Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> rules

Message Subject: rules
bturg
Posted 3/1/2018 8:46 PM (#894679)
Subject: rules

Is there a place to read up on the rules for the PMTT trail ? I don't see a link on the website for them.
bturg
Posted 3/1/2018 9:10 PM (#894683 - in reply to #894679)
Subject: Re: rules

My bad, found it. I was interested in what opinions/interpretations are on this rule:

During tournament hours contestants MUST NOT leave the boat without checking out with Tournament Officials at Tournament Central or designated checkpoints. Contestants must not at any time place their boat on shore, except in inclement weather for safety, or for special "site" circumstances, which shall be announced by Tournament Officials at the pre tournament Rules meeting. Contestants must not, except under pre announced special circumstances, posi-tion their boat or fish within one hundred (100) feet of another boat of any kind. Permitted excep-tions would be Judge, Film or Press boats.

At the last Vermilion event a competitor fell or dove out of his boat to net a fish ( They told the story at awards ) does this constitute "leaving the boat" ? With the huge money at stake at the Mega event on the big V this year how should this be interpreted by competitors ? In the Bass or Walleye world in general this would not be allowed...for example climbing on a dock or jumping into a brush pile to land a fish tangled on them.
bturg
Posted 3/1/2018 9:13 PM (#894684 - in reply to #894679)

To be clear I don't think the competitors intentionally/knowingly broke the rule but should it have been and would it be enforced with the bigger stakes involved ????
North of 8
Posted 3/1/2018 10:23 PM (#894694 - in reply to #894679)

Was watching a Major League Fishing episode this winter, and one of the contestants, a major competitor on the bass fishing circuit got out of the boat because a big bass he had hooked got caught in some brush. Not only didn't the fish count, he had to stop fishing for a two minute penalty. I think he knew that would happen but didn't like the idea of leaving that fish hung up with a lure in it's mouth.
Reelwise
Posted 3/1/2018 10:40 PM (#894695 - in reply to #894684)

Based on how the rule is written... the catch could have been disqualified since one of the competitors did indeed - leave the boat.

With that being said... I believe they made the right decision by allowing this based on the story you gave... especially if the competitor simply fell out of the boat while trying to net a fish.

Leaving the boat to access shore or somebody else's boat... totally different. I believe this rule is more of a safety concern and a rule to keep people from potentially cheating. I do not believe falling out of the boat while netting a fish is cheating.

Reminds me of the Bassmasters tournament where Mike Ike had a fish break his line. He jumped out of the boat to grab the broken line and he successfully caught the fish... but, he had a hand on the boat the entire time. Since he technically did not leave the boat completely... the catch counted.
T3clay
Posted 3/2/2018 6:25 AM (#894709 - in reply to #894679)

Ever seen the video of Mike Iconelli??????

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NvdQYnnr1s4

That's how a real man does it!
T3clay
Posted 3/2/2018 6:27 AM (#894710 - in reply to #894679)

Sorry to post twice I just watched that video for about the 5th time if you haven't seen it it's a must see, only about a minute long
Larry Ramsell
Posted 3/2/2018 7:01 AM (#894712 - in reply to #894679)

Consider the possibility that a fish was "tied out" in mid-lake and a contestant had to leave the boat to get it. Been known to happen.

In the case mentioned, I'd say if there were witnesses to the event, then it could be allowed. If not, it should have not counted.
North of 8
Posted 3/2/2018 7:56 AM (#894720 - in reply to #894679)

I do remember the rumors from one of the first musky tournaments on the Three Lakes chain back in the 1970s. There were allegations of what Larry alluded to. A local guide allegedly caught a musky on the Thursday evening before the weekend tourney, tied it to a concrete block with a length of wire and retrieved it during the tournament. No one saw him retrieve it but a guy fishing the chain had seen him doing something weird with a fish on Thursday evening. Never proved but the guide had a sketchy reputation way before that.
Espy
Posted 3/2/2018 8:39 AM (#894727 - in reply to #894679)

All depends on how nit picky tournament officials want to get, as well as contestants. If someone were to have raised a flag on the play they would have had to really dig into the rules and do some explaining.

T3clay
Posted 3/2/2018 1:47 PM (#894796 - in reply to #894679)

In my opinion the rules are black and white. I once saw a guy get tossed out of a tourney because when was seconds late to the post registration. He had 3 fish and would have won first place. Rules are rules dude your expected to follow them.like everyone else
Reelwise
Posted 3/2/2018 4:29 PM (#894839 - in reply to #894679)

The IMTT used to hold a tournament on Lake Shelbyville around the same time every season.

They ended up shortening the tournament by one hour on the final day one year. A team somehow ended up with paperwork from the previous year and thought the hours were the same.

Needless to say... they were late coming in.

Since the IMTT messed up as far as getting the proper paperwork out... they allowed the team that was late to count their catches even though some people spoke up and thought they should be disqualified. None of the fish they caught were caught after-hours... so, I had absolutely no issue with the decision. They may have even won that tournament... or were in the top 3, at least.

Like stated... I guess it depends on the situation and how the circuit wants to interpret and enforce the rules. I think they can pretty much do what they want... and it would probably take a court case to change any decision they make that one may not agree with.

Sounds like this rule needs to have a few things added to it.
North of 8
Posted 3/2/2018 5:05 PM (#894844 - in reply to #894679)

To tag on to the original question, with a really big money tourney, wouldn't you need to be super tight on the rules, for fear of cheating or being sued because you didn't enforce your own rules?
kap
Posted 3/2/2018 6:30 PM (#894852 - in reply to #894679)

the PMTT is the biggest thing going in Muskies
Reelwise
Posted 3/2/2018 7:20 PM (#894857 - in reply to #894852)

kap - 3/2/2018 7:30 PM the PMTT is the biggest thing going in Muskies

The PMTT is great. I love the history. Hope to fish it for a full season some day... and try and do better than just catch 29-29.75 inchers every tournament.

Edited by Reelwise 3/2/2018 7:22 PM
Espy
Posted 3/6/2018 8:28 AM (#895168 - in reply to #894844)

North of 8 - 3/2/2018 5:05 PM

To tag on to the original question, with a really big money tourney, wouldn't you need to be super tight on the rules, for fear of cheating or being sued because you didn't enforce your own rules?

Yes, very much so. Need to make sure the written rules are followed to the T.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)