Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Raccoons & Boat Storage

Reply New post
Message Subject: Raccoons & Boat Storage
setme31
Posted 5/15/2005 8:36 PM (#147036)
Subject: Raccoons & Boat Storage

It's time for a new location to store my boat. I am currently storing my boat at a U-Store it type place. This place backs up to an open field, and my boat is parked in a parking lot. For the second time in the last year, and raccoon has gotten into my boat. The first time, it just took a dump, and chewed on some carpet in a place you couldn't see.

This time it must have lived in there all winter. There was fur everywhere, and it chewed up a bunch of wood underneath my deck. I opened the vent in the middle of my boat, and there was a bunch of wood chips below my deck. He also chewed some of the carpet on my casting deck, and tore apart my rod locker. Then he decided to take a dump on all of the wires that hook up to the batteries. Finally, he decided to chew threw my Garmin transducer wires. He gnawed on them all the way from the trolling motor to the hook up point. Then he decided to chew all the way threw the wires as the wires entered the hookup point.

Does anybody know of a good way to keep raccoons out of your boat? Also, does anybody have any suggestions for cheap storage in the Chicagoland area? Preferably near Mt. Prospect.

These pictures were taken after I drove the boat home with the top off, so a lot of the hair blew out.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(RacoonA.jpg)

(RacoonB.jpg)

(RacoonC.jpg)

(RacoonD.jpg)

(RacoonE.jpg)

(RacoonF.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments RacoonA.jpg (42KB - 225 downloads)
Attachments RacoonB.jpg (47KB - 181 downloads)
Attachments RacoonC.jpg (43KB - 171 downloads)
Attachments RacoonD.jpg (46KB - 171 downloads)
Attachments RacoonE.jpg (40KB - 194 downloads)
Attachments RacoonF.jpg (41KB - 201 downloads)
Bukes
Posted 5/15/2005 8:40 PM (#147037 - in reply to #147036)
Subject: RE: Raccoons & Boat Storage

Mama just sweeps 'em off the porch with a broom.

Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

Edited by Bukes 5/15/2005 8:41 PM
ToddM
Posted 5/15/2005 9:31 PM (#147046 - in reply to #147036)

Dude, that sucks. Indoor storage is going to run you 125 of more a month. Your best bet is hopefully somebody you know knows somebody who has a good place to store it.
kevin
Posted 5/15/2005 10:45 PM (#147052 - in reply to #147036)

OK, I am assuming your cover has an opening in back by the motor where they can get in. If so, I have the same problem. What I do is get the tinfoil coated bubble wrap and kinda mold it into the opening. This keeps the cats in mmy case out of the boat. I secure the bubble wrap to the hull with some duct tape, however I know that can possibly harm your finish on the boat especially if fibergalss... I look at it this way, they ain't getting in the boat. Bukes, lol....
MuskieMedic
Posted 5/15/2005 11:44 PM (#147060 - in reply to #147036)

You could try mothballs in all the compartments or maybe even some rat poison.
jonnysled
Posted 5/16/2005 12:02 PM (#147131 - in reply to #147036)

this isn't as crazy as it sounds, but take your last trip in the northwoods and just drop it off at Island City Motor Sports and drive away. he'll fog it and store it indoors for under $400.00 (mine was $400.00, but it's a 20' boat), then make a trip in the spring for the walleye opener and drive it home to fish.

more and more people are starting to understand the "value" of just leaving seasonal stuff up here.

this may not work in your circumstances, but others maybe could take a look at this option.

snowmobiles are $150.00 for fogging and seasonal storage.

i love the convenience of just unhitching and driving off with a smile and no hassles.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 5/24/2005 12:50 AM (#148260 - in reply to #147036)

I dont know if you are planning on an insurance claim here but a word of advice. I know some companies consider certain critters as rodents and others just niusance (sp?). This may make a difference in whether or not you get you claim settled. A friend had a case where a chipmunk took residence in is cabin over the winter and destroyed many things that would have been covered if the damage were done by a rat. I'm not suggesting to defraud your insurance company but be advised there may be a difference
setme31
Posted 5/24/2005 9:05 AM (#148287 - in reply to #147036)

Thanks Karl.

I'm not going to put in a claim. There is no way I could prove that this was a raccoon. I'm just assuming it was a raccoon. They could probably have analyzed the poop, but I doubt they would take the time. Plus it is already cleaned up.

It took about 2 days, but I have all of the mess cleaned up. I glued all of the capet back down. I also took a lint brush to the entire boat. It was the only way to get the hair up. After that, I steam cleaned the carpet, and scrubbed it with a soft brush. Then I spent about 3 hours soldering all of my wires back together.

After all of that, I decided to wax and polish the boat. I then cleaned the outboard with Simple Green. Man, that is great stuff. It removed all of the grease that has been building up over the last 5 years.

I'm in the process of building a casting deck with built in storage. It should be a great use of space when I am all done.
sworrall
Posted 5/26/2005 9:15 AM (#148674 - in reply to #148287)

Moth Balls, and a bunch of them, in open boxes. Near everything hates the fumes from those things.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 5/27/2005 2:50 AM (#148784 - in reply to #147036)

Yeah including fishermen, pfew!!!!
Bytor
Posted 5/27/2005 8:53 AM (#148816 - in reply to #148674)

sworrall - 5/26/2005 9:15 AM

Moth Balls, and a bunch of them, in open boxes. Near everything hates the fumes from those things.

I agree with sworrall. Do not use rodent poison it might draw rodents to your boat.
out2llunge
Posted 5/27/2005 10:40 AM (#148852 - in reply to #147036)

I use "Bounce" dryer sheets. It keeps the mice out (not sure about coons) and it makes the boat smell good.
davep
Posted 5/31/2005 8:27 AM (#149124 - in reply to #147036)

Scott:
Holy Crap! Parden the pun. I once stored my boat indoors at a place on Lake cook rd East of 294 on the North side of the street. I cant remember the name. It was set off the road about a block. It isnt that cheap but it was inside. I thought it was Storage USA but i cant find the location on the net.
fishpoop
Posted 6/9/2005 1:23 AM (#150133 - in reply to #147036)

I was reading a thread on another board about keeping mice out of the boat. Of course, mothballs were suggested. Others then posted that they had tried it and it didn't work. I personally don't know as I have never tried it myself. I am fortunent (sp?) in that mine stays in my garage year around. I have had mice in the boat and all I do for that is to put mouse poison in it. I don't have pet or kids to worry about and it fixes their behind permanently.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)