Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??

Message Subject: Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??
Junkman
Posted 1/12/2018 2:30 PM (#889599 - in reply to #889543)
Subject: Re: Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??

Statistics is the use of mathematics to see trends of behavior that can easily and graphically be displayed in common and easy to understand manners. So if, let’s say, you had data on fishing license sales that showed those sales to be lower and lower with respect to population, and that the mean age of those license holders was skewing older every year for ten years...well then you could say less folks are fishing and the ones who are fishing are older. Why? Because you would have evidence. If you, on the other hand, said you thought most of the people you saw at the Musky expo were in their twenties, well, that wouldn’t mean squat. And, if you said all of my four children (who really were taught to fish and respect the outdoors properly) would rather have their face buried in their smart phone, you would also not know that for sure. I, on the other hand, do know it for sure. “These kids today........” #*^@ it!
johnsonaaro2
Posted 1/12/2018 2:56 PM (#889601 - in reply to #889543)

im surprised the headline didn't read "Millenials are killing the Fishing and Hunting industry". Just sounds like lazy journalism to me...
TCESOX
Posted 1/12/2018 3:01 PM (#889603 - in reply to #889543)

One reason we may not notice a decline in younger folks, in our community, is that, at least in Minnesota, muskie fishing is one of the only categories of hunting or fishing, that has actually been growing. When an activity is growing in popularity, it usually comes from younger folks. Also, hiking and riding bikes on trails in the woods, are growing activities with the age group you are referring to, but they don't have to buy hunting or fishing licenses, so we may not be able to quantify their outdoor activities as easily.
muddymusky
Posted 1/12/2018 5:44 PM (#889609 - in reply to #889546)
Subject: RE: Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??

musky513 - 1/12/2018 9:15 AM

They won't get a participation ribbon or medal just for showing up...

I get it. Good one!
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/12/2018 5:48 PM (#889611 - in reply to #889598)

14ledo81 - 1/12/2018 2:27 PM

Pointerpride102 - 1/12/2018 2:18 PM

14ledo81 - 1/12/2018 2:14 PM

Pointerpride102 - 1/12/2018 2:03 PM

14ledo81 - 1/12/2018 1:54 PM

Pointerpride102 - 1/12/2018 1:14 PM

14ledo81 - 1/12/2018 12:50 PM

Pointerpride102 - 1/12/2018 11:48 AM

Dirt Esox - 1/12/2018 11:00 AM

dbach17 - 1/12/2018 10:39 AM
Dirt Esox - 1/12/2018 10:36 AM There's a big difference between "lazy" and "entitled". A good portion of millennials I know fall into the latter category. Most stereotypes are based in at least some amount of truth...
I have yet to meet any human being who did not feel "entitled" to something. You know, like "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

How very millennial of you to make an argument like that.  Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness(derived from our founding fathers Judeo-Christian belief system that the aforementioned are God given)are entirely different than unearned trophy and smothering parent given rights to a 250K salary, the managers job, and 8 weeks of vacation immediately upon graduating college.

I can see tons of millennials lining up to fish/hunt with this guy. Sounds like loads of fun!

Which one Pointer? The one you agree with? Or the one you don't?

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Not anymore than you were..... ;)

What was obtuse about my statement? It's pretty clear who I quoted....

As a millennial, why would someone want to fish with someone that believes we're all entitled brats who haven't earned anything on our own?

What was obtuse about it? You disagreed with his viewpoint, and said he must be "loads of fun" to fish with. You don't even know the man.

He didn't say all, and he didn't use the word brats. I am a millennial myself, and I didn't get to worked up by his comment. Maybe some of those millennials that get all sore about it realize it has a bit of truth to it?

Based off of what I have read here, I would have no issue fishing with him.

So I shouldn't put a label on him like he has to millenials?

He made a general statement about an entire generation (and it wasn't all inclusive, he used the words "good portion"). You came back with a personal jab. I see a difference. Maybe you don't. Maybe because you took it personally?

Far from it. I actually find it amusing. The generalization is lazy. Are there lazy, entitled millenials? Absolutely. Just like there were lazy, entitled people in every generation prior.
Reelwise
Posted 1/12/2018 7:00 PM (#889616 - in reply to #889579)

Millennials represent about 50 percent of the workforce and in about 5-6 years that number is assumed to grow to 75 percent. Millennials obviously grew up in a different time period... which has lead most to focus more on education and their careers versus starting their own family and fishing all the time at a young age with a job they hate doing. So much for lazy...

Does this make any sense?
- Education and working for a career they love = lazy
- Jumping on the first decent paying job, starting a family, and fishing all the time = productive
Yeah... makes no sense to me either.

The sense of entitlement thing is a joke... we would be fools to waste out on opportunities that exist now thanks to the hard work and sacrifices those who came before us have made. We advanced... and life is a little easier for some people. How is that a reason to bash them? Older guys and gals... give yourself a pad on the back. You should be proud of yourselves.

Our armed forces... our relatives... they worked hard for things to be easier for us - and I appreciate it. Is it our fault most of the roads and bridges have already been built? Take a look at some of the careers that exist now... and how much good millennials are doing for the business world. I would have to say more and more young people are making work fun these days. God forbid somebody has fun with their life.
cincinnati
Posted 1/12/2018 8:26 PM (#889623 - in reply to #889616)

1/3 of millennials are focusing on education & careers...in dad's basement.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/330279-more-millennials-liv...
Reelwise
Posted 1/12/2018 8:31 PM (#889624 - in reply to #889623)

So now it is a bad thing that parents offer help and aid to improve the chance of success for their children?

Weird...

Edited by Reelwise 1/12/2018 8:32 PM
Reelwise
Posted 1/12/2018 8:34 PM (#889626 - in reply to #889543)

I did not see anything in the article about how a lot of the parents of millennials are having a tough time themselves and need roomates to help them get by...
North of 8
Posted 1/12/2018 8:57 PM (#889629 - in reply to #889543)

Before I retired, I hired a number of millennials for entry level professional jobs and they were terrific. High energy, focused, wanted to advance and were willing to do the work to do so. I started interviewing and hiring people over 40 years ago. The Millennials stack up well in comparison to any other group. But, they are going to be loyal to their career, not a company. They saw their parents lose jobs in downsizings due to mergers, go without raises while the incompetent CEO who caused the company to be up for sale walks away with a golden parachute.
I don't know all the reasons they might not be hunting and fishing as much but something that is happening and will probably continue for some time is people taking less vacation time. Most jobs today provide less paid vacation than companies provided 20 years ago. And even if they have vacation, people are reluctant to take it, at least in week long chunks. The Wisconsin Department of Tourism had a study last year where they found that people are using less vacation time, and it is hurting tourism. Instead of a week up north on a lake, they take a long weekend, taking one or two days of vacation.
What is even more remarkable is how much vacation is unused and lost. The story on Wis. Public Radio that talked about the states study said a lot of people today just don't use all their vacation time. And even when they do, they are expected to stay connected, answer e-mails, respond to texts. Before I retired articles in HR journals and online talked about this phenomenon where companies expect you to be available, regardless of whether you are on vacation or not. Some of those folks you see walking and staring at their phones are reading a text their boss sent them on their lunch break, on their day off, etc. Back in the late 90s I worked for a multi state company and because cell coverage was not what it is today, when I was on the road, I had to have not only my big clunky cell, but also a pager. At home during the week, I was to have my pager on me until 8:00 PM eastern time, because we had offices open until then. That was nothing compared to what a lot of companies expect today.
sworrall
Posted 1/12/2018 9:13 PM (#889632 - in reply to #889543)

Geeze
TannerAE
Posted 1/12/2018 10:23 PM (#889639 - in reply to #889543)

First of all i want say that Dbach and musky skunk NAILED it. Being honest, nice, and simply explaining your side of the story goes along way when introducing someone to something. I'm a junior in high school and can say that the stereotypes are true. I'm surrounded by them all the time. But this doesn't mean that they are terrible or aren't useful. Genetics have not all of a sudden decided to make a bunch of useless jerks. People are a result of their environment, so if anything is to blame its social media and other things. Being negative will do nothing but fuel the fire. I definitely dont think fishing is going away. As far as i can tell there are more boats on the water now than ever. Also look at all the youtube channels on fishing that cater towards the younger generation.
Beastly Backlash
Posted 1/12/2018 10:31 PM (#889640 - in reply to #889639)

I blame the parents.

If you don't spend time with your kids, they don't learn to appreciate and/or enjoy doing outdoors activities.

They see that their parents just sit and watch TV so that is what the millennials have learned to do; throw in video games and social media and you end up with a bunch of people who don't participate in real living as their lives are lived in the digital realm.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 1/12/2018 11:56 PM (#889641 - in reply to #889543)

I think an average millennial would think this thread is obtuse.
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/13/2018 12:21 AM (#889645 - in reply to #889641)

ARmuskyaddict - 1/12/2018 11:56 PM

I think an average millennial would think this thread is obtuse.

Indeed.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 1/13/2018 5:52 AM (#889646 - in reply to #889543)

I am a "millenial." Ofcourse i live up in the northwoods. But in my area, i would say 8 or 9 out of 10 of every male between 16 and 30 hunts and fishes. Here, if you dont hunt or fish, your an oddball... i woulsnt know any other lifestyle. It depends where you live. I agree with the rural----->urban thing..
14ledo81
Posted 1/13/2018 7:07 AM (#889648 - in reply to #889611)

Pointerpride102 - 1/12/2018 5:48 PM

Dirt Esox - 1/12/2018 10:36 AM There's a big difference between "lazy" and "entitled". A good portion of millennials I know fall into the latter category. Most stereotypes are based in at least some amount of truth...
I have yet to meet any human being who did not feel "entitled" to something. You know, like "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

How very millennial of you to make an argument like that.  Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness(derived from our founding fathers Judeo-Christian belief system that the aforementioned are God given)are entirely different than unearned trophy and smothering parent given rights to a 250K salary, the managers job, and 8 weeks of vacation immediately upon graduating college.

I can see tons of millennials lining up to fish/hunt with this guy. Sounds like loads of fun!

As a millennial, why would someone want to fish with someone that believes we're all entitled brats who haven't earned anything on our own?

What was obtuse about it? You disagreed with his viewpoint, and said he must be "loads of fun" to fish with. You don't even know the man.

He didn't say all, and he didn't use the word brats. I am a millennial myself, and I didn't get to worked up by his comment. Maybe some of those millennials that get all sore about it realize it has a bit of truth to it?

He made a general statement about an entire generation (and it wasn't all inclusive, he used the words "good portion"). You came back with a personal jab. I see a difference. Maybe you don't. Maybe because you took it personally?

Far from it. I actually find it amusing. The generalization is lazy. Are there lazy, entitled millenials? Absolutely. Just like there were lazy, entitled people in every generation prior.

So you didn't take personally? But decided to post a personal jab at dirt esox? I would call that obtuse....

Edited by 14ledo81 1/13/2018 7:09 AM
kjgmh
Posted 1/13/2018 8:39 AM (#889652 - in reply to #889543)

Growing up in a rural area it was common to get on my bike and take off for a day to go fishing. Or get dropped off at the lake if we could find someone to drive us and then get picked up at dark. My buddies and I had our first camping trips before we had drivers licences. I think that this is completely gone from our lifestyles now days. Parents couldn't imagine their kids being out alone for a day. Why has that changed? To me that was a big part of what got me started in fishing.
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/13/2018 9:07 AM (#889655 - in reply to #889648)

14ledo81 - 1/13/2018 7:07 AM

So you didn't take personally? But decided to post a personal jab at dirt esox? I would call that obtuse....

So you thought you'd try to out obtuse me?
Ruddiger
Posted 1/13/2018 9:18 AM (#889656 - in reply to #889552)

dbach17 - 1/12/2018 10:58 AM

Disclaimer: I am a "millennial"

Part of the issue is reflected in the comments above. There seems to be this really visceral reaction by older generations to millennials, with common epithets thrown at them like "lazy." I'll tell you right now, that's not helping in any way. Let's be honest, millennials aren't the only ones using technology at higher rates then ever before. How many people here take their grandchildren or nieces and nephews fishing with them? From my experience, this happens less then it used to. My grandfather, a WWII vet, is the primary reason I like to fish now. Kids are not always very patient, so it takes a special relationship to get them to participate in an activity that requires it. I'm grateful he did this for me, because it helped me become a more patient person in general. The concern I have is that too many hunters and anglers have gotten away from the sacrifice it takes to bring a child with. I have a 15 month old son, and I know that when he's old enough to fish, I have to give up my own fishing time to help him and really allow him to enjoy it. That will be a tough sacrifice to make, but I think it's worth it, and I can only hope that others here do too and will follow suit with both their own children and other extended family. My grandfather and uncles did it for me, so it's my turn now.

Another piece of the puzzle, at least for me, is how much work has encroached on our personal time. It's hard to put your cell phone down when you might get an important email you need to respond to at any moment. In my previous job, I always had to have my phone on me in case I had to respond to an "emergency." For instance, when my family goes up to Lake Vermilion, my wife still complains about the slow internet speeds. She says "what if I need to do something?" That impacts all generations, but particularly millennials now, as they are often in the early stages of their careers and feel the need to be constantly available. This goes hand in hand with vacation time as well. People get and take less of it, and when they get it, do they want to fish or hunt? I personally do, but that's because I find peace in doing it because it's where I feel a connection to wonderful childhood memories, and I enjoy the challenge.

Cost has an impact too. The last couple of weeks I've been trying to book a cabin on the Manitowish Chain in Wisconsin, and it is less than fun. It's hard to find places priced in the $1000 - $2000 a week, which for some makes these trips really cost ineffective. Think about it this way. You can stay in a really nice condo or resort in many tropical locations for $300 or less a night. Being a little more competitive in the northern states with resort pricing could help some. Over the long term, the idea would be that more families could access a vacation like that, and thus have the opportunity to experience the outdoors.

Finally, like the article first referenced in this thread says, you need to meet millennials where they are. For example, I really like catch and release fishing for all species, and that's OK. Just like it's OK to keep a limit if you want to eat fish. My hope is that we can tone down the "snowflake" garbage. While helping set up at the local fishing flea market last year, I heard a gentleman make more than a few derogatory comments about younger people, specifically using the term "snowflake." Want to know what happens when you do this? People completely disengage from you. Why would anyone want to talk or learn from someone who refuses to take a genuine interest in them or show them empathy or understanding? And that goes both ways, old to young, young to old.

In essence, what I hope we can start to do is show younger people both the purpose of these activities, along with the ancillary benefits they bring. When I take my son fishing some day, I'm going to tell him stories about when I was younger, like how I threw my pole in the water on a cast and his great grandfather found the lure and we pulled in all of the line on the spool to retrieve it. I'll tell him what kind of fish we're catching and we'll briefly admire how cool they are before putting them back. I'll point out the eagles we see, their nests and how big they are, loons and the silly noises they make. For those that hunt or fish for food, tell kids about why it's important to take only what you need and respect nature for allowing it to work. When someone else catches a fish, smile and be genuinely happy for them. Let people make connections with these activities, find happiness and peace, and they will continue on. Fishing and hunting should be about more than just fishing and hunting, and I think we can do them a great service by helping younger people experience them that way.

Howdy,

Yeah, but then a bunch of hypocrites would have to get off their high-horse, and what fun is that?

Every generation has largely failed to live up to the expectations and so-called achievements of the ones that came before it. Millennials are no different.

However, the political polarization that we have is as much a part of this as anything, particularly with the strong age related identification to political parties that is reflected in boomers as opposed to Millennials. Hence the "snowflake" crap.

Thankfully, as a Gen-Xer, I achieved total perfection at an early age and am now the gold standard of how society should be. Now if only the rest of the generations could their act together.

Take care,

Ruddiger
bbeaupre
Posted 1/13/2018 11:44 AM (#889670 - in reply to #889543)

Wow... I just wasted way too much time reading this... when I could have been hunting or fishing.
14ledo81
Posted 1/13/2018 12:13 PM (#889674 - in reply to #889655)

Pointerpride102 - 1/13/2018 9:07 AM

14ledo81 - 1/13/2018 7:07 AM

So you thought you'd try to out obtuse me?

Yes. I don't like bullying.

Edited by 14ledo81 1/13/2018 12:40 PM
sworrall
Posted 1/13/2018 1:54 PM (#889677 - in reply to #889543)

Lead with your chin, expect those results. If you would stop trying to one up pointer ( same with him, obviously), you would not be engaged in a negative debate and would not be feeling 'bullied', which is a direct reflection of a portion of why the Millennial gen and the Xers have identifiable norms differing from other generations....no one has taught the general population the fine art of debate. Blunt answers tend to hurt feelings rather than generate blunt answers and questions back, as was the norm for my generation. Oh, my generation had a hell of a bunch of faults, yes, and we had our brilliant moments too, but don't we all?

There's no person or people to 'blame' for a generational trend, it's society in general as there are every level of incredible to crappy parents, teachers, and mentors in the population. I just made it as a member of the baby boomer generation that exploded after WW2. I had hair down to my shoulders for awhile, and I guarantee it wasn't either my parents desire nor to their distress that I did and there were both jocks and hippies in school in Wauconda. I didn't go the Viet Nam ( pure draft luck); I didn't protest the war, either. So was I a Flower Child when I looked like one? Got called a lazy hippy that year by the generation just ahead of me, and the parental generation just looked at me and shook their heads....unless I was laying sod or planting 100 trees in a couple days in one of the subdivisions popping up everywhere NW of Chicago because of my landscaping job. Then the hard hat and sweat said something different.

But for a year I looked the part. Then we moved back to New Mexico and I cut my hair, broke out the straw( that's a hat, it was Summer), jeans, and boots and got around on my horse because I didn't have a car. Carried a .38 snub nose pistol loaded with Norma reloads with me everywhere (my mother gave it to me) in case I had a chance to pop a rattle snake, that skin would keep me in papers and Bull Durham for a couple weeks. No one gave a darn. Kids had rifles in the rear window rack of the pick-up all the time. No one shot anyone, fighting was for fists and boots, not guns, and no one even thought of shooting up a place, too many folks would shoot back, and not miss, either. Didn't bring it to school, but no one would have checked me for it. Brass knuckles, and if one couldn't afford those, a roll of pennies, were a standard part of the 'stomper' (cowboy, but the real thing, not some urban makeover) gear in school, and that made for some messy lunchtime fights. Yes, fighters were sent home. No, they were not suspended, it was expected. That's how my generation in the desert SW avoided 'bullying', we learned to fight. Girls too. They liked bike chains around the waists, not silly hair pulling screeching and yelling. It wasn't IF someone was going to pick a fight with me, it was when. When it happened, I had better defend myself well or it would happen again soon, and often. No one ever asked me how I 'felt' and no one gave a hoot, either. Actions told the story.

SO if someone with a similar background to mine calls you a snowflake, maybe now you can see why. They are not right, nor are they wrong, they just grew up in a different world and still are a product of a society that claimed them and is still around in some parts of this country. Things that seem to strike fear into or horrify some folks today were part and parcel of daily life.

It's also in part the semi-realistic expectation of instant gratification brought on by digital communication. Want to buy something? Click. Ask a question and get the definitive answers? Click. Research some homework? Click. Communicate with your circle of friends? Scroll, click, scroll, type, click, immediate and gratifying....geeze. Pen and paper? Going the way of the Bison. Went to school and got a high powered degree? Expect a high powered job real quick after graduation. Hell, the schools sell those horribly expensive degrees promising it all, so why not...you owe $75K for the experience.

Bullying? Really? This discussion ain't anywhere near that.

I'm from the generation that was the sixties growing up, and have seen actual reality in many of the generational classifications, and this one definitely qualifies. Is that a bad thing? No, I don't think so. All of this is leading us somewhere, and if in general, we as a society decide the direction is not where we need to go...it will change.

Again.

Accept what/who you are, but learn about others, other societies, countries, areas right here in the good old North American continent and learn how to properly interact...they ain't like you. Put the phone down and look around more. Just a few more minutes a day. Pretty much goes for everyone these days. At least, that's what I say, and I'm sticking to it.....

Millennials fish. Some hunt. We need more of you in the sport, not less, but don't expect to join the old farts without some serious ribbing. It's gonna happen. hand it right back, look for the chinks in our armor and let us have it. We will respect you for it.
ToddM
Posted 1/13/2018 6:43 PM (#889690 - in reply to #889543)

Ruddiger and Steve, great posts. The last two generations have had alot more competition for their free time. The world is forever getting more complex and diverse. Same with things to do and do easily. You may not like it but you cannot stop it.
Sidejack
Posted 1/13/2018 7:26 PM (#889696 - in reply to #889690)

Did you mean, you can't stop it, you can only hope to contain it?
Oh, and when do the robots come to steal our medication?
RLSea
Posted 1/13/2018 8:43 PM (#889704 - in reply to #889543)

Intersting article about this phenomenon in AARP - yea, I know, but it IS interesting.
https://www.aarp.org/health/brain-health/info-2017/mental-focus-smar...
jonnysled
Posted 1/14/2018 6:59 AM (#889717 - in reply to #889543)

i blame millennials for the increase in Coyotes ... so i bought and AR and plan to be part of the solution instead of complaining about the problem. hopefully i can get my own millennials to get out there and shoot em up too ...

trapping and predator hunting are quickly becoming a thing of the past. time to get back out there and do my part ...
Junkman
Posted 1/14/2018 7:24 AM (#889718 - in reply to #889543)

Shocking to read Steve’s post and learn he is clearly a much older man than I had thought from looking at startlingly handsome photos of him. Now, I’m forced to wonder if he’s older than me, and this is the longest post I can finish without starting with a fresh diaper?
Brian Hoffies
Posted 1/14/2018 8:40 AM (#889719 - in reply to #889543)

Fishing is something you grow into or come back to. Seems when we are little dad or grand dad would take us fishing. Then girls, cars, jobs and life in general gets in the way. But once things settle down we start looking for something more relaxing, peaceful to do with our spare time.

Also kids need to be encouraged. I have known several kids who have sat around the campfire with adults. When talking about how the fishing went that day they are all ears. You can see a interest there. I'll strike up a conversation and then go into the trailer and come out with some baits. I'll offer them to the kids, answer questions on how and what to use them for. The next day you will see those same kids on the docks trying to catch something. At that point you can offer them a trip out in the boat. Offer to take dad if he wants to go. Kids are interested in lots of things, they just need to be encouraged and offered a opportunity. Instead of complaining about the kids maybe we should encourage them and help them. For what we spend on a single bait would could buy a complete rod and reel set-up and a handful of baits to get a kid started. I'll also urge anybody to strike up a conversation if you see a millennial looking at tackle or hanging around a bait shop. You might be surprised at the interest level.

Also instead of fighting like a bunch of little girls we might wanna offer up help or solutions to the topic.
happy hooker
Posted 1/14/2018 9:31 AM (#889722 - in reply to #889719)

Ironic!!!
The Millenials band plays mostly classic rock,,Led Zep,,Boston,etc,,maybe we could book them for a swap meet
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)