Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> NW Ontario Trout Water Opener

Message Subject: NW Ontario Trout Water Opener
tswoboda
Posted 4/19/2018 3:12 PM (#904127)
Subject: NW Ontario Trout Water Opener

Kicking around the idea of trying something different this year and that is fishing some trout water... Crow, Whitefish Bay, or somewhere similar. My understanding is the fish are most vulnerable either post spawn in bays or late fall trolling. The post spawn shallow fishing really intrigues me, but I have no idea really where to start.

So anyone who has experience fishing some trout water around opener please chime in to give me a general push in the right direction. Just basic stuff like what kind of bays to look for, conditions that have fish going or turned off, and go to baits. Feel free to PM as well.

Thanks!
Booch
Posted 4/19/2018 9:57 PM (#904166 - in reply to #904127)
Subject: Re: NW Ontario Trout Water Opener

I've been to Crow 3 times. One of my favorite lakes, but it's not for everyone (some in my group hate it). Never done an opener (we go in July), but from what I hear if you find the sandy bottom bays (which are pretty easy to find) or head up north where the water is moving, you'll have some fun around the opener. Long casts are necessary, and you really don't need to go that big. I throw single and double 8s the majority of the time. Red/Nickel is my go-to. Happy to give you more info in a PM, if you want.

Edited by Booch 4/20/2018 7:32 AM
tswoboda
Posted 4/20/2018 10:24 AM (#904199 - in reply to #904166)

Booch - 4/19/2018 9:57 PM

I've been to Crow 3 times. One of my favorite lakes, but it's not for everyone (some in my group hate it). Never done an opener (we go in July), but from what I hear if you find the sandy bottom bays (which are pretty easy to find) or head up north where the water is moving, you'll have some fun around the opener. Long casts are necessary, and you really don't need to go that big. I throw single and double 8s the majority of the time. Red/Nickel is my go-to. Happy to give you more info in a PM, if you want.

Thanks for the reply. The small red/nickel blades sounds like what I've always been told by the Trinkners at Muskie Bay. Is that where you stay? They always talk about the great opener shallow casting bite and then mostly night trolling the rest of the summer. I didn't mention in my original post but I have spent a hundred plus days on trout water lakes... but they've all been in the winter - ice fishing - for trout. That's what piqued my interest but I'd prefer to get in on a good casting bite rather than trolling.
dtaijo174
Posted 4/20/2018 2:20 PM (#904230 - in reply to #904127)

FYI - Lake trout are salmonids and therefore spawn in the fall, not spring. I wasn't sure what you meant. In any case, early spring they are very high in the water column and can be targeted via casting. Perhaps Don Pursch can comment here.

One thing to consider about Crow is that the trout there taste... different. They don't seem to carry as much oil/fat as other lakers. I wasn't a fan. I believe it has something to do with the forage base, but I'm not expert...
jvlast15
Posted 4/20/2018 2:47 PM (#904238 - in reply to #904230)

He is talking about wanting to fish muskies...
DonPursch
Posted 4/21/2018 7:10 AM (#904320 - in reply to #904127)
Subject: RE: NW Ontario Trout Water Opener

30 years on trout water for the Muskie opener, and it’s a real timing thing. Whit I mean is when bays that are So. Facing and the water temps are right around 63 degrees
The fish are there. So be it an early Spring or a later spring meaning ice out time. And the season not opening until the 3rd Sat. In June the females might still be in the shallows or they have left and just the males are still roaming around. If you are not finding them in shallow Females I mean, they are done with there spawn I always went to reefs adjacent to the spawning areas and there they are. Sounds crazy but that is what they do. Small baits don’t be in a hurry, and bright colors in clear water. I tumbled on the red and yellow combination to be a top producer over the years,but smaller Mepps show girls, all yellow bright day brite lures dark day dark colors. Every cast is an Expression of hope you must keep hunting !!! Enjoy !
DonPursch
Posted 4/21/2018 7:28 AM (#904325 - in reply to #904320)

I forgot to mention they will be right on top basking in the sun and feeling the warmth of the sun they have been cold along time and need to rest from the ordeal of the spawn. They get beat up on the back half of there bodys from the spawn also, must be Very gentle with them always but in the spring more so.
tswoboda
Posted 4/21/2018 11:37 PM (#904423 - in reply to #904127)

Thanks for the input Don! Always great to hear from one of the masters. Are you're parts referring to Rowan? I'm curious how your early season experiences on Rowan compared to the ultra clear lakes like Crow, WFB, Dryberry, etc.
greyghost
Posted 4/22/2018 1:10 AM (#904425 - in reply to #904325)

One more time: Lakers spawn in the fall, Sept to Dec.
DonPursch
Posted 4/22/2018 6:51 AM (#904433 - in reply to #904423)

Hey thanks ! I have fished them all stable weather leading up to the opener and after
Really determines how the progression of the spawn turns out and really sets the tone
For the rest of the summer. I have seen them spawning well into july and some may just not dump their eggs at all. The guide lines for all the great trout waters hold pretty true. Just don’t forget to enjoy the hunt !
14ledo81
Posted 4/22/2018 6:52 AM (#904434 - in reply to #904425)

greyghost - 4/22/2018 1:10 AM

One more time: Lakers spawn in the fall, Sept to Dec.

Correct. I don't think anyone is arguing that though.

The conversation is about fishing muskies in clear "trout water" lakes.
greyghost
Posted 4/22/2018 1:00 PM (#904451 - in reply to #904434)

Gotcha!
Booch
Posted 4/23/2018 12:45 PM (#904617 - in reply to #904199)

tswoboda - 4/20/2018 10:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. The small red/nickel blades sounds like what I've always been told by the Trinkners at Muskie Bay. Is that where you stay? They always talk about the great opener shallow casting bite and then mostly night trolling the rest of the summer. I didn't mention in my original post but I have spent a hundred plus days on trout water lakes... but they've all been in the winter - ice fishing - for trout. That's what piqued my interest but I'd prefer to get in on a good casting bite rather than trolling.

Yep, that's where we stay. Great place. They do love their trolling there, but I've never done it. I prefer casting, too.
CrowLakeFreak
Posted 4/30/2018 10:11 PM (#905493 - in reply to #904127)

I have a cabin on Crow, right next to Trinkner's. I will say that while I am no Muskie expert but I do spend a lot of days and nights chasing them. I've seen the most active fish at the opener around or just outside the sandy bays as long as the timing is right. Without a doubt the small red tinsel/silver or nickel blade is the go to early on. Showgirl/Baby Girl or smaller. Crow has very few weedy bays so you will need to find other structure to fish as the year goes on and possibly at the opener if they have already moved out, plenty of reefs and points and saddles. Night trolling can be awesome around the full moon during the summer months.. It can also be extremely frustrating. Muskie Bay gets a nice group for Muskie opener every year and has a pizza night/social for it every year. You also have the ability to access Stevens Bay/Sabaskong and Whitefish from there if you want a little variety.
HNTNBUX
Posted 5/2/2018 7:20 AM (#905605 - in reply to #905493)

I have fished Crow for lake trout through the ice for several years and that has convinced me to give it a try for the musky opener this year. I just started musky fishing last summer and I am borderline obsessed. In March I may have found two shallow weedy bays...weeds came up when I drilled holes...are the sandy bays better early or in a particular part of the lake? When working these bays are you still hitting the shorelines or casting throughout the whole bay? I know I have a lot to learn and I am open to any advice.

Thanks
CrowLakeFreak
Posted 5/3/2018 10:04 PM (#905734 - in reply to #905605)

During opener they can be right up tight to the shoreline in the bays if the ice out was late and temps are cool. I've caught them as shallow as 3 feet. If things are warming up they will often be staging along shorelines and points just outside the bays. With warm temps you may be wasting your time fishing shallow and you may as well find some structure. With the very limited weeds in Crow you need to find good rock structure that will hold fish (reefs, humps & points). Some bays have patches of weeds but there are very few bays that I would consider to be weedy by the standards of most other lakes, especially LOTW. A lot of the bay's on Crow are flat no weeds and no structure, dead water in my opinion. Look for cabbage, which there is some but not a lot. It's hard to say where things will be at come the opener this year. With a fairly late ice out I expected everything to be a little behind but the past week has been very warm which should be getting things back to a somewhat normal schedule. The sand bays are good early on, post spawn they will start moving out. I have caught fish all over the lake so I wouldn't necessary say the north end is better than the east. General rule of thumb is west facing sand bays, which there are a few, but I've seen a lot of fish around a few east facing bays as well. The big thing to remember is, there are always fish out on the main water, I've caught Muskies (by accident) trolling for trout in May when they should surely all be in the bays spawning. Don't be afraid to try different techniques if you are not seeing fish. The beautiful thing about Crow is, you can see the follows from 50 feet out with the clear water. They don't seem to like any large profile baits early. I'd say pick an area, or bay and work it and see if anything gives you a look. I spent a lot of hours out there with no action, can't get discouraged because the Muskies on Crow are worth the work and the wait! Do you stay at Muskie Bay?

Edited by CrowLakeFreak 5/3/2018 10:05 PM
HNTNBUX
Posted 5/7/2018 7:27 AM (#905934 - in reply to #905734)

I am staying at Muskie Bay Resort. After looking at aerial photos of the lake a lot of the bays appear to have fairly large boulders or rock in them...I would imagine those are the bays to avoid in favor of locating sand or finding the points and entrances to the bays.

I will also focus on the shoreline within the bays. Thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)