Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??

Message Subject: Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??
tolle141
Posted 1/26/2018 7:52 PM (#890645 - in reply to #889543)
Subject: Re: Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??

Wallygator hit on what a few other people have said.

Make the effort to introduce new people to the sport. Take someone new with you every year and pretty soon those participation trends will reverse.
Dan111
Posted 1/26/2018 8:16 PM (#890648 - in reply to #890645)

im fine with them not fishin just lets there be more fish for me !;)
Badgerpat1
Posted 1/27/2018 9:19 AM (#890675 - in reply to #889543)

Frankly, it’s a waste of time to bash millenials with needless stereotypes that don’t solve the problem. Do you people remember what the greatest generation would say about the boomers? We were labeled as lazy, drug using, rock and roll crazed kids. I think we turned out ok despite the labels. Generation Xr’s were labeled as selfish people who only cared about what was in it for them… and the list goes on.

Build a relationship with the young. Take time to take your grandkids out fishing and hunting. Let them take a friend along. I’m convinced that if they have the opportunity and someone takes the time to teach they will enjoy hunting and fishing as much as we do.

Please remember, many millenials are working their back ends off for wages that have not risen in a decade. They were raised in households where both parents worked and family free time was a precious commodity. The ones that go to school are facing huge tuition bills compared to my first semester at UW Madison of $500.00 dollars.

Build a relationship with the young. Take time to take your grandkids out fishing and hunting. Let them take a friend along. I’m convinced that if they have the opportunity and someone takes the time to teach they will enjoy hunting and fishing as much as we do.

Now...who’s fault is it that they don’t musky fish? Frankly, I blame myself. I spent too much time in the summer musky fishing and not enough time fishing for panfish and pike. Taking them on four hour musky runs with little or no action didn’t help. I’m going to do it different with my grandchildren.

I am happy that my millenial son enjoys hunting. We spend many saturday afternoons together at the sporting clays course getting ready for bird hunting, He also loved to go deer hunting every November because for many reasons he values venison over anytime of store purchased meat. He has now started to bring his wife along on our trips to the range. My daughter doesn’t hunt or fish...but she enjoys snowmobiling, Hey, I’ll take it!
Sidejack
Posted 1/27/2018 3:21 PM (#890693 - in reply to #889543)

Gotta agree with all of the, "introduce um young, take yer kids out, etc" stuff posted here.
It'd be a much gooder werld if folks waited until they were older to have kids.
More time and desire to teach
Most selfish pursuits have run their course
More stability at home and with yer relationship
You know yerself gooder
And the list goes on..
NEXT TOPIC!!

Edited by Sidejack 1/27/2018 3:22 PM
ToddM
Posted 1/28/2018 7:53 AM (#890721 - in reply to #889543)

Snap chatting in they're fake lumberjack beards sitting behind a desk. Probably never owned a red plaid flannel shirt let alone rolled up the sleeves. Millennials!:-)

Edited by ToddM 1/28/2018 9:10 AM
esoxaddict
Posted 1/28/2018 11:05 AM (#890737 - in reply to #890721)

ToddM - 1/28/2018 7:53 AM

Snap chatting in they're fake lumberjack beards sitting behind a desk. Probably never owned a red plaid flannel shirt let alone rolled up the sleeves. Millennials!:-)

I've been telling people for years that I'm secretly hip, and the rest of the world just hasn't caught up yet. What do you know, if you wear the same clothes long enough one day they'll be fashionable!

Edited by esoxaddict 1/28/2018 11:06 AM
Badgerpat1
Posted 1/29/2018 7:40 AM (#890772 - in reply to #889543)

Again, the premise of the post is "rejecting"...Just watched several of Todays Angler...love that show. One of the main participants is just a kid who probably could out fish 99% of us. He is funny, enthusiastic and a great person. The kid just can grind in the worst conditions. He would be welcome in my boat anytime.

Edited by Badgerpat1 1/29/2018 7:46 AM
Badgerpat1
Posted 1/29/2018 7:56 AM (#890773 - in reply to #889543)

In my considerable work experience...there have always been entitled, lazy people who their parents gave them everything. It's just our generation didn't get tagged with the label for all of us. Are their hardworking Mills? Heck, some of my best employees were Mills who I depended on for Tech. Frankly, I'm tired of the entire Mill bashing. Historic note...It's very common for those in one generation to bash the generation that comes after them. My prediction? They will turn out to be just fine like "we" did. Time to move on.

Edited by Badgerpat1 1/29/2018 7:58 AM
esoxaddict
Posted 1/29/2018 3:14 PM (#890804 - in reply to #889543)

Stereotypes stick because there is a lot of truth to them. No definition is universal, there are always exceptions, I get it. But a generation known for ear gauges, face tattoos, and eating god#*^@ Tide Pods must have more than a few bad apples.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 1/29/2018 4:02 PM (#890810 - in reply to #890804)

Which is why Crusty Old Man stuck over time... Different world you crusty old crusty dudes you.
talmooner
Posted 1/29/2018 4:30 PM (#890815 - in reply to #890772)

Badgerpat1 - 1/29/2018 7:40 AM

Again, the premise of the post is "rejecting"...Just watched several of Todays Angler...love that show. One of the main participants is just a kid who probably could out fish 99% of us. He is funny, enthusiastic and a great person. The kid just can grind in the worst conditions. He would be welcome in my boat anytime.

That would be Robbie Jamigo. Met him at Lee Lures booth at the Chicago Show. Great young guy and clearly a fishing addict. I too would love to have that young man in my boat. Might have to take a few days off to recover after that but it would be worth it.

And, perhaps all is not lost. There are now University level and High School level "Fishing Teams", in fact hundreds of them at the NCAA level and thousands for HS. Some, although not all, Universities now have scholarships for angling. Granted this is primarily targeted at Bass but it is still a tremendously positive thing.

http://www.highschoolfishing.org/

https://www.collegiatebasschampionship.com/

esoxaddict
Posted 1/29/2018 6:03 PM (#890819 - in reply to #889543)

Have to say, I'm pretty jealous. Screw football, If my high school had a fishing team, I'd have been all over that #*#*! Probably have better knees and shoulders today, too.
Badgerpat1
Posted 1/29/2018 9:24 PM (#890825 - in reply to #890804)

Stereotypes stick because there is a lot of truth to them. No definition is universal, there are always exceptions, I get it. But a generation known for ear gauges, face tattoos, and eating god#*^@ Tide Pods must have more than a few bad apples.

Stereotypes stick because people are too intellectually lazy to look beyond surface descriptions of groups of people who by nature are complex. By the way, none of my kids or their friends fit your stereotypical description. Also, the phrase used to justify stereotypes is a "grain" of truth...not a lot of truth.

Edited by Badgerpat1 1/29/2018 9:25 PM
BretRobert1
Posted 2/2/2018 3:49 PM (#891130 - in reply to #889543)

It's not too often that you get to see people complaining about the lack of people fishing these days... This is one of those rare occasions.

I only got through about 1/3 to 1/2 this thread, but here are a few thoughts: show me some publicized stats that indicate millennials aren't getting out fishing like older generations used to. Here's two I looked up quickly: # of licenses purchased over the last 10 years, and number of people who said they fished over the last 10 years. Granted, the population has increased during that time, but so have the numbers in each of those stats.

And who really cares about age range demographics anyways? I'm a millennial (I think) but I sure as hell couldn't tell you the exact age range that makes up the millennial population. Thinking about it, I have friends of all ages, and all ages that fish, and probably next to the last way I'd categorize those friends is by some made up generational age demographic. "Yeah, John Doe Jr is a great stick and sure catches a lot of fish, but did you know he's a Gen X'er and not a millennial???"

Sure, there are constant technological innovations that are drastically changing the way we gather/process information, and I'm betting for many of you, have greatly changed the standard processes at your workplace & at your place of residence. Most of it is for the better, and some of it might be debatable. But it's simple, really. It's called evolution. And the World is going to continue evolving.

One last thing to think about. How many of you Baby Boomers - especially those of you who are critical of today's youth, had parents that: checked the weather on their phone while they were fishing? Had $1500 GPS/sonar units on their boats so they'd never get lost? Had power poles for anchors? Had reels with power handles, 30 lbs of drag, and were spooled with 100 lb braided line? And one last one, how many had parents that browsed and posted on message boards about how "snowflakey" the modern youth is?...
ToddM
Posted 2/2/2018 3:58 PM (#891132 - in reply to #891130)

Are you saying millennials are not the only ones to dissapoint the generations before them? How dare you!!!!;-)
esoxaddict
Posted 2/2/2018 4:48 PM (#891135 - in reply to #891132)

My generation invented the mullet...
Sidejack
Posted 2/2/2018 5:17 PM (#891136 - in reply to #891135)

I vote the thread be frozen with esoxaddict's post above as the last.
Furthermore, i propose Todd add a mullet to his profile picture as testament to the above post and a hand carved image of a mullet (the chiefly marine fish widely caught for food) wearing a mullet hair style be forever enshrined on the MuskieFirst - General Discussion page in honor of esoxaddict's 7001st post, recognizing hereto and henceforth this historical contribution.

Edited by Sidejack 2/2/2018 5:19 PM
ToddM
Posted 2/2/2018 10:25 PM (#891155 - in reply to #891136)

I say we just good guy slap him with a grunion.

I never had a mullet.
Top H2O
Posted 2/2/2018 11:23 PM (#891159 - in reply to #891135)

esoxaddict - 2/2/2018 4:48 PM

My generation invented the mullet...

Just turned 62... and my Mullet is in it's 8th month.... COOL.
Chicks dig it.

Edited by Top H2O 2/2/2018 11:24 PM
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)