Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Time to contact Minnesota Legislators

Message Subject: Time to contact Minnesota Legislators
Buliwyf
Posted 3/19/2018 7:12 PM (#899385 - in reply to #899208)
Subject: Re: Time to contact Minnesota Legislators

That’s science denying .... ran unopposed in 2016!
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/19/2018 7:25 PM (#899387 - in reply to #899208)

Keep emailing folks!

My only word of advice is keep it brief. We all want to convey our passion for fishing and our displeasure with this bill, but lengthy emails aren't likely to be read fully, if at all. I'd also suggest titling your subject SF3319-VOTE NO. This way if they're too busy to read every email they know wher you stand without opening it.
kap
Posted 3/19/2018 7:51 PM (#899396 - in reply to #899208)

Part of this bill is changing the rules of spearing on muskies in non designated muskie waters.
the bill is classifying any lake where muskies are not indigenous as non designated muskie waters
and proposing a 20" minimum size to spear. I see a direct conflict with the all ready in place 54" minimum.
non sense
Brian Hoffies
Posted 3/20/2018 8:29 AM (#899434 - in reply to #899208)

This sentence on the Ramsdall thread caught my attention and might be something to consider when sending your e-mails.

If submitting comments electronically, include name and mailing address.

Maybe they don't consider a e-mail legit unless this is included????
short STRIKE
Posted 3/20/2018 9:32 AM (#899440 - in reply to #899434)

The part of the bill that caught my attention the most is that they want to take the decision making capabilities away from the MN DNR and put it in the hands of the county. Is it just me, or is that one of the most ludicrous parts of this?
Espy
Posted 3/20/2018 10:42 AM (#899452 - in reply to #899208)

It's also sneaky how they worded the spearing portion of it. Spearing not allowed in indigenous or stocked waters. Except if this moratorium passes no waters will be stocked, so when does that lake become a non-stocked lake?
Sudszee
Posted 3/20/2018 10:47 AM (#899454 - in reply to #899452)

I hope they do not tuck it in to another bill that is likely to pass.
North of 8
Posted 3/20/2018 10:51 AM (#899455 - in reply to #899434)

Brian Hoffies - 3/20/2018 8:29 AM

This sentence on the Ramsdall thread caught my attention and might be something to consider when sending your e-mails.

If submitting comments electronically, include name and mailing address.

Maybe they don't consider a e-mail legit unless this is included????

Today, with so many spam attacks, this is probably a way of telling whether it is an individual e-mailing or some program sending out hundreds of messages.
BNelson
Posted 3/20/2018 3:28 PM (#899478 - in reply to #899208)

take the time to email the Otter Tail County commissioners as well and let them know you are in full support of continued stocking. Let them hear the tourism dollars that will be lost if the musky fishing isn't as good as it is.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
UglyPike
Posted 3/20/2018 3:59 PM (#899480 - in reply to #899208)

We are recording a special episode of the Ugly Pike Podcast tomorrow with 2 extremely influential anglers that anyone who has picked up a rod knows. I dont want to let the cat out of the bag until we are done but suffice it to say, we will do our best to educate everyone on why this proposed policy is a bad idea. Ill post the link to the episode once it is edited and posted live. Our website is www.theuglypike.ca where we host our podcasts, or anyone can get them on any podcast app. Thanks to everyone who helped with suggestions. We wont let this happen without a fight.

Edited by UglyPike 3/20/2018 4:00 PM
Sidejack
Posted 3/20/2018 4:07 PM (#899481 - in reply to #899208)

Posted this on the other thread and thought it was important to post the following here as well:
We lobby & advocate on behalf of people living with disabilities at the capital, during events, senate panels, etc. Been doing it for years and the lobbyists, senators, and legislators that support us all say that phone calls are preferred but regardless of the contact method always always always include your address, especially if you are a constituent. It's widely known that emails can be auto-generated in quantity and easily considered spam when the messaging is similar and from one target group. While emails generate data and can be tracked, senators and other officials receive 300 or more emails per day. If it's in the best interest of the office to identify a group of emails as spam, they're often eager and able to do so in quantity.
Because of the above, we're consistently encouraged to call rather than email, especially when a senator or lobbyist is working towards the same greater good or building a case for us. Employing all 3 (Calling, writing a letter, sending an email) is of course the best for those that would like to cover all bases, but again #1 is calling, #2 is writing a physical letter.

Edited by Sidejack 3/20/2018 4:11 PM
UglyPike
Posted 3/20/2018 4:42 PM (#899486 - in reply to #899208)

excellent point. Ill make sure to mention that tomorrow when we record ^
happy hooker
Posted 3/20/2018 8:29 PM (#899517 - in reply to #899362)

Twin Cities Chapter of muskies Inc will have a booth at the Northwest sports show this coming weekend which is the second biggest sports show in the country,,we will get info to the huge amount of people that stop by the booth and all the rows and rows of resorts many that are musky lake resorts.
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/20/2018 8:55 PM (#899521 - in reply to #899517)

Otter Tail County has put out a statement in regards to the proposed bill. All the more reason to contact them and fill up their inbox. They would not take a stance if they weren't hearing about this bill. Remind them of the monetary loss to the county if they harm musky angling. Again, be respectful but staunchly oppose and make sure they know you will continue to be vocal. This is well beyond their scope of abilities and the more they see how many of us they'd have to deal with the more likely they are to oppose this bill even more.

Statement about the bill: http://www.co.ottertail.mn.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=573

County commissioners emails:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Edited by Pointerpride102 3/20/2018 8:57 PM
Reelwise
Posted 3/21/2018 1:45 AM (#899534 - in reply to #899208)

Fish Community Responses to the Introduction of Muskellunge in Minnesota Lakes
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/publications/fisheries/special_reports...

Diets of Muskellunge in Northern Wisconsin Lakes
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fisheries/species/mue/mue_diets.pdf

EVALUATION OF GROWTH AND SURVIVAL OF DIFFERENT GENETIC STOCKS OF MUSKELLUNGE: IMPLICATIONS FOR STOCKING PROGRAMS IN ILLINOIS AND THE MIDWEST
http://www.illinimuskiesalliance.org/projects/GreenGene/FinalSummar...
UglyPike
Posted 3/21/2018 2:14 PM (#899608 - in reply to #899208)

Hi Guys we just finished a podcast with Al Lindner and Jeremy Smith that was devoted strictly to this topic. Al and Jeremy brought out all of the salient points related to why this is such a bad idea. Best of all, Al and Jeremy are going to share the podcast with their listeners to spread the word (Al and Jeremy also give some great tips on how to find and land giants).

Once it is edited, it will be posted on www.theuglypike.ca or it can be found on iTunes or any podcasting app.  Ill make a post here to let you all know. 

This discussion is an excellent tool for everyone to use to advocate against this Bill.  Feel free to share it with anyone who will listen so that we can educate people on the facts. We are @uglypike on IG and FB.  Thanks!  

Edited by UglyPike 3/21/2018 4:07 PM
kap
Posted 3/21/2018 4:37 PM (#899630 - in reply to #899208)

Nice, just subscribed to your podcast!
UglyPike
Posted 3/21/2018 7:34 PM (#899652 - in reply to #899208)

Thanks Kap hope you enjoy it! TONS of knowledge in 22 episodes so far and going strong!
BNelson
Posted 3/22/2018 8:42 AM (#899683 - in reply to #899208)

I have had some interesting back and forth discussion with the Otter Tail County commissioners. What I think it boils down to is they simply want information from the DNR on how many muskies are in the lake, and what effect they have on the lakes other species...
JTHIRY
Posted 3/22/2018 9:05 AM (#899686 - in reply to #899683)

BNelson - 3/22/2018 8:42 AM

I have had some interesting back and forth discussion with the Otter Tail County commissioners. What I think it boils down to is they simply want information from the DNR on how many muskies are in the lake, and what effect they have on the lakes other species...

This is what I gathered, as well. The part of the legislation that essentially wants to give the county the ability to 'manage' the fishery was not part of their request.
jvlast15
Posted 3/22/2018 9:55 AM (#899691 - in reply to #899683)

BNelson - 3/22/2018 8:42 AM

Havent the DNR given them that information? It is impossible to determine an exact number of muskies in a lake, however, they gain give a pretty decent estimate. And it hasnt the other question been detremined as well? They can take netting data, and determine the health of the fishery.

And they have done that, havent they?
BNelson
Posted 3/22/2018 10:12 AM (#899694 - in reply to #899208)

no, it sounds like they haven't.
BNelson
Posted 3/22/2018 10:56 AM (#899697 - in reply to #899694)

1 hour and 18 minutes in or so is worth a listen

https://www.wday.com/entertainment/radio/4420087-970-wday-demand-mik...
Brad P
Posted 3/22/2018 12:52 PM (#899716 - in reply to #899362)

Sorgy - 3/19/2018 3:25 PM

Muskies Inc. as a non-profit cannot pay lobbyist. Please contact the MN Muskie and Pike Alliance. They can take funds and contribute to a lobbyist.
I have been in contact with the North Metro M.I. President and he is working with our board to send a letter showing our stance on this.
I have asked him if the M.I. International President can submit something as well.

This is up to us as individuals to contact our representatives and senators and voice our displeasure with the bill.

The bill is now in the hands of the Environment and Natural Resources Policy and Legacy Finance Committee.

I encourage you to write and call the members of this committee as well.

Steve

I'm the treasurer of the MMPA. If you want to donate to the PAC we would greatly appreciate it as these are the funds we use to support our friends in the legislature and fight back bad bills like this one. Send me a PM and I can inform you of the rules on donating to a PAC. They are different than a non-profit or a charity.
Espy
Posted 3/22/2018 2:13 PM (#899725 - in reply to #899697)

BNelson - 3/22/2018 10:56 AM

1 hour and 18 minutes in or so is worth a listen

https://www.wday.com/entertainment/radio/4420087-970-wday-demand-mik...

Great segment, thanks for the link Brad!
jasond
Posted 3/23/2018 3:35 PM (#899844 - in reply to #899725)

I have a quick, but I think important question. The bill defines non-muskellunge waters as the following:

Subd. 6. Definition; nonmuskellunge waters. For the purpose of this section, "nonmuskellunge waters" means waters where muskellunge are not indigenous or stocked by the commissioner.

Does anyone know what those "indigenous" waters are? I know the Mississippi watershed (Cass, Winnie, Bemidji, etc.), and the St Croix river are indigenous. Leech would be, and a few of the other big hitters too I presume.

I ask because I, like a lot of MN muskie fisherman, live in the metro and I am reaching out to the representatives for my district here and expressing my displeasure because the way I read it lakes like Tonka, Waconia, WBL, Bald Eagle, etc would all be open to spearing, 20" size minimum and subject to county commissioners to figure out stocking, which I feel would get our local metro legislators attention. I'm not saying that reaching out to the whole committee isn't effective, but reaching out to the people where you vote really matters can be more powerful.

Thanks to all the out of state guys too that visit/vacation in MN for sharing your thoughts on the impact from your tourism $$.
tolle141
Posted 3/23/2018 8:41 PM (#899877 - in reply to #899208)

Metro lakes would not be indigenous
Gottagofast
Posted 3/23/2018 9:29 PM (#899883 - in reply to #899208)

The scary part is pretty much every lake in the state has had some stocking. I don't want lawyers deciding because leech and Vermillion as well as all the Grand rapids area lakes have been stocked
TCESOX
Posted 3/23/2018 10:08 PM (#899887 - in reply to #899208)

From today's paper.

http://www.startribune.com/attack-on-muskies-another-example-of-leg...

tolle141
Posted 3/23/2018 10:11 PM (#899888 - in reply to #899208)

A Senator has a poll on their facebook page. Take 2 seconds and Vote Yes to support continued stocking in current and new lakes https://www.facebook.com/senatorpaulgazelka/posts/1749506908443452
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)