Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Are guides worth hiring?

Message Subject: Are guides worth hiring?
14ledo81
Posted 4/17/2018 2:27 PM (#903686 - in reply to #903675)
Subject: Re: Are guides worth hiring?

ToddM - 4/17/2018 12:44 PM

Booch - 4/17/2018 12:02 PM

Just remember, if you boat a trophy fish on a guided trip you only get half credit for it!

Which half? What if it was caught trolling in a guide's boat? We need a credit catch chart so one can understand their place in taking credit for a caught fish.

This is easily the most important issue to solve. If we (my fishing partner and I) can't decide/agree on who gets how much credit for a caught fish, I won't even go fishing with them.
Jeremy
Posted 4/17/2018 2:29 PM (#903687 - in reply to #900708)

You can count on an honest assessment/report when I get back.

It'll be a new experience for this boy and one that took more than just a few weeks to decide to go forward on and then another bunch'a time deciding which guide to hire.

I'll let you know...August time-frame!
Booch
Posted 4/17/2018 9:43 PM (#903830 - in reply to #903675)

ToddM - 4/17/2018 12:44 PM

Booch - 4/17/2018 12:02 PM

Just remember, if you boat a trophy fish on a guided trip you only get half credit for it!

Which half? What if it was caught trolling in a guide's boat? We need a credit catch chart so one can understand their place in taking credit for a caught fish.

I guess we could base it on how it's netted. If you want the head half, ask the guide to net it tail first.
anglersplus
Posted 4/19/2018 7:01 AM (#904053 - in reply to #900708)
Subject: RE: Are guides worth hiring?

Every situation is different. I guide for all species on Green Bay, Lake Winnebago, and Lake Michigan. If you asked me to guide you in July for musky on Green Bay I'd steer you to someone else, because that isn't my strentgh, and personally I want you to have a positive experience and learn something. If you wanted to musky fish with me in September through November on Green Bay, that's in my wheelhouse. I recommend hiring a guide for the people who want to learn location and specific travel paths on a given waterway.
Capt Jerry
Anglers Plus Guide Service
Wrenchard
Posted 4/26/2018 6:23 PM (#905113 - in reply to #900708)

Ive hired two and going on three. Where I live we dont have much for trophy fishing.I loved the experience with the first (Joel Tinker near Hayward) I learned a lot and caught a nice musky to. I was new to musky fishing at the time (around 15 years ago) and learned the importance of safe handling and took in a lot of information for finding fish.
The second guide i hired (last fall) stood at the back of the boat never said boo and played with his phone. For 500 bucks I expected more, maybe a little learning. We did have one follow though, so I guess he put us on fish.
I'm hoping the third is different.
Pops
Posted 4/26/2018 9:00 PM (#905135 - in reply to #900708)

I hire a guide every year on a trip. I split it with a buddy.
I can look back of what I learned it has been paid 10 times over!
You hired them for a day. Most of them will give you info later down the road.
Worth every penny!
Esox715
Posted 4/26/2018 10:19 PM (#905159 - in reply to #900708)

The guides of ours on Eagle were worth the cost for their company alone! I have never wanted a local guide until I saw how nice some trips would be with all the amenities(and not having to do a lot)
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)