Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> spinning combo

Message Subject: spinning combo
davemp
Posted 6/16/2018 10:59 AM (#910053)
Subject: spinning combo

I consider myself a casual fisherman at best these days. After being ill for over a year I feel well enough to do some bank fishing for musky and other species. I was especially involved in steelhead before I got ill and hope to get to it again. However now I would like to try musky fishing with spinning gear. I currently have a Cabela's Predator Musky rod rated for up to a 4oz. lure and 30lb. line. I have a Shimano Stradic 5000 HGFK reel mounted on it with 40lb. braid.
I don't want to change reels as I feel that this is a good one and I think the rod is ok too.
What I want to know is there a different rod that I could be using to make this a more versatile combo. Maybe longer, heavier and a 2pc. would be nice.
davemp

davemp
Posted 6/22/2018 1:08 PM (#910569 - in reply to #910053)
Subject: Re: spinning combo

What do you guys think of this outfit? Would this be a pretty good combo or would you recommend something else? I probably wouldn't be using any of the really big and heavy lures' maybe up to 5oz. or so. I really would appreciate some input.
Thank you,
Davemp
RLSea
Posted 6/22/2018 8:36 PM (#910584 - in reply to #910053)

I think the problem here is that muskie fishermen, me included, do not usually use spinning outfits for muskies. Not that large spinning reels like the one you have can't handle a big fish, they certainly can. The problem comes with casting - especially larger lures. While I don't have any suggestions for you regarding a good rod, I'm sure a heavy action rod at least 7 ft. long would be a good starting point.
NPike
Posted 6/23/2018 10:43 AM (#910614 - in reply to #910569)

I tried that Cabela's rod wasn't overly impressed. The Mojo Musky rods from Saint Croix should do the trick. They are available in a similar bait range and can be purchased at longer lengths. The Stadic 5000 is more than enough IMO.
monsterlures
Posted 6/23/2018 2:05 PM (#910621 - in reply to #910053)

Alot of the big pike guys in europe use the stradic in 4000 and 5000 sizes to cast lures up to 6-8 inches witout issiue, so i wouldint worry about it holding up or anything like that

For the rod, you could maybe order from europe, rods such as the savage gear mpp2 spinning series are great for the applications you described, and they are up to 8'6 feet in lenght
Beastly Backlash
Posted 6/25/2018 12:03 AM (#910695 - in reply to #910053)

Tackle Industries has a line of saltwater spinning rods under the name Vexan. The rods are built on the musky blanks and should be a good choice if you need a spinning rod for musky fishing. Unfortunately, there are no two piece versions of these rods yet, though I am hopeful for some 2-piece spinning versions of these rods as they would be awesome to have for travel purposes.
tackleaddict
Posted 6/25/2018 8:11 AM (#910705 - in reply to #910053)

I have a cabelas salt striker rod that I have people use that cant cast a baitcaster. it is 2 piece, has a great big extended handle, and actually fishes pretty decent.
sworrall
Posted 6/25/2018 8:50 AM (#910709 - in reply to #910695)

Beastly Backlash - 6/25/2018 12:03 AM

Tackle Industries has a line of saltwater spinning rods under the name Vexan. The rods are built on the musky blanks and should be a good choice if you need a spinning rod for musky fishing. Unfortunately, there are no two piece versions of these rods yet, though I am hopeful for some 2-piece spinning versions of these rods as they would be awesome to have for travel purposes.

This!
davemp
Posted 6/25/2018 11:30 AM (#910736 - in reply to #910053)

Thank you all for the replies...davemp
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)