Please register or Login
MuskieFIRST | WalleyeFIRST | SalmonFIRST | IceFishing | WhitetailFIRST | BassFIRST | OutdoorsFIRST Upload
Spring Bay Resort Lake Vermilli0n, MN

Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> How big does a musky have to be for you to keep it?

How big does a musky have to be for you to keep it?
OptionResults
Would never keep one!
World record contender
65 pounds or bigger
60 pounds or bigger
55 pounds or bigger
50 pounds or bigger
45 pounds or bigger
40 pounds or bigger
60 inches or bigger
55 inches or bigger
54 inches or bigger
53 inches or bigger
52 inches or bigger
51 inches or bigger
50 inches or bigger
48 inches or bigger
45 inches or bigger
40 inches or bigger
First legal...haven't caught one yet
Keep all the legals
state record
Attempt to keep all fish alive. Keep any legal that is not able to revive
420 pounds
Add your own option:

Message Subject: How big does a musky have to be for you to keep it?
Jomusky
Posted 6/5/2004 8:12 AM (#108703)
Subject: How big does a musky have to be for you to keep it?

This should be interesting...

Please reply to this post to keep it on the first page for a while.
mikie
Posted 6/5/2004 8:39 AM (#108706 - in reply to #108703)
Subject: RE: How big does a musky have to be for you to keep it?

Anything over two feet is good eatin size, right? Smaller than that and the bones are hard to pick out.
Psych!
m
Webguy
Posted 6/5/2004 8:49 AM (#108707 - in reply to #108703)

I added state record. That means at least 42lbs. 13oz. for me to even consider keeping one. But what the hell would I do with it? It wouldn't fit in my livewell, I don't have a cooler big enough and it definetely wouldn't fit in my freezer. If I was blessed with such a hog I'd be in quite a dilemma. I picture myself wondering what to do, thinking it all the way through, then letting her go. But it would be tempting to have a record.
muskihntr
Posted 6/5/2004 12:24 PM (#108710 - in reply to #108703)

you can bash me all u want but a 60# + is getting thumped. if ya dont like it i really dont care.
slimm
Posted 6/5/2004 4:02 PM (#108712 - in reply to #108703)

No need to keep any unless it is a WR. With a high quality digital camera, or video camera and the work that can be done with reproductions, no need IMO.
ESOXER
Posted 6/5/2004 8:01 PM (#108720 - in reply to #108703)

World Record and nothin else
MiserMike
Posted 6/6/2004 6:47 AM (#108729 - in reply to #108703)

WR only -- but I posted a follow-up poll. Can I have my cake and eat it too?
Beaver
Posted 6/6/2004 7:42 AM (#108732 - in reply to #108703)

I wouldn't keep any. With all of the crap that we throw at eachother or at other people that catch and keep big fish, I'd just get some good pics and save myself all the trouble of having people crawling up my butt with a microscope trying to disprove the fish, the legality of the catch. photo analysis etc.
History has proven that it just isn't worth the hastle or the scrutiny that you have to endure.
Beaver
Chico
Posted 6/6/2004 5:32 PM (#108743 - in reply to #108703)

I would never keep any, even a WR could be bigger next year.Even if I had one die on me I'd slit it's belly and put it back from where it came and ultimately belongs. The alternatives... 60lb of rotting carcas, a taxidermy trophy that will never be as nice as a photo or something that would never taste as good as it looks. CPR everytime no matter what.
mikie
Posted 6/6/2004 5:56 PM (#108745 - in reply to #108703)

here's one that was a keeper:

Ed Lawton likes to go out muskie fishing for a few hours after work. On January 27, 2004, it paid off big-time. Ed had already amassed an impressive string of muskies for the new year: 8 below 40 inches and 3 above in January, alone. When he put his boat in the water that Tuesday afternoon, he had no idea he would meet his fish of a lifetime. Ed was trolling alone out of his AlumiCraft jon boat, which he has rigged with a 40 hp Yammy jet drive. "I can go anywhere in this rig," he told me. "This stretch of the New River in SW Virginia is one of the New's widest spots, but at most it only runs 17 feet deep and there are lots of snags."

Ed was trolling a single line with a Lil Ernie prism shad when the monster fish hit. They fought about ten minutes before Ed won the battle. But, it was close. "I had her in the net three times! When you're fishin by yourself it's a whole new ballgame. I finally had to net the fish headfirst, even though I knew I might lose the bait in the net. It was the only way I could land her."

When the battle was over, the fish measured 53 inches, with a 24.5" girth. "I've caught and released dozens of muskies, and I always said if I could get one over 50 inches I would keep it." A friend took this photo of the two. Ed is no stranger to big fish, last year he caught and released Muskies, Inc.'s February Lunker of the Month, a 44 inch fish from the same river.

Ed's been fishing for muskies since 1990, and is a two-year member of Muskies, Inc. West Virginia Chapter 09. He used a Team Diawa Musky Rod and a Garcia reel spooled with 20 pound test Big Game Mono to land his trophy. The current Virginia state record muskie goes 45 pounds, 0 oz.

m

Edited by mikie 6/6/2004 6:06 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(newriverskiEDLawton.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments newriverskiEDLawton.jpg (26KB - 6 downloads)
Jaeger
Posted 6/6/2004 7:12 PM (#108747 - in reply to #108703)

I voted WR contender....if she was there, in my boat and I thought she might be the one, yep, she'd take a ride with me. If this were to ever happen, it would once and for all quiet alot of people down on the record issue. If anyone were to bash me for doing this, well...I'd get over it, like immediately
ToddM
Posted 6/6/2004 8:56 PM (#108759 - in reply to #108703)

I would never keep one unles it died on me. Even if I caught the record my love for the hayward taliban would keep me from ever being recognized anyway.
muskyboy
Posted 6/7/2004 1:11 AM (#108781 - in reply to #108703)

I would only keep a certain world record of 70 pounds or over....Unless some future policy change enables me to keep it alive, weigh it on a certified scale with DNR/MNR presence, and then release it alive.

Steve
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 6/7/2004 9:34 AM (#108813 - in reply to #108703)

I wouldn't keep any. World record, I don't care about that fame. If they died, something in nature can get more use out of a dead muskie than I.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 6/7/2004 12:06 PM (#108834 - in reply to #108813)

I let a 57 x 27 go, so you know where I stand on this ussue.

If I caught a WR I might have to think about it, most people would thump it and reap the rewards.

Only one way to tell. You have to catch it first, then decide what to do about it. Also it depends on where you caught it. It might be a lake X and you can't give that up. Decisions, decisions, I can't wait to have that problem.
B.Schaeffer
Posted 6/7/2004 2:43 PM (#108845 - in reply to #108703)

World Record = DEAD

Edited by B.Schaeffer 6/7/2004 2:44 PM
kevin
Posted 6/7/2004 11:02 PM (#108924 - in reply to #108703)

I put 53"and it would have to be real fat... Gotta get something over 42.5" before I am really gonna worry about it... 42.5" is my biggest fish and it was released... With nice replicas it is totally possible I would get one.. but if this fish is state or world record? Sorry, more then likely a state record could end up on the wall. Though where I fish the DNR just says proper witnesses(unbiased), along with photographed measurements, and a certified scale and the fish can swim free.... and still be the state record. World Record on my line is gonna die..Sorry. No regrets, no worries, no question about it...
Ranger
Posted 6/7/2004 11:19 PM (#108928 - in reply to #108703)

While I respect each individual's response to this one, I can't see myself killing a big fish. I guess don't care to impress others or make money off a lucky world record catch. I would surely take a pic or 5, but then let it go.
jt
Posted 6/8/2004 5:36 PM (#109013 - in reply to #108703)

OOOOOWWWWWWWWW! I can hear that fishes head pulling away from her body!
A little love andSUPPORT go alllllooooonnnnngggggg way! I know walleye fisherman who hold a fish better. Not trying to dog you but that hold is hellacious and on such an old monarch and I don't know if you kept her or not but after that well....anyways nice fish!
buddysolberg
Posted 6/8/2004 8:31 PM (#109035 - in reply to #108703)

I don't honestly know except that since 1976 I haven't felt like keeping any. Not even my largest at 53".
My Mom still wants one to bake like in the "old" days but I haven't had one die yet that I know about.

Is there a right or wrong answer?

Buddy
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 6/9/2004 8:13 AM (#109067 - in reply to #108703)

I get a kick out of the majority who said, "I'd never keep one". What a crock of BS that is. If you had a fish that was a WR pig, how are you NOT going to keep it?

I dont agree with muskihntr too often, but if I'm looking a 60+" fish in the eyes, she's getting really familiar with the inside of my livewell, then my wall.

I dont keep fish, I love the idea of CPR, but that's a fish too good to pass on.
JAY SBMC
Posted 6/9/2004 1:13 PM (#109122 - in reply to #108703)

I voted for keeping a World Record, but kind of humerous, since I only buy conservation licenses in Canada,so that option isn,t even available.I guess I am expressing approval to those that would, and have said before I hope someone does keep it.Been a lot of blood spilled over the world record issue, and would nice to have a fish put all of the others into the also ran, catagory.It,s one frickin fish that is probably way past the reproductive age, and only a matter of shortly becoming turtle food floating belly up.Would much rather see it on a wall than that.
E's musky Baits
Posted 6/9/2004 4:37 PM (#109151 - in reply to #108703)

I went with wouldn't keep one. But after I voted There might be one fish out there that I might keep. But I don't know what that is yet for me. I cought my best last year 46" and I didn't think of keeping it. I couldn't wait to see her swim off. So I don't know what it would take for me to keep one.
MuskyMidget
Posted 6/9/2004 6:11 PM (#109155 - in reply to #108703)

I voted World Record, only because I didn't see State Record until after.

State Record = A thump you could hear from Mille Lacs to Cave Run.

BigMo
Posted 6/9/2004 7:01 PM (#109157 - in reply to #108703)

Would like to have answered "never keep one".....

However, I am too competitive and because I would think long and hard about keeping a potential world record, "a world record contender" is what I answered.

Assuming the fish would be a world record, I am also just ornery enough where I wouldn't give two sh_ _ts concern to those that question a/my record. I would know that I followed all protocol and mandatory requirements to verify the record, without doctoring the fish, and that would be good enough for me.

It would be a privilege to go through the good and bad that would come with a world record. One should be so fortunate to have the choice to keep a fish such as that.
BigMo
Posted 6/9/2004 7:03 PM (#109158 - in reply to #108703)

Would like to have answered "never keep one".....

However, I am too competitive and because I would think long and hard about keeping a potential world record, "a world record contender" is what I answered.

Assuming the fish was deemed the world record, I am also just ornery enough where I wouldn't give two sh_ _ts concern to those that question a/my record. I would know that I followed all protocol and mandatory requirements to verify the record, without doctoring the fish, and that would be good enough for me.

It would be a privilege to go through the good and bad that would come with a world record. One should be so fortunate to have the choice to keep a fish such as that or not.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Humminbird

(Delete all cookies set by this site)