Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Powerdrive to Terrova

Reply New post
Message Subject: Powerdrive to Terrova
TSMUSKY89
Posted 5/20/2018 7:09 PM (#906901)
Subject: Powerdrive to Terrova

I''ve switched my trolling motor from a power drive to a terrova. I bought it used and the guy snipped the power cable off to use on his next motor. He snipped it right next to the base, so I don't have enough cord to use the existing cord to plug in. So my question is, can I use the cord from my power drive on my terrova? The cord from my power drive is a 10g. I believe the remaining terrova cord is 8g, but theres not enough cord to read the label. Thanks!
danmuskyman
Posted 5/20/2018 8:03 PM (#906902 - in reply to #906901)
Subject: Re: Powerdrive to Terrova

Not sure why you would need the whole cord off any motor instead of just the plug, but since you have to splice the wires anyways just get a couple feet of the correct gauge wire and be done. It’s not that expensive
TSMUSKY89
Posted 5/20/2018 9:04 PM (#906906 - in reply to #906901)

That's what I was thinking. The guy cut it and left me with 4 inches of cord to work with. Isn't too difficult to remove a plug, but maybe it was for that guy. I'll pick up some 8 gauge.
Wimuskyfisherman
Posted 5/21/2018 1:06 PM (#906935 - in reply to #906901)
Subject: RE: Powerdrive to Terrova

It comes down to wire gauge. In a perfect world you would never put a smaller diameter wire onto a larger one . However... If it is only one gauge down and the 10AWG wire is pretty short, I think it will work. If you do it, monitor how hot that wire is getting the first few times you use it. You can just check by feeling with your hand. If it feels warm, that is OK but if it feels pretty hot, you may want to change.
ToddM
Posted 5/21/2018 4:29 PM (#906954 - in reply to #906901)

Was there a thrust difference between the two? Definitely get the heavier wire.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)