Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> What got you started in musky fishing?

Message Subject: What got you started in musky fishing?
UglyPike
Posted 3/13/2018 10:32 AM (#896399 - in reply to #895737)
Subject: Re: What got you started in musky fishing?

For me it was hooking into my first really big pike. I got to thinking "what eats this"? Naturally, the musky was the answer. I booked a trip to Lac Seul and my first fish was a monster that changed everything!

Edited by UglyPike 3/13/2018 12:18 PM
North of 8
Posted 3/13/2018 10:39 AM (#896400 - in reply to #895737)

When I was 11 or 12, back in the mid 1960s, my folks rented a cabin in Oneida County. It was one of three cabins owned by our neighbors and their son's in-laws. The father and mother in law spent the summer there and he was a musky fisherman. He invited me along one evening to fish. I think he really just wanted to have someone row while he cast but that was ok. He explained how to use the old style bait caster reel and let me fish as well. That first evening, just in front of us, a musky that he estimated to be in the upper 40 range jumped completely out of the water. He said that was really unusual and that it was a big fish. We cast to the general area for 20 minutes or more. Seeing that big fish was all it took. I had caught nice northern pike in central WI and at my uncle's cabin in the Harrison hills, but never saw a fish like that.
bucknuts
Posted 3/13/2018 6:33 PM (#896485 - in reply to #895737)
Subject: RE: What got you started in musky fishing?

Going up to our property, near Winchester Wisconsin, in Vilas county. Back in the late 60's and early 70's. Going out with my dad, and seeing him hook a couple of muskies and watch them jump and go crazy. That's when I got hooked, for sure!
Emptynet
Posted 3/13/2018 8:48 PM (#896509 - in reply to #896485)
Subject: RE: What got you started in musky fishing?

My best friend/fishing partner in high school & I were walleye fishing on a warm spring day. After striking out on a gravel shoreline we thought we might catch a pike or 2 from the weeds on the other side of the bay. As we drifted along we looked down & there near the bottom in 4ft of water lies a big muskie soaking up some sun. It showed no interest in the spoons we danced in front of it & slowly swam away after about 5 min. I decided I needed to get the proper gear & start chasing the biggest fish in the lake.
T3clay
Posted 3/13/2018 9:28 PM (#896520 - in reply to #895737)

Seeing my father catch.a few got me hooked
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)