Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Palomar v.s. Uni-knot

Message Subject: Palomar v.s. Uni-knot
Pike Master
Posted 7/22/2005 3:35 PM (#154411)
Subject: Palomar v.s. Uni-knot

I know that the Palomar knot is the reccomended and most used knot for superlines.I on the otherhand have used the Uni-Knot and have not had any trouble with it.I have landed over a dozen pike over 20lbs on very large lures(12" to 24")with the Uni-Knot using 80lb T.U.F. line.To date the Uni-knot has not failed me once in any way.Now that i have a $290 U.S.D. Wishmaster Big Wish i want to make sure i am using the strongest knot possible.I have upgraded my line to 130lb test and i am using a 300lb s.s. single strand leader that Rolf made for me.Any information you can give me regarding wich knot is actually stronger and the pro's and con's of each knot would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Pike Master 7/22/2005 3:36 PM
cpr fish
Posted 7/22/2005 4:25 PM (#154422 - in reply to #154411)
Subject: RE: Palomar v.s. Uni-knot

Both knots you mention are quality knots for super line. My favorite knot is the Joe Bucher "power knot". I have not had problems with the Uni or Polomar but after experimenting with the power knot I feel it is the strongest and most reliable of the three. I hope the attachment works.....

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(power knot.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments power knot.gif (61KB - 18009 downloads)
RiverMan
Posted 7/22/2005 6:11 PM (#154432 - in reply to #154411)

I hear what you are saying about the Wishmaster bait...man that would be horrible to lose one of those! I personally always use the palomar and have never had a failure that I can recall. Most of the time when a braided line breaks on me it's somewhere away from the knot. Watch very closely for small nicks, abrasions, etc., on the line, particulary on the section just a few feet from the bait as this piece sees the most action.

One other thing you might consider if the bait is touching bottom much is using a mono front on the braid. Mono as you probably know has an abrasion resistance that is far greater than any braid. Braid has high tensile strength and zero stretch but it's resistance to wear is far below mono. For truely large fish, mono is often used on the front end of the braid for this reason. You can either use a swivel to join the two lines or an albright knot between the braid and mono. You might also look into putting the bait on your homeowner's insurance plan, lol.

Best of luck,

Jed V.
www.bikinibaitcompany.com

SteveHulbert
Posted 7/22/2005 6:32 PM (#154435 - in reply to #154411)

I have a rod designated for really big baits like Wishmasters, 16" Try-R Lures, XL Tuff Shads, etc. It's a 7'10" Extra-Heavy G-Loomis with a two-speed Abu Garcia 10,000C spooled up with 200# Power Pro. I too have a 300# leader from Rolf on that stick. I have the Uni-Knot....have a ton of confidence in it. One thing I do is, I double up the line and loop it through the swivel twice. That gives you FOUR lines running around that swivel. I always tie the "improved" version of the knot, to give me one extra bite to prevent any troubles.

Steve Hulbert
bfitzel
Posted 7/22/2005 10:44 PM (#154447 - in reply to #154411)

Try the knotless leader!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Muskie Barge.com!
Pike Master
Posted 7/23/2005 12:05 AM (#154452 - in reply to #154411)

Thanks for the responses guys.I will pass on the knotless leader though.I see the knotless leader comes in 80lb test only,wich would not cut it.
MuskieMedic
Posted 7/23/2005 8:34 AM (#154461 - in reply to #154411)

I have never had a Palomar fail, matter of fact I have had swivels fail because the knot held up so well on a really high load.
Beaver
Posted 7/23/2005 8:35 AM (#154463 - in reply to #154411)

I started tying a "double uni-knot" years ago and love it.
A friend of mine who fishes saltwater told me about the benefits of adding
bulk to a knot. I just double up the line, tie the uni-knot, and then hang on to the tag end while I cinch the rest down. Then you pull on the loop and the tag end individually to finish it off and trim the ends and you're in business. You have double lines going through the eye, and a strong knot to back it up. Try it out.
Beav
kevin
Posted 7/23/2005 8:46 AM (#154464 - in reply to #154411)

I only use a palomar knot myself... For knot stregnth its supposed to be the best... with uni a close 2nd I think... The Bucher Power Knot seems to be a modified Palomar by the looks of it...might be worth a try.

Edited by kevin 7/24/2005 3:53 PM
MuskieMedic
Posted 7/23/2005 9:04 AM (#154465 - in reply to #154411)

The more bends in a knot the weaker it is. That's why the Palomar is so effective. I have done high angle rope rescue and every bend in knot loses 10% of the ropes strength.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 7/23/2005 9:22 AM (#154468 - in reply to #154422)

CPR- The "Power Knot" looks like a double line cinch knot- I have been tying a seven wrap cinch knot/type of nail knot using a Tie-Fast Knot tying tool. However, I really like this one as it was very easy for me to tie by hand- Thanks for posting this here. Thank's Joe for a really good easy to tie knot!

Pike Master - No matter which knot you use, a drop of super glue will seal the deal! I us Loctite in the "Longneck" bottle. Forget about the stuff in tubes, including the "fishin glue", they are way to messy, caps loosen and leak and they dry out. The Loctite bottle is great- this is the best packaging of any super glue out there, and it's easy to open and close. I have been using this stuff for the last 4 years. I have left it over winter in my boat- no dryout and carry them in my fishing pants pockets without any leakage.

Have fun!

Edited by ESOX Maniac 7/23/2005 9:25 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Glue2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Glue2.JPG (35KB - 226 downloads)
esoxcpr
Posted 7/24/2005 2:01 PM (#154542 - in reply to #154411)

There have been tests (by manufacturers) which rate the 'knot strength' of commonly used knots. That is, the percentage of the line test being used at which that type of knot commonly breaks. The palomar knot routinely tests around 75% - 85% of the line's strength. The uni knot tests at 90% - 100% of the line's strength. From all data I've seen, there isn't a knot out there stronger than a uni. That being said, I've never had either the palomar or uni knot fail with my 80 pound Power Pro. I do use a uni in almost all instances. I only use a palomar when it's dark and I can't see well or my hands are too cold to tie a uni.
RiverMan
Posted 7/24/2005 2:55 PM (#154545 - in reply to #154411)

Hi esoxcpr, I would like to see that data if you could give me a link to it. I have an out-dated book put together by Roland Martin that compares knots and shows the Palomar to be 100% of line strength. Thanks

RM
Pike Master
Posted 7/24/2005 2:59 PM (#154546 - in reply to #154411)

Thanks again guys.The more responses,the more information.
kevin
Posted 7/24/2005 3:55 PM (#154549 - in reply to #154411)

It is also reccomended to NOT use glue on MONO to secure the nots as it can WEAKEN the knot... However I have never heard of glue being a problem with the SuperBraids..
Muskiefool
Posted 7/24/2005 4:52 PM (#154552 - in reply to #154411)

Instead of glue I tie a overhand knot on my tag end as close to the main knot as possible although I've never had one slip with the polamar knot

Edited by Muskiefool 7/24/2005 4:53 PM
esoxangler44
Posted 7/25/2005 7:25 AM (#154594 - in reply to #154411)

Been using the Palomar for the last twenty years ever since a guide friend of mine suggested it. Never had the knot fail, have had leaders break!

Edited by esoxangler44 7/27/2005 6:49 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)