and then run my line across the street to the bar at Sprecher's. Rather than have my Rig cluttering up the bar, (that would be silly) I figure I can just tie directly to my big toe, Huck Finn style. I don't foresee any issues...

Next post: Catching a "tiger" by the toe...the Story of PegLeg McFever...
esoxaddict
Posted 3/10/2018 3:40 PM (#895855 - in reply to #895697)

jdsplasher - 3/9/2018 10:23 PM

esoxaddict - 10/10/2008 3:44 PM It would be a zoo on weekends, but think of the quality of fish Lake Geneva could produce... On a side note, isn't it funny how a muskie club from IL puts so many fish into WI? And they never seem to thank us when we're up there...

Jeff; here I thought it was the other way around. WI. Residents stocking IL. Waters. Look how many of the Pewaukee fish end up in the Fox Chain;)

JD

PS ; Guess I would Side W/Painter/Worrall/Slammer

We do buy some fish from the Gollom hatchery. But if it keeps even one IL angler fishing down here instead of up in WI isn't it worth it?
ToothyCritter
Posted 10/7/2019 11:34 AM (#947750 - in reply to #340208)

I'm sorting through old threads looking for hit's on lakes I'm interested in targeting for the late season hunts in my searches. Saw this and had to read through it since we fished it a few weeks ago. I took my wife & boy's to Lake Geneva so the wife could see the shacks and we could fish. Something for everyone... We saw 2 other boats casing for Muskies. One was casting big rubber.. Same thing on lake Delavan the week prior to that and my son lost one at the net there. It was not a Northern on Delavan. That was a Muskie.

Were these lakes stocked with Muskies ever? Perhaps the boats on Geneva were simply fishing for Northern?

Edited by ToothyCritter 10/7/2019 11:35 AM
NPike
Posted 10/7/2019 7:07 PM (#947772 - in reply to #340208)

In NYS Conesus lake has solid populations of oversized LM and SM bass and some of the bigger pike to be caught in NYS. It has the heaviest boat traffic of any major lake in the state. Stocked with (4 to 7)k (8 to 9)" long musky fingerlings annually for ~ a decade. Presently the largest fish in the lake are muskies and this has not adversely effected any other game fish, all it's done is add excitement and variety. One factor is it's a deep lake nearly 70' with large shallow flats so plenty of space for each species to find there own desired habitats, in fact in summer most musky's go quite deep to chase a large alewive population. Not sure about the lake in question but stocking muskies in this lake has paid off.
stdevos
Posted 10/8/2019 12:28 PM (#947807 - in reply to #340208)

Yes, Geneva has been getting stocked:

https://infotrek.er.usgs.gov/doc/wdnr_biology/Public_Stocking/StateM...
esoxaddict
Posted 10/8/2019 1:55 PM (#947818 - in reply to #947807)

So it's been 9 years since the initial stocking I've heard rumors - the usual ones of tails on one side of the boat, head on the other, fish "at least 6 feet long"... More reputable claims are fish showing up in the mid to upper 30's into the low 40's. Based on the time frame, that sounds about right. So in another 4-5 years we'll start to see if Geneva really does have what it takes to produce some quality fish. Might turn out to be a good place to fish after Labor Day at least.
ToothyCritter
Posted 10/8/2019 2:43 PM (#947823 - in reply to #947818)

Outside of the launch fee and small parking lot at Williams Bay, It was nice and pretty easy to find a spot to fish once on the water. Yes, it's after labor day but I'll go back since it's only 30 min for me. Bass are big anyway. I'll bring some Muskie gear next time. The bar across the street from the big pier where you can get gas sure was fun, lot's of Badger fans watching the game last week & the wings were very good. A tad pricey though.

Before labor day on a weekend. Not me, I'll get run over.
sean61s
Posted 10/18/2019 9:47 PM (#948514 - in reply to #340208)
Subject: RE: Proposed stocking of Lake Geneva with muskies

They are already in there.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)