Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Power pole vs Talon

Reply New post
Message Subject: Power pole vs Talon
Pops
Posted 2/19/2018 9:28 PM (#893179)
Subject: Power pole vs Talon

What are your thoughts on power pole or talon?
What is easier to mount?
I would like feed back if you use them.
I have been in boats with both brands. I like the Talon better, I like Minn Kota products.
Thanks.
bturg
Posted 2/19/2018 9:47 PM (#893183 - in reply to #893179)
Subject: Re: Power pole vs Talon

I have seen quite a few broken Talons, never a P Pole. Simple is sometimes better and the P Pole has way less moving parts.
sworrall
Posted 2/20/2018 12:56 AM (#893198 - in reply to #893179)

We have dual Power Poles on the OFM Lund, and I have the Micro on my X170T. Good products backed by really nice folks who like old Bagley Baits a lot.

The Talon is on lots of the pro walleye boats, we see them in action often and haven't seen much of any issues with them so far.
Fishysam
Posted 2/20/2018 10:05 AM (#893228 - in reply to #893179)

I had a single 12' talon and it was awesome, i now run dual 10' blades, that talon is now on my friends boat after me never an issue yet, i broke a hydraulic tubing line in my power pole, pp has great customer service, they sent me oil and furrels for free next day air.

In my opinion if you get a single anchor the talon is better especially because of the 12' or 15' options. The way the spike goes straight down it doesnt give up force to sideways mototion like my blades do.

Dual blades work well and i am told they work about the same as dual talons by people who were on my boat that have talons on theres. Powerpoles have drift paddle options that slow you down better than drift socks but are annoying to strap when going to run down the lake.

New model pp have braided hydrolic lines much better than my hydrolic tubing.

Talons are easier to install but neither is "hard"

Edited by Fishysam 2/20/2018 10:08 AM
Mojo1269
Posted 2/20/2018 10:37 AM (#893231 - in reply to #893228)

i am a PP guy. I prefer, as BT perfectly explained, its mechanical simplicity. Its also tough as nails. More than once I have dragged mine for longer than I care to admit leaving a boat landing and its no worse for wear. I am intrigued greatly by the greater lengths of the Talon but have also seen a few broken or stuck Talon's on friends boats and that keeps me leaning to another PP on my next boat.

Edited by Mojo1269 2/20/2018 10:38 AM
MikeK
Posted 2/20/2018 1:03 PM (#893236 - in reply to #893179)

Talons for sure. if I'm chasing a fish around the boat I don't want to have to reach out 4 feet to try and swing it around the power pole. the talon is straight down and I'm usually able to keep fish clear of the talon. when anchored in shallow weeds the power poles can get covered in weeds and need to be cleaned off, not an issue with talons. talons are quieter and deploy faster. talons have tilt brackets which make getting in the garage a non issue. but biggest thing for me is the talon is self contained. the power pole you have to mount an external pump which if you run two poles can take up quite a bit of room in an already crowded compartment. nothing wrong with powerepoles plenty of guys love them but for me its an easy decision
mtcook16
Posted 2/21/2018 9:44 AM (#893365 - in reply to #893179)

The new Talons can Bluetooth connect to Humminbird HELIX G2N/SOLIX models and can be operated and have settings changed from the HB unit if you don't want to use one of the included wireless remotes. I am waiting on my 12' to arrive, but am excited to use the new built in work light and be able to dim the display panel LEDs for night fishing.
JTHIRY
Posted 2/21/2018 12:20 PM (#893381 - in reply to #893179)

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I've had a 12' Talon on my boat for a couple year now and love it. Never any issues and have used it heavily. Not only for muskies, but if you fish Walleyes up shallow, they are worth every penny.
cbuf
Posted 3/6/2018 2:55 PM (#895203 - in reply to #893179)
Subject: RE: Power pole vs Talon

My Talon 12' broke twice. Once in the down position. I was on a island in the middle of nowhere, with limited tools. That was a cluster. I had to ride home with 18 feet of talon laying half off the boat because I couldn't disconnect the cables without cutting them off. Needless to say I now have a Power pole on that boat.
Fishysam
Posted 3/7/2018 7:33 AM (#895285 - in reply to #893179)

On talons there is a rubber cover over a 5/8ths(?) nut, turning thst will retract the talon in 99% of break downs, power poles have resulted in people getting in the water to get them out when stuff happens. Pros/cons to each
gregk9
Posted 3/7/2018 12:25 PM (#895341 - in reply to #893179)

well then I think I'd stick with the Talon. I prefer not to have to jump into the water to break free....
sworrall
Posted 3/7/2018 12:45 PM (#895347 - in reply to #895285)

Fishysam - 3/7/2018 7:33 AM

On talons there is a rubber cover over a 5/8ths(?) nut, turning thst will retract the talon in 99% of break downs, power poles have resulted in people getting in the water to get them out when stuff happens. Pros/cons to each

Show me some real life examples of this please, and describe what you mean by 'stuff happens'. I can't get mine stuck no matter how hard I try, have spent a tremendous amount of time covering tournaments where dozes of sets of boat brands are in use, and have never seen anyone how had to get in the water. If that happened at an Elite, Tour, or NWT, I'd know about it.

If you wedge the anchor from either in a place it won't come out, nothing above the water will help.
Fishysam
Posted 3/7/2018 1:41 PM (#895358 - in reply to #893179)

Alright mr worral, 2 people i bass fish against in tournaments have had to get in the water to lift the spike on a pp blade each, one is named David G, other is Chris S. There was not enough leverage to lift it up without entering the water, they both tried 65# braid to no avail, (however i have brackets on mine for drift paddles and i feel i could get 65# on the bracket and lift it out). There issues were one hydraulic line broke, unable to lift,( new design replaces hydrolic tubing with braided hydrolic lines) on the other inside the pump there is a small plastic keyway on the motor to pump that stripped out causing it not to pump hard enough to free from the mud. Stuff... dave had to get in the water in mid October in North Dakota it was not avoidable.
Fishysam
Posted 3/7/2018 1:48 PM (#895362 - in reply to #893179)

I have had a 12' talon and a budy has been using it since me, no issues yet 5 years old...my two year old blade i am trying have needed a few parts and the customer service was awesome and covered for free, i like both, i have used both. Both are sweet i give the ease of installation to talon but neither are hard if your handy.
mtcook16
Posted 3/7/2018 4:02 PM (#895396 - in reply to #893179)

If you get stuck, you get stuck. I don't feel that either is more prone to this than the other. Simply comes down to where and what you drop them in to on the bottom.

What I can add is that with a tilt bracket, you can get Talons under a low garage door. But a lesser known benefit of the tilt bracket is that should you get stuck, you can press the lever to disengage the lock pin on the tilt bracket, put the motor in gear, allowing the Talon spike to pull free. Then, retract the spike and lock the Talon back in place. Back to fishing in short order.

Edited by mtcook16 3/7/2018 4:04 PM
sworrall
Posted 3/7/2018 11:18 PM (#895466 - in reply to #895358)

Fishysam - 3/7/2018 1:41 PM

Alright mr worral, 2 people i bass fish against in tournaments have had to get in the water to lift the spike on a pp blade each, one is named David G, other is Chris S. There was not enough leverage to lift it up without entering the water, they both tried 65# braid to no avail, (however i have brackets on mine for drift paddles and i feel i could get 65# on the bracket and lift it out). There issues were one hydraulic line broke, unable to lift,( new design replaces hydrolic tubing with braided hydrolic lines) on the other inside the pump there is a small plastic keyway on the motor to pump that stripped out causing it not to pump hard enough to free from the mud. Stuff... dave had to get in the water in mid October in North Dakota it was not avoidable.

A rope(which should be in the boat, I hope) around the knuckle and one can lift the Power Pole unit up, fishing line not so much. If stuck, exactly what was said with a Talon, and simply move slowly forward and back to dislodge a Power Pole. Both are great products, and both are relatively worry free. Customer service with both is very good. I like being able to partially dunk my Power Poles to slow a drift, works great even without a paddle.
Fishysam
Posted 3/8/2018 6:30 AM (#895471 - in reply to #893179)

I really pounded my talon in on purpose qnd then left the boat for 3 hours, came back and it was stuck, i rocked the boat port/starboard about 15 times and it came out...

When anchored at max depth im not understanding how a rop could pull unless you have the drift paddle accessories like i do so there is something to hold the rope?
sworrall
Posted 3/8/2018 3:21 PM (#895533 - in reply to #893179)

The arm and spike are not that heavy and without the hydraulic pressure move pretty easily, according to some Power Pole Q&A I saw on another forum. Not sure a rop would work.
esoxfly
Posted 3/21/2018 9:15 PM (#899663 - in reply to #893179)

I'm a PP guy. Had dual PP since 08. I had a pump go bad last summer after nine years of use. Long story short, they rebuilt both pumps, sent all new tubing (for both poles) and a hardware rebuild kit for each pole...for FREE. I was floored. That makes me a customer in itself. Other than they are pretty simple and I use the Drift Paddles more than I use the spuds themselves, and no paddles on the Talons. PP's have been good to me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)