Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Lac Seul Questions

Message Subject: Lac Seul Questions
NickD
Posted 1/30/2018 12:23 PM (#890856)
Subject: Lac Seul Questions

Planning a father/son adventure with a couple buddies and our dads. We had the same group 4 years ago and had a great time but we are entertaining the thought of trying new water. Two of the dads have been fishing Minaki for 30+ years for walleyes and I have over a decade of experience there. My boat will be strictly musky fishing and the other 2 boats will be walleye focused and I’m sure they will cast for skis a bit and maybe more if I find fish. Group will be 6 or 7 people.

Those with Lac Seul Houseboat experience, do you think the water up north of chamberlain narrows is worth the effort the 2nd week of September? I know for sure I would enjoy the low density trophy hunt in the varied water up there. Will the walleye guys be happy? Navigation relatively easy? I’m aware of losing time due to houseboat travel and will explain that to the group.

I have Morson and NW Angle experience on LOTW and have entertained that water as well. LOTW has a little bigger water than I think the other guys would be comfortable with though. The fall back is Minaki and I would rather not go back there, but there is definitely something to be said for water familiarity and safe navigation on the shield. Not sure if we would ever be able to repeat the trip so want to make sure it will be a good experience. NE Lac Seul looks manageable in big wind and having the houseboat so close to the good water would be nice allowing for more time bs’ing than spending 30-40 minutes roundtrip like we do each day on LOTW.

Cost is a factor but the group sounds like they are willing to spend more for a better experience.

Thoughts?
Musky Brian
Posted 1/31/2018 7:55 AM (#890911 - in reply to #890856)
Subject: Re: Lac Seul Questions

Navigation isn’t too bad. At least I only saw a handful of things on my end. The houseboat journey sucks, I think it takes like 6 hours to get to Chamberlain Narrows.

Fish werent super easy to find up there but I sure wouldn’t hesitate to go back as they were all tanks. Just know it’s going to be a grind and you are there for a big girl, not numbers.
IAJustin
Posted 1/31/2018 9:58 AM (#890925 - in reply to #890911)

I've never done the houseboat deal or the east end, pike and walleye fishing was stupid easy on the west side when I was there 20 years ago (I know not much help to your questions) but the situation you describe seams perfect for a houseboat trip and the experience /the "hunt" with family and friends on a trip like that will be remembered forever - Go for it!
BNelson
Posted 1/31/2018 10:03 AM (#890926 - in reply to #890925)

might be worth checking with Ben Beattie to see if he guides up past Chamberlain, I think he does... might not be too booked in Sept and a day with him would be $ well spent. I have done 4 trips up that way on a houseboat, all were in july or august. Walleye fishing is fairly easy up there, muskies are much more low density but mid sept should be very low pressure. Drop Ben a message on facebook if you want to check w him
tyler k
Posted 1/31/2018 11:42 AM (#890929 - in reply to #890856)

Do it, don't even hesitate. Muskies are low density, try to key on very specific variables when you find a fish and replicate. Body condition on those fish is impressive.

Walleyes are easy to come by, wouldn't worry about that. You'll catch them on musky baits.

When I went to Lac Seul, we had the houseboat piloted for us, gave a location for them to park it and hopped in our boats and fished instead of losing several hours on the ride in.
NickD
Posted 2/1/2018 11:19 AM (#891025 - in reply to #890856)

Appreciate the replies and they confirm my intuitions on the trip. The info is out to the group so we will see what they decide!
Blocker
Posted 2/2/2018 8:56 PM (#891149 - in reply to #890856)
Subject: RE: Lac Seul Questions

Pickeral arm camp @tuk bay is a great location. Great fishing and musky 10 min away and a few caught right in tuk. Fly in or you can boat in if you want your own rig.
azmuskyman
Posted 2/11/2018 8:16 PM (#892076 - in reply to #890856)

I've done Chamberlin in September several times. Its like any water, weather rules. I've been there and only caught dinks and not even seen a 50 but I've also been and hammered them. All in all though I would say September is my least favorite as its not as predictable. I've had buddies go and pimp the topwater bite in September on lac Seul. I have yet to see it.
Southern Muskies
Posted 2/14/2018 9:16 AM (#892378 - in reply to #890856)

Ben Beattie would be the one to call as B Nelson said. Knows his stuff and a great guy to fish with. Had the opportunity to fish with him for 5 days in mid Sept. 2 years ago. Fishing was tough; but I learned a lot and had a great time.
I will be up at Moosehorn Lodge in mid July. Linda and her staff run a first class lodge and couldn't be more helpful. Meals and people are all fantastic. Can't wait to get back up there.
UglyPike
Posted 3/13/2018 12:07 PM (#896417 - in reply to #890856)

I cant comment on houseboats but I found walleye fishing was relatively easy (Tuk Bay region). Navigation isnt too bad either on that lake. I agree with Southern Muskies. I wouldnt step foot onto Lac Seul unless it was on Ben Beattie's boat. He is an absolute stud on the water and can find you those cabbage dragons. He manages Winoga Lodge.
happy hooker
Posted 3/13/2018 3:55 PM (#896460 - in reply to #896417)

I got my butt kicked on this lake by a neon green 8 inch reefhawg,,partner got 4 fish in one day,,I won't go back without at least three in my box.

Edited by happy hooker 3/13/2018 3:56 PM
dougj
Posted 3/13/2018 7:47 PM (#896497 - in reply to #890856)

As far as I can tell the biggest muskies in NW Ontario live near Chamberlin Narrows on Lac Seul! Been there many times great area for both Walleyes and Muskies.
BNelson
Posted 3/14/2018 10:27 AM (#897609 - in reply to #896497)

DougJ that post intrigues me... I have fished up there a few times and def saw some big ones but I'm curious why you think that area of Lac Seul has the biggest as opposed to other lakes, or areas that have much fattier forage base, ciscoes/whitefish etc... just general genetics of the area and low density or other factors? What about lakes like Stork etc where Bobby lost the 72"er ?
dougj
Posted 3/15/2018 7:49 PM (#898941 - in reply to #890856)

Mostly personal experience, At one time or the other in the past 50 years or so I've fished almost all the "big" muskie lakes in NW Ontario. I've spent 50 years or so on the LOTWs both fishing for myself and as a guide (up too and above 100 days/year), Still the biggest fish I've ever seen have been on Lac Seul. I suspect that genetics is probably the biggest reason. Forage base on Lac Seul is probably not too much different that most NW Ontario lakes with the exception that there are good population of Gold Eyes in Lac Seul, which are probably good munching.

There where a good number of fish that where caught in the 90's that where in the high 50" range out of Lac Seul. My good friend the late and great Jack Burns had a 57"er in his boat, and if you remember the Jacobson fish from that time frame and others there was some very big fish caught. The lake has been total catch and release since that time. I would guess pressure is also decreasing, which will decrease the number of fish caught.

I still remember the day when a friend and I where casting a large weed bed at dark. I was casting a large spinner bait, I had a small weed hooked on the last hook. I was twitching the lure to get rid of the weed when out of a near pocket the largest muskie I had ever seen blasted away at the lure. My buddy was just reeling in and I told him the figure-8. The fish came back at his lure and missed, but came about four feet out of the water. We guessed that fish at around 60"! I have other stories!

Haven't been back for a number of years, but this lake had the biggest as far as I can tell.

Edited by dougj 3/16/2018 7:42 PM
supertrollr
Posted 3/15/2018 8:42 PM (#898947 - in reply to #898941)

50 pounder + for sure look at the head of that thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPSChkufrdg
muskysaloon
Posted 3/25/2018 8:37 AM (#899981 - in reply to #898941)

dougj - 3/15/2018 7:49 PM

Mostly personal experience, At one time or the other in the past 50 years or so I've fished almost all the "big" muskie lakes in NW Ontario. I've spent 50 years or so on the LOTWs both fishing for myself and as a guide (up too and above 100 days/year), Still the biggest fish I've ever seen have been on Lac Seul. I suspect that genetics is probably the biggest reason. Forage base on Lac Seul is probably not too much different that most NW Ontario lakes with the exception that there are good population of Gold Eyes in Lac Seul, which are probably good munching.

There where a good number of fish that where caught in the 90's that where in the high 50" range out of Lac Seul. My good friend the late and great Jack Burns had a 57"er in his boat, and if you remember the Jacobson fish from that time frame and others there was some very big fish caught. The lake has been total catch and release since that time. I would guess pressure is also decreasing, which will decrease the number of fish caught.

I still remember the day when a friend and I where casting a large weed bed at dark. I was casting a large spinner bait, I had a small weed hooked on the last hook. I was twitching the lure to get rid of the weed when out of a near pocket the largest muskie I had ever seen blasted away at the lure. My buddy was just reeling in and I told him the figure-8. The fish came back at his lure and missed, but came about four feet out of the water. We guessed that fish at around 60"! I have other stories!

Haven't been back for a number of years, but this lake had the biggest as far as I can tell.

Doug, its good to hear from someone with your experience talk about giants seen over the years. Without naming lakes, i'd love to hear more big fish encounters! Maybe you could get Dick P and Don P to jump in too. Unfortunately lots of folks always poo poo big fish encounters as just big eyed fisherman. which can be the case lots of times. but I doubt those same folks would disregard guys of your reputations. Its what keeps us casting eh?
rpike
Posted 3/27/2018 6:09 PM (#900283 - in reply to #898947)

I was there when Jacobsen caught that fish! He and his crew were fishing walleyes something like 95% of the time. They went out chucking for muskies one night and BOOM! Meanwhile, my partner and I flogged away until we were senseless and boated 4 during the week (three of the four the day Jacobsen caught his). The walleyes were stupid easy to catch when we wanted to get some for dinner.
MuskyMeister
Posted 4/18/2019 10:16 AM (#935828 - in reply to #890856)

Hi Guys: I am going up to Tom's Landing with Andersons Lodge in the Last week of August in 2019 with 4 buddies. I love the area and this will be my third time to lac Seul. Stayed at Tuk Bay first year. The Walleye were unreal that year. two years later at Pickeral Narrows. This is a spectacular outpost. Like you are the only one on the lake, gorgeous setting. Weather was amazing no wind and sunny every day. Fishing was a tougher, but caught lots of walleye.
I've since caught the Musky bug and fishing these beast is so exciting. They are true beauties! I caught a 43" last year at LOTW. So now I'm looking at Lac Seul (Tom's Landing) area. I heard that Area near Toms is some of the best Musky fishing in all of Lac Seul. The channel in front of Toms and Birch Narrows is supposed to be great. As well the entrance to Wapesi bay as well. Doug do you have experience in Wapesi bay? I noted on Zoom Earth that it looks like there are some large weed beds around the southern border of Wapesi bay. Any comments. I will be fishing with regular cowgirls, Medussa, and my favourite lure the double Colorado Fox lure with the huge boa on it. Any one used a Bondy bait? Ive never used this for jigging Musky? Any comments?
Thanks Guys!
BNelson
Posted 4/18/2019 3:25 PM (#935847 - in reply to #935828)

been many years since I was there, but when we were there, we didn't go into Wapesi, we had heard it was more for big pike, that said I have heard of some big ones in there. we stuck to east of the entrance of Wapesi up to Pine Island area up to Birch narrows. Fish contacts dropped way off for us North of Jackfish narrows, are there fish, sure, but we found more fish south. there is some insanely good looking structure north of Jackfish we did not see a single fish on... if you spent your time hitting the structure from Merrit bay/Wapesi entrance to Jackfish you are in good musky water...last week of august I'd clip a double 10 on one rod, and a cannonall Jr and not take them off unless you get socked with a cold front. . good luck!

Edited by BNelson 4/18/2019 3:26 PM
MuskyMeister
Posted 4/18/2019 4:46 PM (#935851 - in reply to #890856)

Thanks for the info Nelson. I really liked Wapesi Bay, but fished it two days from Pickeral Narrows outpost so we didnt have time to explore it. That said we weren't really finishing musky there, but caught consistent fish and great sized walleye.
Have you tried jigging with Bondy baits?
BNelson
Posted 4/19/2019 8:46 AM (#935901 - in reply to #935851)

yes, I've caught fish on bondys but that is not a tactic I'd use on Lac Seul in august... lac seul fish like it shallow.. fish shallow weeds and rocks with bucktails and topwaters.

Edited by BNelson 4/19/2019 8:49 AM
phselect
Posted 4/19/2019 9:19 AM (#935904 - in reply to #890856)

Been a while since I've been there, but all the Muskie "rules of thumb" seem to apply very well on this lake - bright day, bright lures, and vice-versa. The water is tea-stained, and this section of the lake is relatively shallow (lots of water less than 25'). Weather fronts are crucial. If a weather change is coming - get on your hot spots. We usually went in late August. Fish can be very shallow - often hanging in 2-3 feet. More of a rock bite that time of year, but if you find green weeds, throw 'em. Walleye fishing is pretty easy, and the pike are impressive - especially in Tuk and Wapesi bays.
Lake Of The Woods
Posted 4/20/2019 12:23 AM (#935959 - in reply to #890856)

Lived in northwestern Ontario for many years working for the MNR and have fished many bodies of water including Lac Seul.

Lac Seul is located on the former lake bed of glacial Lake Agassiz. Due to this previous lake, much of the bottom of the Lac Seul is covered with thick deposits of lacustrine silts and varved clay of varying thickness.Long before Lac Seul was formed, the area was a massive valley with rivers, steams and small isolated lakes that were stuffed with Walleyes. In 1929 the Ear Falls Hydro Electric Dam was constructed and the area was flooded forming what is called present day Lac Seul.Lac Seul is a very nutrient rich lake and fed by many streams and rivers including the Root River, the English River and the Vermilion River. Depending on the time of year, water flow through Lac Seul can be anywhere between 500 and 6000 cubic feet per second. This has kept the water in the lake fresh and highly oxygenated as well as keeping a neutral PH balance. This combination of factors has enabled many species of plants, which Walleyes love, such as Musky Cabbage, Pickerel Weed, Duck Weed, Canary Weed, Tape Grass and Plantain to flourish, making Lac Seul and ideal lake for a fishing. Shoreline plants such as Wild Rice, Lilly Pads and Bulrush are also very common. Combining these species of plants with a diverse rocky to sandy bottom structure and the availability of beaches, sandbars and rivers for the Walleyes to spawn on, Lac Seul became the perfect Walleye fishing Lake.various streams and rivers came together creating a fresh and diverse gene pool, which enabled the Walleyes to be stronger, bigger and reproduce in massive numbers. To this day Lac Seul is still the best Walleye fishing lake in the world when considering size and numbers.Many anglers go fishing for walleyes at night since this is when major feeding patterns occur and it can be beneficial to troll during full moons. The fish's eyes also allow them to see well in lakes with less than average water clarity & colour(stained or rough, breaking waters), which gives them an advantage over their prey.When fishing walleye anglers will commonly look for days and locations where there is a good "walleye chop" (i.e., rough water or a transition zone). This excellent vision also allows the fish to populate the deeper regions in a lake, and they can often be found in deeper water, particularly during the warmest part of the summer.

It’s not uncommon to catch 80 Walleyes or even more in a day. There are many fishing spots on Lac Seul that will provide you with non-stop walleye fishing action. These fishing areas are usually stocked with schools of smaller males most commonly weighing in the 1 to 2.5 pound range. Scattered amongst them will be bigger Walleyes and you should be able to catch several that are around 3 pounds and a few larger fish weighing in the 4 to 6 pound range.Several walleye catches over 32” in Lac Seul are common as well.Fishing tactics vary from season to season and also on the time of day you might find yourself fishing on Lac Seul in search of a trophy walleye. When fishing n the spring months of May and June, the walleye are more specific from a location perspective. With the spawning season complete, the fishing is ideal in the shallows along the river mouths and shoreline areas with plenty of rubble as a large portion of Lac Seul Walleye are shoal spawners. Fishing during the daylight hours with small metallic coloured spoons is certain to produce results and jigs of various colours are very effective as well. The key with jigs is to be able to feel the lake bottom. When Lac Seul Walleye fishing, make sure to adjust the weight of your jig according to depth and speed. If you are fishing in shallow water on Lac Seul or are anchored and sitting still, go light. If it's deep, or the wind is blowing hard, go fishing with a heavier weight jig. When fishing in the summer months of July and August the walleye tend to spread out into all areas of Lac Seul. The weather is ideal and the walleye fishing is explosive. The walleye remain shallow and within easy reach due to Lac Seul’s water’s coloration. When fishing, it is a good idea to use a sonar unit to locate underwater reefs, submerged timbers and long-tapering points in water 5 to 20 feet deep. During the daylight hours in July and August, the walleye can also be found in the weedy areas of Lac Seul where they congregate in search of bugs, minnows and small perch. During these months, the larger fish tend to head for deeper water and fishing the open water and deep reefs after dark has been known to produce quality fish rather than quantities.

The autumn Walleye fishing still produces great fish. These months bring the fishing back into shallow waters and offer up some exciting casting action. Perch coloured trolling crank baits and trolling weighted spinners like Little Joes tipped with a minnow are suggested techniques. Trophy Walleye fishing in Lac Seul is also excellent at dusk when the larger females come out of the deeper water and go right into the shallows to hunt prey. This is the case for night fishing.In Lac Seul’s tea stained water, flashy crawler harnesses and spinners work to catch the fish’s attention but bottom bouncers and jigs also work exceptionally well.Using minnows for fishing bait is usually a better option than leeches, night crawlers, rubber twister tails or scented rubber baits but all have caught some great Lac Seul Walleye.The winter walleye can be found in depths ranging from 20 to 30 feet.

People also often go fishing in search for aggressive Northern Pike, record size Muskie, chunky Smallmouth Bass, plentiful Perch and Whitefish. Small-to-medium-sized Northern Pike can be caught in numbers throughout the season but larger fish that can tip the scales at up to 32 pounds have been recorded. In fact, the opening of Walleye fishing season in May is when some of the biggest Northern Pike are caught. Muskie can grow large in Lac Seul and 40 pound fish are brought in every year. There is a strict catch and release policy when fishing on all muskies caught in Lac Seul and this is working to ensure that the fishery will continue to get better and better. June is definitely the peak month for bass fishing as they tend to move out to deeper water after the spawn. Lac Seul Perch can be caught all year round and are known to be found in the same shallow spots as the walleye.Whitefish are an abundant species in Lac Seul and it’s not uncommon to catch one fishing while targeting walleye or pike.

Here are some methods and techniques to try.

Live Bait:

In Lac Seul a live minnow on a jig works best because smell and sound are bigger factors than visibility. You can use a 3/16 oz in calm water or a 3/8 oz to 1/4 oz in current. Just use a straight jig with no twistertail. Cast out gently and use long slow jigs so you don't rip your minnow off. When the walleye grabs the minnow, stop pulling and let the fish take the minnow for a couple of seconds and then set the hook.

Once you have found a spot where you are catching Walleye after Walleye, you can save your minnows and put on a jig with a Leech or a jig with an unscented chartreuse or white twistertail with a tiny piece if worm or just bare. Salted rubber baits work well but the scented power grubs do not work as well in the north.
When you are in a hotspot you don't have to use live bait at all. You can cast lures. If you are casting into shallow water or current, you should go with a shallow running lure like a Original Floating Rapala or a Junior Thunderstick. If casting in deeper water, you can try deeper running lures like Fat Raps, Cotton Cordell Grappler Shad, Down Deep Husky Jerks, Flatfish or what ever you have in your tackle box that goes a little deeper. With jigs the white and chartreuse works best so try to use colors that are bright and visible when selecting a lure.

Hot Days:

Sometimes the Walleyes get very lazy in the summer, especially if it's a hot sunny day. Use a 1/8-oz jig and put on a minnow or a chartreuse or white unscented twistertail with a tiny piece of worm. Then cast out and literally drag the jig across the bottom. Give it tiny little jigs (2 or 3 inches) once in a while just to shake off any mud or weeds. This bottom dragging gets the Walleyes feeding. It really works. You should always jig slowly. Just make the jig motion longer in the morning, as the Walleyes are more aggressive. You can leave the jig on the bottom for a few seconds between jigs. The Walleyes also hit the jig very softly in this situation. You really have to concentrate on the feel of your rod to know if the resistance is just weeds or if it's a Walleye.I suggest a stiff yet sensitive rod when doing the bottom bouncing like this.

Catching Big Trophy Walleyes:

The big trophy Walleyes are almost always female and in the summer or on hot sunny days, they go deep. In a clear water lake they may go 30 or 40 feet deep but in Lac Seul's Walleye Wine water, the big females only need to go 15 feet deep.I'm not saying you will not catch big trophy Walleyes in the shallows, it's just in certain conditions it's better to target a different depth if you want to catch bigger fish.

The prime areas are drop-offs near sand bars, mouth of narrows, weeds, rocky points and reefs. If you find an area where a spring is running into the lake and there is a drop-off; that is also a prime spot. In this situation you can drift along the drop off with a heavier jig and minnow. If there is a lot of water to cover or the wind is going in the wrong direction, you will have to troll. In this case you want to troll and get down 15 feet so you would want to use deep running lures such as Down Deep Husky Jerks or an Erie Dearie with a minnow, Leech or worm. You can use your shallow running lures and put a weight on the line but split-shots weaken your line and the probability of you running into a big Pike or Muskie is extremely high.

Trolling with deep running lures or using weights is fine for a lake with a sandy or muddy bottom. In a rocky Canadian Shield Lake like Lac Seul there are rocks on the bottom thus lots of snags. A trick to get deep and save your lures is to troll with a 3-way swivel. You only have to go 15 feet deep so a 1/2 oz weight will be enough to get you down. With the three way swivel, use 8-10 pound test line between the swivel and the lure. Use 6-pound test between the swivel and the sinker. Have the line going to the lure a couple of inches shorter. This way if you get a snag the sinker breaks off and not your lure.

With a 3-way swivel, it's best to back troll and move as slow as you can. You only want to move fast enough for the lure to work and no faster. Larger Trophy Walleyes seem to hit slower baits as well.
MuskyMeister
Posted 4/26/2019 7:50 AM (#936290 - in reply to #935959)

Thanks LOTW! This is great info, much appreciated for your long post. Any favourite Musky Tactics?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)