Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Quick Strike Rigs in MN Legal Q

Message Subject: Quick Strike Rigs in MN Legal Q
nar160
Posted 4/19/2018 5:48 PM (#904139)
Subject: Quick Strike Rigs in MN Legal Q

Anyone ever been checked for the 9" max between hooks law?

Reference: https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing_regs.p...

See page 30. Snapshot is attached.

I haven't measured, but it sure seems like a lot of rigs with a nose attachment and two separate wires going to the hooks would not meet this requirement.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(multiple hooks reg.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments multiple hooks reg.JPG (49KB - 420 downloads)
Cfollow
Posted 4/19/2018 7:11 PM (#904148 - in reply to #904139)
Subject: RE: Quick Strike Rigs in MN Legal Q

To answer you question, I have never been checked. I am not sure that applies to quick strike rigs and even if it did there isn't a chance in he11 I am going to use a rig with only a 4.5" lead on one side with a 20" sucker. I will be perfectly happy violating that rule if it in fact does apply.
nar160
Posted 4/19/2018 8:20 PM (#904159 - in reply to #904139)
Subject: Re: Quick Strike Rigs in MN Legal Q

Reading through the regulations I don't see why it wouldn't apply. A few years back a CO mentioned this rule to me when pike fishing on the ice, but he didn't bother checking our lines. Never really thought of it again until coming across it in the regs now.

Seems like if they wanted to ding people for not following it would be pretty trivial with all the boats dragging suckers in Oct and Nov. Maybe it's just not enforced?

If you needed to comply, you (1) don't use a hook to hold the nose - use a rubber band or clip-n-go style clip and (2) run a single wire back to the front most hook, and then a wire from that hook to the rear hook. As long as those two hooks were less than 9" apart, you'd be ok. Seems like that wouldn't work as good for hook sets as an independent wire down each side.
Cfollow
Posted 4/19/2018 8:37 PM (#904162 - in reply to #904159)

I had to laugh at the figure after looking at those two diagrams again. One has the 9" measured from hook attachment points while the other has it to the end of the hooks. Which one is it?
Espy
Posted 4/20/2018 8:34 AM (#904186 - in reply to #904139)

I don't think you would ever encounter a CO that would enforce this when applied to Muskie fishing. This regulation was written up well before big suckers were being used with quick strike rigs.
tolle141
Posted 4/20/2018 1:01 PM (#904213 - in reply to #904139)

+1 for what Epsy said.

The point of the rules is to limit the ability of people to set multiple baits to catch multiple fish. If you're fishing a monster sucker for muskies, a CO isn't going to penalize you for using a quick strike rig larger than 9 inches if it means a safer release for the fish.
true tiger tamer
Posted 4/21/2018 12:24 PM (#904347 - in reply to #904139)

Wasn't it bypassed in the past by adding a spinner blade, thus making it a "lure"?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)