Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Chippewa River?

Message Subject: Chippewa River?
City Boy
Posted 5/25/2005 4:52 PM (#148578)
Subject: Chippewa River?

Hi, I’m looking at some property in Eau Claire that has easement to the Chippewa River – right by the airport. Is the river navigable in that area? How deep? Muskies? Smallmouth?

Thanks Much!
pbrostuen
Posted 5/25/2005 5:36 PM (#148584 - in reply to #148578)
Subject: RE: Chippewa River?

Yep, fished there a ton when I was in college. Depends on your boat - I used a small 14' aluminum. The stretch you are on is pretty much deep enough for anything, but if you head upstream be careful.

Lots of smallies, enough muskies to keep things interesting and big ones, too. Not too far downstream there is a small impoundment called Dells Pond, good muskie spot. Have fun!
Fred J
Posted 5/25/2005 10:17 PM (#148625 - in reply to #148578)

City Boy,

The Chippewa River in that area is easily navigable in any boat with the following exceptions:
Upstream of Two Waters Bar would be strictly off limits unless you know that portion of the river extreamly well. Many many prop eating rocks there. Secondly....down stream of the HWY 124 (North Crossing) bridge contains many old dead heads (stumps) left over from the logging era. Use caution and motor slowly until you learn the area down stream of the bridge.

This streach of river can be fantastic smallmouth fishing, walleye fishing is good but big fish are few and far between, muskies are present in fishable numbers and an ocassional nice one is caught. Biggest problem fishing is the large amount of recreational traffic. Best fished in foul weather or weekday mornings.

Good luck,
Fred J
Mark H.
Posted 5/26/2005 6:33 AM (#148641 - in reply to #148578)

What Fred said.... If you see a grey Esox Mag out there, that's him. If you see a grey polyflake Ranger 690 out there...That's me.. Stop up and say hi.

I've been in Eau Claire for 24 years now, it's a nice place, friendly people, nice conveniences, pretty decent fishing within 20+ miles. AND it's only a few hours from MN... which is where I would be moving if fishing has anything to do with your decision.
City Boy
Posted 5/26/2005 8:43 AM (#148663 - in reply to #148578)

Thanks a bunch guys, I may have a job offer in the area. If it’s a good one I will happily move up there. The pay probably won’t be as good as down here, but I will definitely be richer if I can musky fish in my back yard. I gotta get out of this city, it’s either up north for the fishing (I’ve always secretly wanted to be a cheeze head) or down to South Carolina for the weather and a great job. I have two good opportunities, oh what to do…what to do…

Thanks again
FishingFool
Posted 5/26/2005 11:45 AM (#148710 - in reply to #148578)

There are NO muskies anywhere near Eau Claire! JK!!! If you get in the area,drop me an email,I am a fan of the Chippewa River...Paul
City Boy
Posted 5/26/2005 2:39 PM (#148738 - in reply to #148578)

How is Menomonie and Tainter? Muskies? Can you boat from one to the other?

Thanks
Fred J
Posted 5/26/2005 3:40 PM (#148751 - in reply to #148738)

Both Menomin and Tainter contain a small population of muskies. So few in fact that few people target them. They are there but there is a lot of open water between them. You cannot navigate between the lakes because of the dam at the outlet of Tainter. Both lakes have a good population of panfish and walleye but get VERY green with alge early in the season.

Fred J
City Boy
Posted 5/26/2005 4:26 PM (#148756 - in reply to #148578)

Just found a nice place on Altoona, how's fishing there?
http://www.c21dave.com/Nav.aspx/Page=%2fPageManager%2fDefault.aspx%...

Thank you very much for all the help - you guys are great
Mark H.
Posted 5/27/2005 6:37 AM (#148792 - in reply to #148578)

There are a muskies in it, and more up river. Walleye, bass, pike, panfish. So all in all not a bad choice. Nice lake to ice fish on as well.
FishingFool
Posted 5/27/2005 12:34 PM (#148869 - in reply to #148578)

If you are looking for a muskie lake near Eau Claire,try Lake Eau Claire. She can be stubborn at times but still produces.Lake EC also is a good multi species lake. Paul
Mark H.
Posted 5/27/2005 1:09 PM (#148877 - in reply to #148578)

Paul...

shhhhhhh..... No muskies in Lake EC...nope, nadda....zippo...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)