Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Tailwaters

Message Subject: Tailwaters
CincySkeez
Posted 4/19/2018 7:56 AM (#904060)
Subject: Tailwaters

Been doing a lot of google earthing because conditions are horrible down here, but it made me think about my summer plans. Glad I picked up that 12ft Goldenhawk 3 years ago.

Down here in S. OH, KY and TN I focus on tailwaters of lakes that are stocked because I like river fishing and find the fish much less pressured, despite being a lower density of fish I have more success. This line of thinking has opened up a whole new world of possibilities up north. I know of plenty of stocked and unstocked musky lakes that have dams or even little low heads, but these tailwaters receive almost no pressure. I have no doubt there are musky in these tailwaters....Do you guys just think its an effort thing or folks lack the proper equipment.
Flambeauski
Posted 4/19/2018 8:12 AM (#904063 - in reply to #904060)
Subject: Re: Tailwaters

A lot of tailwaters "up north" have fish refuges immediately below the dam. There are also regulations about how close you can fish to dams. The ones around here (WI) that aren't posted (and some that are) are pounded mercilessly.
CincySkeez
Posted 4/19/2018 8:21 AM (#904065 - in reply to #904063)

Should've specified, not immediately below these dams and not at prime time when the fish are stacked up. But say its July, your lake is infested with pleasure boaters and FIBS, I feel like I should see more river guys ya know, but again maybe thats because Ive spent so much time down here and rivers are the primary source of fishing in summer due to crowding.
BruceKY
Posted 4/19/2018 10:12 AM (#904076 - in reply to #904065)

CincySkeez
I think your on to something. I too like to fish moving water. I still like to fish the big lakes as well, but they are not always my first choice. Its far easier to drop the boat in a reservoir and start fishing, the fish are bigger, etc,, you know the pros. There are cons though, operating a nice boat, motor, and truck are expensive. You have to deal with all the other yahoos, I personally put a lot of pressure on myself to catch fish when I make the commitment to get the boat out. The big lakes are fickle when it comes to finding the good bite. I have a canoe and a kayak that I use to fish small moving water. I enjoy a day on the river with or without fish. Access is probably the biggest problem for fishing the rivers. It's also a hassle to shuttle when you put in at A and take out at B. Besides that I enjoy being alone on a river. The fish are usually cooperative. There's plenty of other things to enjoy while your on a creek/river and the day seems to be more relaxing. I see this being a big trend with all the new fishing kayaks coming on the market. People are naturally going to be reluctant to share their favorite spots when they are smaller rivers. I can only hope that new fishermen become educated and are responsible with the delicate resource.
Flambeauski
Posted 4/19/2018 10:27 AM (#904083 - in reply to #904060)

I got ya.

Sadly rivers are gaining popularity. Every year i see more drift boats and hippies in trucker hats.
CincySkeez
Posted 4/19/2018 12:26 PM (#904099 - in reply to #904083)

Flambeauski - 4/19/2018 10:27 AM

I got ya.

Sadly rivers are gaining popularity. Every year i see more drift boats and hippies in trucker hats.

Indeed, but have to be honest the drift boat crowd is not really prone to harvesting, and usually if I see a dude on one of my streams using fly gear they are a convert from conventional tackle, and are out there to enjoy the resource like myself.

Keyes already blew up my small river spot in the Duluth metro...at least if you are an adept google mapper. Honestly I hope they keep stocking all the popular lakes and guys keep having luck in those lakes, I'll chase the escapees
ToddM
Posted 4/19/2018 12:38 PM (#904102 - in reply to #904060)

Dam FIBS.
CincySkeez
Posted 4/19/2018 1:48 PM (#904112 - in reply to #904102)

ToddM - 4/19/2018 12:38 PM

Dam FIBS.

LOL knew i'd get one to take the bait
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)