Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Braided Line

Message Subject: Braided Line
splash
Posted 2/16/2018 12:09 PM (#892674)
Subject: Braided Line

How often do you change or reverse your braided line? Asking beause of conversatios I had with guys I had at the Muskie Show.
Thanks in advance
Jim
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 2/16/2018 12:22 PM (#892682 - in reply to #892674)
Subject: Re: Braided Line

On a typical year I flip my spool in late July and change it out every spring. I'm on the water approximately 4 days a week from opener until late September to give you an idea.
Jeremy
Posted 2/16/2018 3:07 PM (#892730 - in reply to #892674)

About every decade...seriously but I don't fish tons either.

Also never have broken a line via casting or on a fish. Never.

I may get chided a good bit here but I haven''t ever found any reason to change.

Hope ol' Murphy's not listening in....
splash
Posted 2/16/2018 3:22 PM (#892734 - in reply to #892674)

I've talked to a lot of people and you would be surprised how many do not change their line but every 3 years and some even longer and have never had a problem. Anyone ever talk to a rep??
Sidejack
Posted 2/16/2018 6:11 PM (#892760 - in reply to #892674)

When yo do change yer line, consider changing it during the cold fall fishing season.
New line sheds water better than old and it'll be broke in fer spring.
Ciscokid82
Posted 2/16/2018 6:58 PM (#892766 - in reply to #892674)

I never flip my spool. I think a lot of guys think their line has gone bad once the color fades, but that’s all it is ...color. In fact I prefer it “broken in”, it casts better, it’s smoother, and the faded color is less visible to fish and more visible to me. I just keep tabs on the first two feet of line coming off the leader to make sure I’m not frayed up, that’s where it’ll break. From my understanding, and I may be wrong, but isn’t spectra braid UV resistant anyways?
NPike
Posted 2/17/2018 10:53 AM (#892813 - in reply to #892674)
Subject: RE: Braided Line

Once a year. Perhaps could last longer but even braid isn't completely free from line memory and tangles, etc.. After swapping out line I cast out new line behind boat and run my boat at a slow speed for ~ 5 minutes, then slowly retrieve. Helps it to lay nicely on then spool.
supertrollr
Posted 2/17/2018 2:09 PM (#892828 - in reply to #892674)

rarely ,it stay good for years,but it depend where you fish and of course how many times per season.try to break it by yourself if nothing happen ur good to go.it's not like junk mono vs sun
supertrollr
Posted 2/17/2018 2:17 PM (#892830 - in reply to #892734)

splash - 2/16/2018 3:22 PM

I've talked to a lot of people and you would be surprised how many do not change their line but every 3 years and some even longer and have never had a problem. Anyone ever talk to a rep??

my case.i have some at least 4 years old and it's almost like a new one.and it's trolling line so it mean a lot more line out ,more time on the water vs rock, weed etc. some guys still think it's like mono.each year is just a good way to make more pollution and losing money for no reason at all,but you know some guys don't even feel secure with a belt and suspender
7ovr50
Posted 2/22/2018 1:14 PM (#893478 - in reply to #892674)

I flip mine every season with an added twist. I put enough backing on my reels so that 150 ft of braid fills the spool. I 've checked and I can't cast any bait far enough to ever reach the backing, So my thinking is why waste 150 ft, of line that never sees the water. I fish 4-5 days a week from ice out to Nov. I've never been broken off by wear or a fish.
T3clay
Posted 2/23/2018 3:56 PM (#893648 - in reply to #892760)

Sidejack - 2/16/2018 6:11 PM

When yo do change yer line, consider changing it during the cold fall fishing season.
New line sheds water better than old and it'll be broke in fer spring.

That is genius^^^
Beastly Backlash
Posted 2/25/2018 12:54 PM (#893848 - in reply to #892674)

The only time I change my line is when the line level gets to low due to attrition.

However, that doesn't happen often.

I never fish with braid tied direct to terminal tackle, bite leaders, or lures. Instead, I use a 10ft 80lb test mono abrasion leader tied to the braided mainline with an FG knot. The leader cuts down on braid attrition, eliminates wear and tear on the braid, and acts a shock absorber during fights.

I have some braid going on 5 years, at 3 to 4 days a week worth of fishing. Of course the set ups are not being used exclusively as they are in rotation, but it shows just how long braid will last.
supertrollr
Posted 2/26/2018 12:11 AM (#893961 - in reply to #892674)

why do you want a shock absorber ?
FishReed
Posted 2/26/2018 12:01 PM (#894011 - in reply to #892674)

Technically speaking...almost never....I have some "Iron Thread" on an Abu Garcia XLT from the late 1980s. In my materials testing travels, I tested it on one of my employer's lab computerized state of the art tensile testing machine and it broke at above the rated line test after nearly 30 years which if I remember right was 20 pounds. These synthetic braids and super lines will break down in about 325+- years. Other than kinks, frays and laydown problems, you won't have to replace synthetic braids and super lines for any strength concerns. Trust me...they pay me the big bucks to certify and audit tensile testing machines and I have one of our machines testing graphite rod material in Spirit Lake , Iowa. Now who could that be? If you are replacing synthetic or braided "super" lines of any type in less than 5 years...you are wasting your money. Learning how to to tie the proper knot is much more important than the age of any "super-line". I also found by tensile testing that the knot called a "DoubleUni" has the best strength when tying on a mono or fluorocarbon leader to synthetic braid ..Power Pro and Berkely Professional braid included. The FG knot is just way too complicated and slow to tie for the above average guy.
supertrollr
Posted 2/26/2018 12:21 PM (#894016 - in reply to #892674)

good info
Beastly Backlash
Posted 2/26/2018 5:24 PM (#894070 - in reply to #893961)

supertrollr - 2/26/2018 1:11 AM

Couple reasons.

Helps prevent break offs on the cast.

Absorbs some force from head shakes.

But, my main reason is still primarily abrasion resistance.
Beastly Backlash
Posted 2/26/2018 5:27 PM (#894072 - in reply to #894011)

FishReed - 2/26/2018 1:01 PM

Technically speaking...almost never....I have some "Iron Thread" on an Abu Garcia XLT from the late 1980s. In my materials testing travels, I tested it on one of my employer's lab computerized state of the art tensile testing machine and it broke at above the rated line test after nearly 30 years which if I remember right was 20 pounds. These synthetic braids and super lines will break down in about 325+- years. Other than kinks, frays and laydown problems, you won't have to replace synthetic braids and super lines for any strength concerns. Trust me...they pay me the big bucks to certify and audit tensile testing machines and I have one of our machines testing graphite rod material in Spirit Lake , Iowa. Now who could that be? If you are replacing synthetic or braided "super" lines of any type in less than 5 years...you are wasting your money. Learning how to to tie the proper knot is much more important than the age of any "super-line". I also found by tensile testing that the knot called a "DoubleUni" has the best strength when tying on a mono or fluorocarbon leader to synthetic braid ..Power Pro and Berkely Professional braid included. The FG knot is just way too complicated and slow to tie for the above average guy.

Once you get the concept of the FG knot and learn the right technique, the FG can be tied in 2 min. Well worth it for a tie once until you have no more leader kind of knot. Some guys have apparently gotten the FG down too 1 min.

The FG only gets stronger with use.
supertrollr
Posted 2/27/2018 12:07 PM (#894179 - in reply to #894070)

Beastly Backlash - 2/26/2018 5:24 PM

supertrollr - 2/26/2018 1:11 AM

Couple reasons.

Helps prevent break offs on the cast.

Absorbs some force from head shakes.

But, my main reason is still primarily abrasion resistance.

like the idea for casting.but if you use 100 lbs braid it will absorb pounder without breaking so it should be virtually ok for everything
FishReed
Posted 2/27/2018 12:23 PM (#894182 - in reply to #894072)

Beastly Backlash - 2/26/2018 6:27 AM

Once you get the concept of the FG knot and learn the right technique, the FG can be tied in 2 min. Well worth it for a tie once until you have no more leader kind of knot. Some guys have apparently gotten the FG down too 1 min.

I believe you, but we are splitting hairs here...because the knot strength is so close, most guys including me, won't fuss with a FG knot when a double UNI does the job just fine...You can pick your choice of knots on what you are comfortable tying , but there is little to no difference in strength as both knots are as close to 100% as you can get...
Jeremy
Posted 2/27/2018 1:05 PM (#894189 - in reply to #894011)

FishReed - 2/26/2018 12:01 PM

Really good info.!! Thanks Reed.
splash
Posted 2/27/2018 5:31 PM (#894230 - in reply to #892674)

Thanks Reed- Great information.
Probably the reason I never got an answer when I e-mailed Power Pro on the same issue. The stuff never wears out.
Jim
FishReed
Posted 2/27/2018 6:15 PM (#894238 - in reply to #894230)

splash - 2/27/2018 6:31 AM

Thanks Reed- Great information.
Probably the reason I never got an answer when I e-mailed Power Pro on the same issue. The stuff never wears out.
Jim

LMAO..If the Power Pro people told you it never wears out then they would be cutting off their nose to spite their face...they love guys who replace their indestructible Power Pro line every season! It makes their cash register ring!
Beastly Backlash
Posted 2/27/2018 11:17 PM (#894300 - in reply to #894182)

FishReed - 2/27/2018 1:23 PM

I believe you, but we are splitting hairs here...because the knot strength is so close, most guys including me, won't fuss with a FG knot when a double UNI does the job just fine...You can pick your choice of knots on what you are comfortable tying , but there is little to no difference in strength as both knots are as close to 100% as you can get...

No hair splitting, you really must try the FG knot though, I guarantee you won't use anything else for a braid to mono leader knot afterwards.

Tieing a double uni with 80lb mono to braided line is actually a lot tougher then doing an FG knot and honestly I don't know anyone that does tie braid to mono using a double uni, especially if It is heavier mono; I can connect 400lb mono to 80lb braid with an FG, not possible with a double uni. It can be tough for anglers to come out from their comfort zones regarding knots, but I have yet to meet an angler that has gone to using an FG knot and decided to go back to using a double uni, Albright, Alberto, etc...

Musky are far from the most powerful fighting fish in North America, so a knot that is as strong as an FG knot isn't a priority amoung most musky guys. They just want something quick and simple. But, honestly, the FG is simpler then a double uni. There is a reason saltwater guys have really taken on to the FG knot, it is that much stronger then other braid to mono knots, much thinner too. The PR knot is supposed to be stronger though, but isn't as simple as the FG knot.

The FG knot is the only knot I have used that will survive multiple break offs from snags. In many cases, the knot allows me to pull my lures or rigs free of snags where other knots would have failed. It has saved me time from retying leaders and money from saving me lures.

FishReed
Posted 2/28/2018 1:30 AM (#894305 - in reply to #894300)

Beastly Backlash - 2/27/2018 12:17 PM

FishReed - 2/27/2018 1:23 PM

No hair splitting, you really must try the FG knot though, I guarantee you won't use anything else for a braid to mono leader knot afterwards.

Tieing a double uni with 80lb mono to braided line is actually a lot tougher then doing an FG knot and honestly I don't know anyone that does tie braid to mono using a double uni, especially if It is heavier mono; I can connect 400lb mono to 80lb braid with an FG, not possible with a double uni. It can be tough for anglers to come out from their comfort zones regarding knots, but I have yet to meet an angler that has gone to using an FG knot and decided to go back to using a double uni, Albright, Alberto, etc...

Musky are far from the most powerful fighting fish in North America, so a knot that is as strong as an FG knot isn't a priority among most musky guys. They just want something quick and simple. But, honestly, the FG is simpler then a double uni. There is a reason saltwater guys have really taken on to the FG knot, it is that much stronger then other braid to mono knots, much thinner too. The PR knot is supposed to be stronger though, but isn't as simple as the FG knot.

The FG knot is the only knot I have used that will survive multiple break offs from snags. In many cases, the knot allows me to pull my lures or rigs free of snags where other knots would have failed. It has saved me time from retying leaders and money from saving me lures.

Well you know somebody now who uses a uni and I have never had a problem tying a double uni in 25 years since the uni got popular. Before that I tied nail and blood knots with lines of the same diameter and never had a knot failure. The only thing you must remember is to wet the floro line for lubrication when you tighten because it can fail do to heat if you don't lube it while you tighten it. ...I only have one reel with 80 pound braid all the rest are 65# or lower. My leaders are are 20# Floro and 12# floro on my walleye reels. I guess you could classify me as "Lite" musky guy as I use floro strictly as leader material and I have never had a known failure with a double uni as I am Not a salt water fisherman and neither are most guys on this site. The Salties do different stuff for their needs. All I know is I have tested my uni knots on my employer's $100,000 tensile testing machine and my uni knot is good enough for me as my company manufacturers the tensile testing equipment so I know what to look for when testing mono, braid, floro and wire.

Speaking of snags, I haven't broke a line since forever...I have only used the lure retriever chain once in the last 5 years. I guess you could classify me as careful.

Always willing to try new stuff, I will try a reel with an FG leader knot as I can do that before I even step in the boat....lol. I figure if you want to tie new knots, don't do it in a pitching boat. I always heard about the FG knot, but I'm a big believer in "if it isn't broke don't fix it"!

I heard something that made a lot of sense from one of my walleye pro buddies. He debunked the floro line selling point as being invisible to fish. . He said if walleye, pike and musky, are so keenly eagle eyed on seeing your line, why do these dumb ass fish with their keen eyesight swim right into a Gill net? So the only thing I'm really sold on floro is its toughness but never because the fish can't see it......I classify floro invisibility with the Color-C-Lector marketing hype.
splash
Posted 2/28/2018 7:48 AM (#894326 - in reply to #892674)

Fishreed-
They did tell me that by not answering my e-mail!!!!!! LMAO
supertrollr
Posted 2/28/2018 8:34 AM (#894338 - in reply to #892674)

ive just take a look at how to make that fg knot,imo it's way too complicated ,i'll stay to my double uni,way more easier and never fail
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 2/28/2018 9:58 AM (#894351 - in reply to #894338)

The diff between a double uni and FG knot in knot strength is negligible not a real factor to worry or debate about . both great proven knots.
the uni is a very strong knot everyday work horse type of knot and is fast and easier to tie quickly without issues. however it is a bigger knot with hard out side surface due to the floro wrap. it is the most used knot i tie for general purpose whether for tying mono to floro, floro to floro ,or floro to braid or braid to braid such as in your spool, for shorter than 24" leaders or for braid to reg. hard leader swivels.
but...if you are using it in a casting application for a braid to floro knot and a long 24"-3'+ floro leader i do feel the FG is superior and a better choice . the finished knot is a much longer/smaller dia. knot than the uni and much softer because the braid is the outer wrap so it is abit less noisy coming thru guides and MUCH less chance of knocking out the first 3-4 rod tip guide ceramics and or restricting your cast length and causing minor glitches and backlashes especially with the smaller and smaller guides being used on thinner and lighter rods being made these days. the downside is it does take a bit longer as it is a bit more complicated knot to tie and more chance of screw up and a slipped knot for a beginner. get it down though it is a simple knot to tie too.
steve herbeck
Beastly Backlash
Posted 2/28/2018 7:27 PM (#894457 - in reply to #892674)

Fish Reed, if you try the FG knot, look up Tackle Advisors on Youtube and watch how he shows to tie the FG knot. He does the best video I have seen to date on how to tie an FG knot.

I firsted started using the FG knot about 7 years ago myself, before that I tried everything else and the FG was a game changer, especially for catfishing and saltwater angling because the leaders I use tend to have a drastic size difference vs the main braided line.

My areas I fish have many really bad snags, it is nearly impossible to fish without getting hung up. Even worse then the snags are the thousands of yards of fishing line that get balled up on the snags (to many people cutting their line when the get hung up).
sworrall
Posted 3/1/2018 12:03 PM (#894589 - in reply to #894011)

FishReed - 2/26/2018 12:01 PM

Even with a St Croix $500 rod with super duper guides I eventually get line wear that is visible in the first yard and a half or so of the line, I believe you refer to that as kinks, frays and laydown problems . I cut off the worn portion and re-tie, and also do that for knot wear. Backlashes can damage the line as well from a number of sources. I replace the line when the spool gets lower than I like. And before every trip to the Goon, LOTW, or Andy Myers Lodge. Just as a precaution...Herbie is not happy if one shows up with with a reel full of worn line.

Who is that running your machine in Spirit Lake? It's not Berkely.
Beastly Backlash
Posted 3/1/2018 5:01 PM (#894640 - in reply to #892674)

I spoke with a guy, who tests lines and knots, about the FG knot vs the double uni and he stated that he regularly gets about 55% to 60% breaking strength with a double uni and 80% to 90% percent with the FG knot. In my personal experience, the extra strength has been observable.

Knowing how much it sucks to loose a big fish, I think that extra strength is well worth the security you get with the FG knot, but, that is just me.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)