Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> warm water near cold deep water

Message Subject: warm water near cold deep water
NPike
Posted 6/30/2018 12:30 PM (#911218)
Subject: warm water near cold deep water

The surface temps will be jumping up after a week in the 90’s. The lake I fish “most often” has shallow weedy edges (almost swampy) and then it drops off rapidly to (45 to 67)’. What I perceive as happening in the warm months is the tigers often stay near the thermocline, but sometimes come into the edges of the deeper weeds - dropoff to feed.
Say the surface water is in the high 70’s even close to 80 degrees F. Do you feel catching the fish (15 to 20)’ down is still a concern for the fish, since fish can go back into the nearby deep water and cool down get– oxygenated afterwards.
Reelwise
Posted 6/30/2018 8:56 PM (#911245 - in reply to #911218)
Subject: Re: warm water near cold deep water

A fish that is hooked in deep, colder water... fought... brought up to warmer water temperatures in the high 70's-low 80's... and taken out of the water - is not going to be very comfortable.

I would suggest fishing when the surface temps are below 80... and would stick with targeting fish no deeper than 10-20'. While I do not feel many Muskies will be in water any deeper than that as far as where they are positioned (pure Muskies, Tigers may go deeper)... some feel that bringing Muskies up from water over 20-25' deep might not be so good for them during the warmer months - if ever. This is fish depth... you are just fine targeting Muskies over 20-25'+... I would just keep the lures no deeper than 10-15-20'. The point is to target fish that are willing to come out of their comfort-zone... not drag them out of it.

Best of luck.

Edited by Reelwise 6/30/2018 9:02 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)