Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> The Black river, Wi

Message Subject: The Black river, Wi
justlucky
Posted 2/9/2006 8:05 PM (#176563)
Subject: The Black river, Wi

heard there might be some good areas to fish muskie in this river. Just wondered if anybody knew what part??
thanks much and keep a tight line!!
k-bob
Posted 2/11/2006 9:54 PM (#176857 - in reply to #176563)
Subject: RE: The Black river, Wi

I have fished a little bit near Greenwood. I've had them hit but I haven't landed any. I've seen some that were probably 40". Where are you from?
Krishna
tcbetka
Posted 2/12/2006 2:54 PM (#176919 - in reply to #176563)

I used to live in Black River Falls for three years, and fished the Black River for musky several times. Unless you fish below the dam on Lake Arbutus, or below the one in BRF, I don't think you will do much good. I even fished Arbutus a whole bunch of times but saw nothing. I am sure there are muskies in the whole river, as I know people who have seen them--but the numbers are quite low, so I doubt you would do well.

But everyone I talked to in that area fished the 1-2 miles below each of those dams, and apparently did OK. The problem is that it's a rocky river and you will need to use a small boat. In fact, some of the guys I talked to knew of some back roads and carried their boats in from the truck. So a canoe or a John boat would work well, I suppose. But the bright side is that you don't have far to go up or down the river--and if you have a 5-10 hp motor you would probably do well.

TB
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/12/2006 5:42 PM (#176952 - in reply to #176563)

Some of the upper reaches are decent too. Water was too low last year, but when she rages, the fish become a bit less shy. Area below Arbutus used to be much better. Not much flow there at all anymore since they started using the canal again, which reroutes almost 100% of the flow away from the original river bed for a few miles. The dike had blown out a number of years ago, and it was repaired and now the power house is running again. Wish it was not.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)