Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Traveling to Canada with DUIs??

Message Subject: Traveling to Canada with DUIs??
rbiwer
Posted 4/3/2018 1:28 PM (#901053)
Subject: Traveling to Canada with DUIs??

Has anyone had experience with this? I'm having trouble finding any clear cut information. I'm pretty sure I can fill out forms IMM 1444 and use checklist IMM 5507 and be okay bit it might take me all summer to track down all of the documents asked for! Any help or phone numbers I could call appreciated. Thanks.
FishinXtreme
Posted 4/3/2018 2:17 PM (#901065 - in reply to #901053)
Subject: Re: Traveling to Canada with DUIs??

I had one and got in. You need to fill out the paper work to be deemed rehabilitated, and about $200 I called up to fort francis and they helped me out. I can describe the process better over the phone if you would like 7155338079

Travis

Edited by FishinXtreme 4/3/2018 2:25 PM
whynot
Posted 4/4/2018 8:21 AM (#901144 - in reply to #901053)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/i...

This is where you need to start.
Ciscokid82
Posted 4/4/2018 8:32 AM (#901146 - in reply to #901053)

It sounded like even after filing out the forms and paying the fees it’s still up to the border patrol officer to let you cross. Definitely a headache. It would be nice to hear if Steve Herbeck has any info or opinions on this.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/4/2018 8:33 AM (#901147 - in reply to #901144)

Much depends on when your DUI was. Within 5 years it's a crap shoot. At least from everything I've read, I don't have experience, personally.
wisskie
Posted 4/4/2018 9:40 AM (#901154 - in reply to #901053)

Ive gotten in 2 times. last year my dui was 7 years old they pulled me in for questioning. all they asked me was if I have ever been arrested I said yes they nodded gave me my passport and said have a good trip. This was in international falls.

This year I crossed north of Fargo. Didn't get pulled in or anything.

Crossing the border before your dui is 10 years old will always be a crap shoot unless you do the paperwork.

How old is your Dui?

They have been relaxing on the rules some. What I did last year was drive my own vehicle to the border just in case I got denied that way I didn't have to hitch hike home or wait for my crew to come back through.

Edited by wisskie 4/4/2018 9:43 AM
supertrollr
Posted 4/4/2018 10:18 PM (#901257 - in reply to #901053)

i do know that canadian can cross the border when they have ben caught,i would be really surprised if you can't.usa is usually more strict ,since trump election all the illegal aliens take the taxis and move to lacolle which is a lil city whit a rd without customs agents .ive seen it live live on tv ,cops were there they almost give them flowers and make them a hug ,no handcuff nothing lol so for a guys like you ...........
if you want to be sure call the border
good luck
Double P
Posted 4/6/2018 8:07 AM (#901376 - in reply to #901053)

I live in the states and have a place on LOTW. A few guests that have visited over the years have had DUI's. Any tickets less than 5 years I would definitely recommend filling out the proper paper work. 5 years and older as a previous poster mentioned is up to the crossing agent. They have relaxed a little in the past few years but it can still be a gamble.
14ledo81
Posted 4/6/2018 8:33 AM (#901381 - in reply to #901257)

supertrollr - 4/4/2018 10:18 PM

i do know that canadian can cross the border when they have ben caught,i would be really surprised if you can't.usa is usually more strict ,since trump election all the illegal aliens take the taxis and move to lacolle which is a lil city whit a rd without customs agents .ive seen it live live on tv ,cops were there they almost give them flowers and make them a hug ,no handcuff nothing lol so for a guys like you ...........
if you want to be sure call the border
good luck

^^^^^^^^^^
Good stuff right there...
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 4/7/2018 12:51 PM (#901520 - in reply to #901146)

sorry, been incognito for a few days.
first understand, no matter what any one says or tells yu,untill it has been ten yrs past the ending of your conviction AND sentence/parole/etc it is still up to the discretion of the officer you are dealing with at the time of crossing. that being said all around they have seemingly become a bit more understanding and discretionary but still...

so basically if you have a DWI and it's under 5 yrs its unlikely you will get in unless you get lucky and they dont check..not recomended.
if it is between 5 and 10 yrs you can a get a permit for i think its around 200-250 these days after filling out the necc. forms found at service canada website.
i have heard of a few that were at the bordern with the right officer at the right time that were allowed to go through with out but firmly told to not try again till they had it. but again....

the application/forms are quite lengthy and detailed and be frustrating to complete. many just end up saying screw it because of that.
another possible solution if you just want to get it done with for good with min. hassle, know it's done right and complete, with minimal headaches on your part...but it will cost is to give Dan Homstad a call 612 875 6574 , dandefends.com , i have heard of a few who have used him and he got it done and in some cases even getting charges expunged from record completely.

also 1 dwi is 1 dwi, if you got more it compounds things alot and be sure and include any and all other charges that are on your record because some such as assault, some domestic, firearms charges ,etc have the same effect on your eligibility to enter as a dwi.
steve herbeck
Ciscokid82
Posted 4/8/2018 1:43 PM (#901638 - in reply to #901053)

In my younger, stupid, early 20s I got 2 DWIs. Can’t go anything but learn and move forward. However, it’s been over 10 years since my second offense and I’m curious if that helps my situation to get in or if I’m screwed completely. Sounds like it would be best to contact an attorney like Steve mentioned above. I’d like to go to Eagle or LOTW with some of my family that go annually( some day). Until then, I’m content fishing all the great bodies of water we have here in the states.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/8/2018 2:37 PM (#901653 - in reply to #901638)

Ciscokid82 - 4/8/2018 1:43 PM

In my younger, stupid, early 20s I got 2 DWIs. Can’t go anything but learn and move forward. However, it’s been over 10 years since my second offense and I’m curious if that helps my situation to get in or if I’m screwed completely. Sounds like it would be best to contact an attorney like Steve mentioned above. I’d like to go to Eagle or LOTW with some of my family that go annually( some day). Until then, I’m content fishing all the great bodies of water we have here in the states.

You'd likely be ok, or at a minimum need the rehabilitated paper work. I would call the border and ask their advice. Or try a lawyer.
supertrollr
Posted 4/8/2018 2:41 PM (#901655 - in reply to #901053)

why the american seems to always prefer the canadian side of lotw?fish are bigger ,less boats,more wild ??
Ciscokid82
Posted 4/8/2018 4:29 PM (#901672 - in reply to #901053)

It’s not about LOTW. It’s about freedom and choice, forget LOTW. It’s about going to BC moose or sheep hunting, going to Jasper National Park or Baniff, going to Toronto, or doing a fly-in trip for lake trout and pike, whatever interests you.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/8/2018 5:23 PM (#901687 - in reply to #901655)

supertrollr - 4/8/2018 2:41 PM

why the american seems to always prefer the canadian side of lotw?fish are bigger ,less boats,more wild ??

Few muskies on the US side of LOTW.
wallygator
Posted 4/8/2018 7:38 PM (#901721 - in reply to #901053)

We have a guy at work who does installs. He has 2 DUI's they turned him back and would not let him in to Canada.
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 4/9/2018 3:30 PM (#901824 - in reply to #901638)

cisco ,
if both are over 10 yrs and as long as nothing else of any consequence (that last statement is important) before or after then i'd "bet" you are good to go. how's that go " i can just about guarentee".
a call to an immigration attorney would be best bet as advise.
however if me i'd go,for sure.... with both being over 10 yrs old they prob wont even come up however with me first trip i'd have (but not offer unless it seemed it might be a good idea) 1.) a doc of your criminal record and completion of sentence dates, 2. confirmation of a destination like a signed deposit from a resort or destination you will be staying at. ,and a very calm pleasent attitude.
im sure you will be fine . if nothing else on your record then according to my past expereinces you have satisfied the "rehabilitation" time period and should be able and eligable to enter canada.
ps; i've heard of alot of calls to the border not so enlightening or encouraging. ha!
steve herbeck
AML prop emeritus
fishing instructor/guide
US marketing
Ciscokid82
Posted 4/9/2018 8:20 PM (#901846 - in reply to #901053)

Thank you Steve!
Ciscokid82
Posted 4/9/2018 8:25 PM (#901848 - in reply to #901053)

See you at the Lodge lol
redskeet100
Posted 4/11/2018 9:45 AM (#903033 - in reply to #901053)

We traveled with a guy who had 2 DUI's, at the time one was 8 years past and the other 5. He never even got asked about them the 6 or 7 years he came up with us. This was 10 years ago. We always told him if he got turned back we were leaving him in International Falls and he could find his way back. Lucky for him it never came to that.
North of 8
Posted 4/11/2018 1:42 PM (#903074 - in reply to #903033)

Are DUIs the big issue? What if a guy has a terrible driving record, like getting their license suspended or restricted for so many speeding violations? (not me but worked with two guys who could only drive to and from work for a period of time because of tickets)
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/11/2018 4:23 PM (#903098 - in reply to #903074)

North of 8 - 4/11/2018 1:42 PM

Are DUIs the big issue? What if a guy has a terrible driving record, like getting their license suspended or restricted for so many speeding violations? (not me but worked with two guys who could only drive to and from work for a period of time because of tickets)

DUI is a felony in Canada. Doubt the speeding tickets matter much to them, unless they reached felon status then they might.
tswoboda
Posted 4/12/2018 2:38 PM (#903192 - in reply to #903098)

Pointerpride102 - 4/11/2018 4:23 PM
DUI is a felony in Canada. Doubt the speeding tickets matter much to them, unless they reached felon status then they might.

There's no felonies or misdemeanors in Canada. The legal terms are indictable offence or summary offence.

If you're convicted of a crime in the US that would have been an indictable offence in Canada then you will be "deemed inadmissible to Canada".

So figure out what is on your buddies record - what the crime was and what the sentence was IE jail time, susp. jail time, probation, fines, etc. Then compare that to Canadian laws to figure out what kind of offence it would be classified as in Canada.

Unrelated, but I can vouch that a petty shoplifting charge (misdemeanor in US) is classified as an indictable offence in Canada and anyone convicted of that crime will be deemed inadmissible. So yes, crimes other than DUI's can cause problems at the border.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/12/2018 2:48 PM (#903194 - in reply to #903192)

tswoboda - 4/12/2018 2:38 PM

Pointerpride102 - 4/11/2018 4:23 PM

There's no felonies or misdemeanors in Canada. The legal terms are indictable offence or summary offence.

If you're convicted of a crime in the US that would have been an indictable offence in Canada then you will be "deemed inadmissible to Canada".

So figure out what is on your buddies record - what the crime was and what the sentence was IE jail time, susp. jail time, probation, fines, etc. Then compare that to Canadian laws to figure out what kind of offence it would be classified as in Canada.

Unrelated, but I can vouch that a petty shoplifting charge (misdemeanor in US) is classified as an indictable offence in Canada and anyone convicted of that crime will be deemed inadmissible. So yes, crimes other than DUI's can cause problems at the border.

Correct, there aren't feet or miles in Canada either, but felony level is similar in severity to indictable offense. I simply didn't want to write that much about it. The general premise holds. People really ought to just read the Canadian Border Services website. It's pretty simple.
North of 8
Posted 4/12/2018 3:33 PM (#903200 - in reply to #903194)

Thought of this thread while reading the River News, the newspaper for Rhinelander, WI. Some moron was arrested and charged with his 8th DUI. Why in the name of justice is this guy still out on the streets? If you went downtown in any city and fired a shotgun over and over down the street at 2:00 AM, you would be put in jail. This is actually more likely to cause great bodily harm. Yet WI is the only state in the union where DUI is not even a misdemeanor the first time, it is considered an ordinance offense if there is no injury involved. Roughly the same as letting your dog get into the neighbor's chicken coop. Several legislators have tried, from both parties, to get it elevated to a misdomeanor crime but the Tavern League of WI is one of the most powerful lobbying groups in the state and they have fought it tooth and nail.
tbaatz
Posted 4/14/2018 11:59 AM (#903407 - in reply to #901053)

Another option is to apply for a RABC (Remote area border crossing) permit - Doesn't cost much and the Authority's will have had a look at your record and determined if you're eligible for entry - It is not a guarantee but as close to one as they come without all the other problems mentioned above - I have had a limited numbered of examples but everyone I know that's done it this way has never been turned back - - - -
Pepper
Posted 4/14/2018 9:34 PM (#903460 - in reply to #903200)

North of 8 - 4/12/2018 3:33 PM

Thought of this thread while reading the River News, the newspaper for Rhinelander, WI. Some moron was arrested and charged with his 8th DUI. Why in the name of justice is this guy still out on the streets? If you went downtown in any city and fired a shotgun over and over down the street at 2:00 AM, you would be put in jail. This is actually more likely to cause great bodily harm. Yet WI is the only state in the union where DUI is not even a misdemeanor the first time, it is considered an ordinance offense if there is no injury involved. Roughly the same as letting your dog get into the neighbor's chicken coop. Several legislators have tried, from both parties, to get it elevated to a misdomeanor crime but the Tavern League of WI is one of the most powerful lobbying groups in the state and they have fought it tooth and nail.

They may have changed the law but isn't it legal for minors to be served as long as they are with a parent in Wisconsin?
Musky Brian
Posted 4/15/2018 3:51 AM (#903468 - in reply to #903460)

Pepper - 4/14/2018 9:34 PM

They may have changed the law but isn't it legal for minors to be served as long as they are with a parent in Wisconsin?

Per google, yes it is. It is up to the establishment to decide if they will condone it
miket55
Posted 4/15/2018 10:40 AM (#903475 - in reply to #903468)

Musky Brian - 4/15/2018 4:51 AM

Pepper - 4/14/2018 9:34 PM

Per google, yes it is. It is up to the establishment to decide if they will condone it

https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/FAQS/ise-atundrg.aspx
whynot
Posted 10/15/2018 1:45 PM (#920927 - in reply to #901053)

Canada made some changes to their laws that affect the ability to travel into Canada with DWI convictions. There will no longer be a rehabilitation status for DWI, effective December 18, 2018. Currently, drivers are deemed rehabilitated after 10 years and can enter Canada without application or fees. Now, they will need to apply for a temporary resident permit. The cost for the permit is increasing from $200 to $1,000. They can apply for a permanent permit after 5 years.

https://www.cicnews.com/2018/06/canada-stiffens-sentences-for-drunk-...

Edited by whynot 10/15/2018 1:47 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)