Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Muskies, and How to Handle Them

Message Subject: Muskies, and How to Handle Them
sworrall
Posted 11/13/2007 9:35 PM (#284463)
Subject: Muskies, and How to Handle Them

In light of the recent videos posted of fish being handled not as many would hope, I'd like to do some information gathering.

Just how fragile are Muskies?

Biologists, scientists, and others with professional education/training in this matter, please address the following:

1) How long is TOO long out of the water for a Muskie? Not just to make her uncomfortable, but long enough to damage the fish's health and future.

2) What about contact with bump boards, boat floors, etc? I'm not talking allowing the fish to flop about wildly, I'm talking fairly brief contact with the floor of the boat, a wet bump board, or other incidental contact.

3) Holding the fish; is the infamous 'vertical hold' as damaging as it's been reputed to be, if for only a moment? Is the contact with clothing, etc with a horizontal hold against the angler's body a threat to the fish's future health?

4) Time in the net; if the fish is in the net and under the water, is this causing damage to the fish's health to hold the fish there for a few moments?

5) Hooks; is it better to cut a hook and leave the remainder in the fish that is deeply hooked than to do the surgery and get it out?

Please address any other handling issues you feel are important to emphasize in the educational process. If you have any images you can post in support, please do, or request images from the rest of us showing what you need.

Please refrain from adding to this discussion other than additional questions if you are not a fisheries professional.

What is the intent of this thread? MuskieFIRST will put a reality based educational and informative piece together using this information, images and supporting video to indicate the proper way to handle a Muskie once you have her in the net. The article and supporting video will be archived for future reference anytime it's needed.

We have had a rash of complaints lately about what folks feel is the WRONG way to handle a fish, so why not put a truly comprehensive, professionally supported piece together describing what is the RIGHT way?

If you are a fisheries professional, are willing to contirbute but prefer to remain anonymous, please email answers to me a [email protected]. We will add your contribution while respecting your desire for anonymity.

We will gather information form this source and interviews over the next few months nd have the piece ready before Spring.
sorenson
Posted 11/14/2007 7:50 AM (#284501 - in reply to #284463)
Subject: RE: Muskies, and How to Handle Them

Holy Spotted Cow Steve, you don't want much do ya?

How fragile are they? On a scale of 1-10, somewhere between a 3 and a 9. Most of that is appearance and the answer to that depends on many things. How was the fish fought? Long and drawn out on light tackle or quickly into the net w/ appropriate gear? Water temperature - cool and well oxygenated or approaching upper tolerance limits? Hooked in the side of the mouth or deeply into softer tissue? How long out of the water? Size of the fish even seems to have quite a bit to do with it.
Many of the answers are basically common sense with a bit of 'sliding scale' built into them, add any of the factors that would impinge on survival and they seem to be a bit synergistic. Out of the water for a picture for 15 seconds is not bad, but out of the water for 15 seconds at water temps of 78 might be; out of the water for 15, water temps at 78 after a long fight on 8 lb. test line might be lethal...you get the point.

1) How long is too long? VERY temperature dependent. Muskies are cold-blooded and as such their metabolism slows (and therefore their need for oxygen) at lower temperatures. Add to that, the properties of water and it's capabilities to hold dissolve oxygen at different temperatures - higher temps = less oxygen. This further reduces the fish's ability to compensate at higher water temperatures.
When it's cool out, you can probably get away with 45 seconds to a minute, warmer no more than 15 to 20 seconds. Again, this is also dependent on the characteristics of the fight.

2) Contact with moistened objects should be no problem, especially incidental contact with smooth objects such as a bump board or rain jacket, etc. Try to not to contact things dramatically different in temperature (i.e., hot or freezing cold bump board) or anything of unreasonably rough texture. The protective layer on a fish's skin is usually adequate to guard against infections that would be caused by incidental contacts. If a substantial amount of slime is rubbed of by a carpet, for example, that may facilitate the route of infection for common, water-born disease organisms.

3) Vertical holds...much of my answer is going to be opinion as I haven't really handled a lot of muskies (from a professional standpoint) that needed to be returned to the water - and haven't had the opportunity to evaluate survival after handling. I think this is very dependent on size of fish - smaller specimens are probably not as adversely affected by the practice. Based on common sense and suggestions from other fisheries professionals, an unsupported vertical hold (i.e., entire weight of the fish being carried by the jaw), is not recommended. A lot of weight is being trusted to a structure that is not designed for that stress. I think much of the damage from this hold is cause by the fish itself if it begins to struggle. Internal organs that are 'free to move around' in the body cavity when not supported by water could be compromised by this type of hold too. I've even heard that holding them out of the water at all can impose some degree of tissue damage.
Contact w/ clothing, etc. - again, how much contact and what are the characteristics of the cloth? Wet rain jacket - no problem; cotton sweatshirt, maybe a problem. It's all about risk management. Wiping off the slime coat from the entire side of a large fish and returning it to warm water may lead to a disease problem.

4) Time in net - I have witnesses NO ill effects from holding a fish in a large net for any reasonable length of time. Unless the surface water temperatures are problematic, I think this is actually a harmless thing for the fish.

5) Hooks - again, I think let common sense prevail. I try to get them out, but not at an unreasonable 'air exposure' expense to the fish. Small pieces of cut hook should eventually cause a localized infection, tissue reaction, and hopefully expulsion of the hook piece. They do not dissolve. Where the hook is will also play into whether or not an attempt to remove it should be undertaken; as does the 'surgical skill' of the angler. Everyone has differing degrees of competency in this area as well as differing degrees in the quality of their tools. My wife (a veterinarian) can probably do even the most difficult hook extractions with the proper set of tools, but with only one large pliers, she's no better off than me.

These fish can be tough as nails or as fragile as glass Christmas ornaments. Some die. It just happens once in a while despite your best efforts to prevent it. It also seems that some live, despite being grossly mishandled by a previous encounter with an angler, boat, bird, hydropower turbine, whatever.

Obviously, I don't have all the answers. I can really only provide some basic guidelines. I think one of the biggest things that many people overlook is preparation. Believe that you are going to get a fish in the net. Visualize before the situation occurs how you might go about handling it. Have the proper equipment and know how to use it. If you are uncomfortable with something, go with someone who is accomplished at it, and above all ask questions.

Handle lots of small fish it just might prepare you for the time you have to handle a big one...well, no it won't, but it's a nice sentiment.
S.

And just in case anyone is wondering - no, they don't teach you to handle fish in school; the old-time biologists sit back and laugh at the newbies the first time they try to 'lip' a northern pike!

Edited by sorenson 11/14/2007 8:00 AM
Posted 11/18/2007 2:58 PM (#285201 - in reply to #284463)

I understand that the technology is now available to put a digital certified scale in the rim of a net. Do you think it would be worth the effort to eliminate measuring and girthing back to simple weight in the interest of reducing release mortality? How about simply using a certified portable scale on the rim of a net and lifing the fish in a coated net to get a weight?. Do you think that would be overly harmful as compared to all the factors in using a bump board? Just curious as to your thoughts.
ron f
Posted 11/22/2007 7:27 AM (#285774 - in reply to #284463)
Subject: Re: Muskies, and How to Handle Them

very good post Steve Worrall
sworrall
Posted 1/3/2008 12:44 PM (#291773 - in reply to #284463)

-----Biologists, scientists, and others with professional education/training in this matter, please address the following-----

That. folks, means fisheries professionals. We are already very aware of the links out there for articles already published, and may or may not use material from any or all depending on whether permission is granted. This thread is designed as a special request of our visiting fisheries professionals.

-----Please refrain from adding to this discussion other than additional questions if you are not a fisheries professional----

This is for obvious reasons. Anyone upset if they are NOT a fisheries professional but still want to contribute; you will have your chance once this information is gathered and edited into the presentation.

We are trying to gather information from scientists, NOT laymen, not to be exclusionary but to offer the proper handling techniques recommended by fisheries professionals in that portion of the production underway. More opportunity will follow for the rest of us to contribute.
VMS
Posted 1/8/2008 8:37 AM (#292713 - in reply to #284463)

Question: One argument that has been made about netting fish is the splitting of fins. How much of a concern is a split fin in terms of introducing infection, time to heal/grow back together etc?

Question: The loss of a gill... I have seen a few fish over the years that have had a gill somehow detatched but was still doing well. Is a damaged gill a "death warrant" on the fish?

Steve
jaultman
Posted 2/18/2014 10:38 AM (#692301 - in reply to #284463)

sworrall - 11/13/2007 9:35 PM
What is the intent of this thread? MuskieFIRST will put a reality based educational and informative piece together using this information, images and supporting video to indicate the proper way to handle a Muskie once you have her in the net. The article and supporting video will be archived for future reference anytime it's needed.

We have had a rash of complaints lately about what folks feel is the WRONG way to handle a fish, so why not put a truly comprehensive, professionally supported piece together describing what is the RIGHT way?

Did this document ["... a reality based educational and informative piece together using this information, images and supporting video..."] ever come to fruition? I would sure like to see/read/hear it.

Sorry for going so far back in time.
muskysucker1
Posted 2/19/2014 7:42 AM (#692516 - in reply to #284463)

If you are a serious musky fisher you should be a member of Muskies inc!!! That is where I learned the most about the fish it self.
musky-skunk
Posted 2/20/2014 11:49 AM (#692800 - in reply to #284463)

This thread is a great idea, will be interested in seeing the final product.

[EDIT] Haha my bad, I seen the last post date and didn't notice the original post date. Looks like we'll never know...
VVV

Edited by musky-skunk 2/20/2014 1:18 PM
jaultman
Posted 2/20/2014 11:51 AM (#692801 - in reply to #692800)

musky-skunk - 2/20/2014 11:49 AM

This thread is a great idea, will be interested in seeing the final product.

Note that the thread is over 6 years old, and so far no word on whether or not there is a "final product". I'm with you though, I want to see/hear/read it.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 4/9/2014 8:52 AM (#705583 - in reply to #284501)

sorenson - 11/14/2007 7:50 AM

How fragile are they? On a scale of 1-10, somewhere between a 3 and a 9. Most of that is appearance and the answer to that depends on many things. How was the fish fought? Long and drawn out on light tackle or quickly into the net w/ appropriate gear? Water temperature - cool and well oxygenated or approaching upper tolerance limits? Hooked in the side of the mouth or deeply into softer tissue? How long out of the water? Size of the fish even seems to have quite a bit to do with it.
Many of the answers are basically common sense with a bit of 'sliding scale' built into them, add any of the factors that would impinge on survival and they seem to be a bit synergistic. Out of the water for a picture for 15 seconds is not bad, but out of the water for 15 seconds at water temps of 78 might be; out of the water for 15, water temps at 78 after a long fight on 8 lb. test line might be lethal...you get the point.

1) How long is too long? VERY temperature dependent. Muskies are cold-blooded and as such their metabolism slows (and therefore their need for oxygen) at lower temperatures. Add to that, the properties of water and it's capabilities to hold dissolve oxygen at different temperatures - higher temps = less oxygen. This further reduces the fish's ability to compensate at higher water temperatures.
When it's cool out, you can probably get away with 45 seconds to a minute, warmer no more than 15 to 20 seconds. Again, this is also dependent on the characteristics of the fight.

2) Contact with moistened objects should be no problem, especially incidental contact with smooth objects such as a bump board or rain jacket, etc. Try to not to contact things dramatically different in temperature (i.e., hot or freezing cold bump board) or anything of unreasonably rough texture. The protective layer on a fish's skin is usually adequate to guard against infections that would be caused by incidental contacts. If a substantial amount of slime is rubbed of by a carpet, for example, that may facilitate the route of infection for common, water-born disease organisms.

3) Vertical holds...much of my answer is going to be opinion as I haven't really handled a lot of muskies (from a professional standpoint) that needed to be returned to the water - and haven't had the opportunity to evaluate survival after handling. I think this is very dependent on size of fish - smaller specimens are probably not as adversely affected by the practice. Based on common sense and suggestions from other fisheries professionals, an unsupported vertical hold (i.e., entire weight of the fish being carried by the jaw), is not recommended. A lot of weight is being trusted to a structure that is not designed for that stress. I think much of the damage from this hold is cause by the fish itself if it begins to struggle. Internal organs that are 'free to move around' in the body cavity when not supported by water could be compromised by this type of hold too. I've even heard that holding them out of the water at all can impose some degree of tissue damage.
Contact w/ clothing, etc. - again, how much contact and what are the characteristics of the cloth? Wet rain jacket - no problem; cotton sweatshirt, maybe a problem. It's all about risk management. Wiping off the slime coat from the entire side of a large fish and returning it to warm water may lead to a disease problem.

4) Time in net - I have witnesses NO ill effects from holding a fish in a large net for any reasonable length of time. Unless the surface water temperatures are problematic, I think this is actually a harmless thing for the fish.

5) Hooks - again, I think let common sense prevail. I try to get them out, but not at an unreasonable 'air exposure' expense to the fish. Small pieces of cut hook should eventually cause a localized infection, tissue reaction, and hopefully expulsion of the hook piece. They do not dissolve. Where the hook is will also play into whether or not an attempt to remove it should be undertaken; as does the 'surgical skill' of the angler. Everyone has differing degrees of competency in this area as well as differing degrees in the quality of their tools. My wife (a veterinarian) can probably do even the most difficult hook extractions with the proper set of tools, but with only one large pliers, she's no better off than me.

These fish can be tough as nails or as fragile as glass Christmas ornaments. Some die. It just happens once in a while despite your best efforts to prevent it. It also seems that some live, despite being grossly mishandled by a previous encounter with an angler, boat, bird, hydropower turbine, whatever.

Obviously, I don't have all the answers. I can really only provide some basic guidelines. I think one of the biggest things that many people overlook is preparation. Believe that you are going to get a fish in the net. Visualize before the situation occurs how you might go about handling it. Have the proper equipment and know how to use it. If you are uncomfortable with something, go with someone who is accomplished at it, and above all ask questions.

Handle lots of small fish it just might prepare you for the time you have to handle a big one...well, no it won't, but it's a nice sentiment.
S.

And just in case anyone is wondering - no, they don't teach you to handle fish in school; the old-time biologists sit back and laugh at the newbies the first time they try to 'lip' a northern pike!

Awesome input! I agree with most of it not all...Thats OK though.

Bottom Line is conditions...I notice fish in the fall/spring release much easier than fish in summer and depending on the struggle....

The only thing I have slight disagreement on is that a net in the water has NO effect...Thrashing fish in a net, rubber coated or not, would remove detrimental slime wouldn't it? It does, I've seen it...Are nets wrong? NO, I just prefer not to net EVERY fish if I do not have to. And I feel, based on personal experiences, your times out of the water are a bit more conservative than normal. I think the muskies are far more "hardy" than most of us give them credit for...BUT that being said is sort of a good thing as long as people keep things in perspective and don't take them too far to extremes; like so many tend to do.

Great Thread. 2007? WOAHHHH! LOL

Edited by ShutUpNFish 4/9/2014 8:55 AM
JOHN FALLON
Posted 4/20/2014 8:26 PM (#707882 - in reply to #284463)

I am not knocking muskies inc at all , they do great things for the world of muskie fishing , but I have seen one of there magazine covers a few years ago with a nice muskie being held up out of the water in a net boat side . Whats up with that for a cover shot ????
FishFinder87
Posted 4/20/2014 11:30 PM (#707895 - in reply to #707882)

JOHN FALLON - 4/20/2014 8:26 PM

I am not knocking muskies inc at all , they do great things for the world of muskie fishing , but I have seen one of there magazine covers a few years ago with a nice muskie being held up out of the water in a net boat side . Whats up with that for a cover shot ????

I believe that concern must have been addressed at some point.

http://www.muskiesinc.org/indy_files/files/photo_guidelines.pdf
popolarbear
Posted 5/3/2014 8:30 AM (#709993 - in reply to #707895)

interesting thread.
my 2 cents . as crazy as it sounds, one of the most valuable fish is the japanese colored carp, with some specimens in the million dollar range, and many in the 6 figure range. lots of research has been done on this pets, and of interest to this topic, is factors that affect growth in particular length. it is well documented that handling fish out of water causes a condition damaging and partial fusion of the spine. to avoid that, high dollar fish are never ever removed from the water, as it puts too much stress on the spine. it horrifies me to see big muskies with large stomachs hanging damaging internals etc, but everyone probably has done this at some time during the learning curve.
here gang enjoy my best musky video with me scuba diving and a big fish swims up to me. i have mostly given up fishing in favor of video instead. much more difficult. this is lake minnetonka in 60ft+ thru the ice.enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HuV4wNIGdY
Deej
Posted 5/14/2014 4:47 PM (#711521 - in reply to #284501)

sorenson - 11/14/2007 7:50 AM

S.

I agree with a lot of the above. Lower water temperatures allow fish to tolerate more stress. The faster an angler can release a fish the better. When brood stock netting if a fish looks stressed in the tank it goes back into the lake (with no handling) where it has a better chance of surviving than in a tank with the oxygen bubbler or someone holding the fishes tail.
On my first summer fisheries job my boss would shout from the back of the boat "Them fish ain't toys! Hold them firm but gentle!) Hard to do when handling large fish like muskies, flatheads and blue cats.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)