Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> would you buy a used boat/motor with new powerhead

Reply New post
Message Subject: would you buy a used boat/motor with new powerhead
Dave T.
Posted 4/26/2018 3:13 PM (#905086)
Subject: would you buy a used boat/motor with new powerhead

im looking at a used boat, 2003 that has a 150 yamaha vmax with a new powerhead.

is this a bad thing? will the engine blow again eventually?? what causes this so that it has to be replaced?

i know nothing about this, just heard of some merc optimax's that have had this problem in the past, so i thought i would ask..

thanks

Edited by Dave T. 4/26/2018 3:30 PM
RyanJoz
Posted 4/26/2018 3:53 PM (#905093 - in reply to #905086)
Subject: Re: would you buy a used boat/motor with new powerhead

Do you trust the dealer that did the powerhead work? Does he have paperwork? Did he do it himself?

I would have more questions than just "does it have a new powerhead". I would still start with compression/leak down (with a warmed up engine), spark, and fuel delivery troubleshooting steps. I would verify these items for any used motor, not just one with a new powerhead.
Dave T.
Posted 4/26/2018 4:10 PM (#905097 - in reply to #905093)

RyanJoz - 4/26/2018 3:53 PM

Do you trust the dealer that did the powerhead work? Does he have paperwork? Did he do it himself?

I would have more questions than just "does it have a new powerhead". I would still start with compression/leak down (with a warmed up engine), spark, and fuel delivery troubleshooting steps. I would verify these items for any used motor, not just one with a new powerhead.

he said it was purchased as a full unit, the same with the foot and prop. was all done at a marina near him
horsehunter
Posted 4/26/2018 4:11 PM (#905098 - in reply to #905086)

What's the reputation of that motor is a blown powerhead a common problem. I would be cautious.
Musky Brian
Posted 4/26/2018 4:38 PM (#905102 - in reply to #905098)

VMAX were not bad engines for that time frame at all. I personally wouldn’t buy a motor on a second powerhead...keep shopping. There’s too many stories across brands of powerhead 2 going *poof*
Dave T.
Posted 4/26/2018 5:34 PM (#905108 - in reply to #905102)

Musky Brian - 4/26/2018 4:38 PM

VMAX were not bad engines for that time frame at all. I personally wouldn’t buy a motor on a second powerhead...keep shopping. There’s too many stories across brands of powerhead 2 going *poof*

ya i was kind of leaning that way too, probably why its been for sale for a month and still available.

maybe i could repower it? do they take trades on old motors??
horsehunter
Posted 4/26/2018 6:10 PM (#905112 - in reply to #905086)

Is it a dealer or a private sale? There are lots of good boats out there without buying something with warts. If its a dealer and you really like the boat offer to buy it without the motor and see if he wants it.
Troyz.
Posted 4/27/2018 5:38 PM (#905242 - in reply to #905112)

If a complete unit it should be fine, but if it the boat you want low ball and look at repowering if you see having the boat for long time, if a short time boat in the grand picture go for it for a few years.

Troyz
danmuskyman
Posted 4/27/2018 9:17 PM (#905263 - in reply to #905086)

Stuff happens to all brands of engines. If it was replaced properly and with factory parts, you have nothing to worry about/
jonnysled
Posted 4/29/2018 9:30 AM (#905370 - in reply to #905108)

Dave T. - 4/26/2018 5:34 PM

Musky Brian - 4/26/2018 4:38 PM

ya i was kind of leaning that way too, probably why its been for sale for a month and still available.

maybe i could repower it? do they take trades on old motors??

i sold an old motor when i re-powered. it wasn't take as a "trade-in" but sold on consignment in a way that i didn't have to handle it so it worked out great. don't expect too much and you'll have to find a dealer that will work with you and allow them to make some money on the deal. anytime you buy an old boat with a 2-stroke hanging off the back, be prepared for a major repair and/or re-power. i got 3 seasons out of the motor that was on my boat, re-powered and considering another re-power now. the numbers look good based on what i have and what i'm considering. it's still a lot cheaper than new, just requires more cash and planning.
dKrum
Posted 4/30/2018 4:15 PM (#905472 - in reply to #905086)

Dave - Is there any wood in this boat (transom or floor boards) that might need replacing in the near future? If you are thinking about about a re-power, that might be something to take into consideration. If you re-power now and then have to replace the transom in a year, that would be a big investment.
detroithardcore
Posted 5/11/2018 11:38 AM (#906251 - in reply to #905086)

Back in 2008 I bought a 2006 Boat with a 2008 E-Tec new power head. I was very nervous but everything checked out and seller was honest. The new power head had 76 hours on it and now has well over 500 hours from me and still working perfectly to this day. I've yet to have 1 issue with the outboard. Not 1...it's been flawless. At that time there was a lot of stories of bad E-Tec's and it's been by far the best outboard I've ever owned or been around. Maybe I was lucky but I certainly wouldn't shy away from a new Powerhead. Good dealers will correct the issue and essentially you have a newer less worn motor.

Edited by detroithardcore 5/11/2018 11:47 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)