Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??

Message Subject: Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??
BrianF.
Posted 1/12/2018 9:00 AM (#889543)
Subject: Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??

And, perhaps more importantly, can anything be done to bring them back to what once was a popular national pastime??

The Star Tribune article today by Dennis Andersen leaves me wondering.

Brian 

Pal
Posted 1/12/2018 9:13 AM (#889545 - in reply to #889543)
Subject: RE: Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??

It requires them to put their cell phone down and look where they are going / fishing ..... which based on my experience of " new workers" at my company is an extremely, or very rare occurrence to say the least

I have seen people walk into elevator doors and walls when they try to take a corner without looking up

Pal

musky513
Posted 1/12/2018 9:15 AM (#889546 - in reply to #889545)

They won't get a participation ribbon or medal just for showing up...
Flambeauski
Posted 1/12/2018 9:30 AM (#889548 - in reply to #889546)

musky513 - 1/12/2018 9:15 AM

That makes pretty much no sense.

The reason Millennials don't fish as much has more to do with the population moving from rural to urban. Less opportunity.
4amuskie
Posted 1/12/2018 9:31 AM (#889549 - in reply to #889543)
Subject: Re: Why Have Millenials Rejected Hunting and Fishing??

I have no idea who came up with this notion but one only has to go out on the bay of Green Bay during September or any lake frozen over in January to say this is BS
Sudszee
Posted 1/12/2018 9:53 AM (#889550 - in reply to #889549)

Who would be there to give them a fish? They won't work for one.
bllhogg
Posted 1/12/2018 9:57 AM (#889551 - in reply to #889543)

being on the water, ice, and in the woods a lot, i can tell you that about 2/3 of the others i see out there are millenials
dbach17
Posted 1/12/2018 9:58 AM (#889552 - in reply to #889543)

Disclaimer: I am a "millennial"

Part of the issue is reflected in the comments above. There seems to be this really visceral reaction by older generations to millennials, with common epithets thrown at them like "lazy." I'll tell you right now, that's not helping in any way. Let's be honest, millennials aren't the only ones using technology at higher rates then ever before. How many people here take their grandchildren or nieces and nephews fishing with them? From my experience, this happens less then it used to. My grandfather, a WWII vet, is the primary reason I like to fish now. Kids are not always very patient, so it takes a special relationship to get them to participate in an activity that requires it. I'm grateful he did this for me, because it helped me become a more patient person in general. The concern I have is that too many hunters and anglers have gotten away from the sacrifice it takes to bring a child with. I have a 15 month old son, and I know that when he's old enough to fish, I have to give up my own fishing time to help him and really allow him to enjoy it. That will be a tough sacrifice to make, but I think it's worth it, and I can only hope that others here do too and will follow suit with both their own children and other extended family. My grandfather and uncles did it for me, so it's my turn now.

Another piece of the puzzle, at least for me, is how much work has encroached on our personal time. It's hard to put your cell phone down when you might get an important email you need to respond to at any moment. In my previous job, I always had to have my phone on me in case I had to respond to an "emergency." For instance, when my family goes up to Lake Vermilion, my wife still complains about the slow internet speeds. She says "what if I need to do something?" That impacts all generations, but particularly millennials now, as they are often in the early stages of their careers and feel the need to be constantly available. This goes hand in hand with vacation time as well. People get and take less of it, and when they get it, do they want to fish or hunt? I personally do, but that's because I find peace in doing it because it's where I feel a connection to wonderful childhood memories, and I enjoy the challenge.

Cost has an impact too. The last couple of weeks I've been trying to book a cabin on the Manitowish Chain in Wisconsin, and it is less than fun. It's hard to find places priced in the $1000 - $2000 a week, which for some makes these trips really cost ineffective. Think about it this way. You can stay in a really nice condo or resort in many tropical locations for $300 or less a night. Being a little more competitive in the northern states with resort pricing could help some. Over the long term, the idea would be that more families could access a vacation like that, and thus have the opportunity to experience the outdoors.

Finally, like the article first referenced in this thread says, you need to meet millennials where they are. For example, I really like catch and release fishing for all species, and that's OK. Just like it's OK to keep a limit if you want to eat fish. My hope is that we can tone down the "snowflake" garbage. While helping set up at the local fishing flea market last year, I heard a gentleman make more than a few derogatory comments about younger people, specifically using the term "snowflake." Want to know what happens when you do this? People completely disengage from you. Why would anyone want to talk or learn from someone who refuses to take a genuine interest in them or show them empathy or understanding? And that goes both ways, old to young, young to old.

In essence, what I hope we can start to do is show younger people both the purpose of these activities, along with the ancillary benefits they bring. When I take my son fishing some day, I'm going to tell him stories about when I was younger, like how I threw my pole in the water on a cast and his great grandfather found the lure and we pulled in all of the line on the spool to retrieve it. I'll tell him what kind of fish we're catching and we'll briefly admire how cool they are before putting them back. I'll point out the eagles we see, their nests and how big they are, loons and the silly noises they make. For those that hunt or fish for food, tell kids about why it's important to take only what you need and respect nature for allowing it to work. When someone else catches a fish, smile and be genuinely happy for them. Let people make connections with these activities, find happiness and peace, and they will continue on. Fishing and hunting should be about more than just fishing and hunting, and I think we can do them a great service by helping younger people experience them that way.
MOJOcandy101
Posted 1/12/2018 9:59 AM (#889553 - in reply to #889549)

4amuskie - 1/12/2018 9:31 AM

I have no idea who came up with this notion but one only has to go out on the bay of Green Bay during September or any lake frozen over in January to say this is BS

Ice fishing is a good excuse to go out and drink without much effort. Drill a few holes and sit around and drink/play on your phone...
musky-skunk
Posted 1/12/2018 10:00 AM (#889554 - in reply to #889543)

THEY LOVE IT IF SOMEONE (ANYONE) TAKES THE TIME TO INTRODUCE THEM TO IT.

I've taken several kids fishing and a few hunting and you'd be surprised how many punk kids who play video games all day fall in love with the outdoors. One of my top fishing partners now is a kid who skate boarded and played call of duty all day. I was hesitant to take him and shocked how obsessed he has become. We have since climbed 4 mountains, he has a 51" PB and we are planning an elk hunt and bear hunt out west. I know several other kids who would love to try it but I don't have the time for all of them myself. I also just had a pheasant dinner the other day with a gal who was a vegetarian for years. When I showed her my love of nature and the respect I have for the animals I kill she was able to reconcile it with her morality. She now will eat meat but only if it is wild game or sea food... BOOM! Problem is parents aren't into it and hunting and fishing is SUPER difficult to get into without a mentor or someone to show you (grandparent, parent, friend). Also lets be honest. Most people don't want to exert the energy to take someone or have the added competion out there.

So long story short don't hate on kids. I currently am mentoring a group of city dwelling 7th graders and they mostly have crappy home lives and no one willing to show them how awesome the outdoors are. I asked if they wanted to go camping this spring and hiking in the bluffs along the river and they literally all very excitedly shouted YES! THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME! I would guess most kids would dig it if someone took the time to introduce them.
followking
Posted 1/12/2018 10:08 AM (#889556 - in reply to #889543)

I think it's just lack of information. When I'm confronted by a animal rights type I remain calm and explain about how hunting and fishing can help maintain balanced populations of game. You obviously wont convince everyone but I think a fair amount of people I've talked to on the subject have softened their stance on it a bit. I had a woman flip out on me when showing some people a picture of my PB fish last year. "How do you think if feels to have hooks in your mouth?" she yelled. I calmly replied that I'm very careful handling a fish and do everything I can to release it unharmed. I also told her about how I support organizations like Muskies Inc. and what they do. She actually apologized and admitted she just didn't know. These interactions are all chances to help our cause.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/12/2018 10:08 AM (#889557 - in reply to #889554)

I hate that I am technically a millennial
MuskyMATT7
Posted 1/12/2018 10:14 AM (#889558 - in reply to #889548)

Flambeauski - 1/12/2018 9:30 AM

musky513 - 1/12/2018 9:15 AM

That makes pretty much no sense.

The reason Millennials don't fish as much has more to do with the population moving from rural to urban. Less opportunity.

When researched, I would bet this is the true reason based on data. As an outdoorsman and millennial, who has lived in suburban, rural, and urban areas, your observation is what I have observed. 30K+ in college loans also doesn’t make getting into fishing or hunting any easier.

As a company (Llungen Lures) we do everything we can to help out the younger generations. We sponsor high school and college teams and tournaments all over the Midwest and south. We have a discount for these participants as well through their clubs or teams. We do kid’s events at numerous musky shows as well-volunteering significant resources to each one. My wife spent 10 hours painting a photo booth for this year’s musky shows and it was on display at Chicago. We love bringing young people into the booth at shows and try our best to bring the younger generation into the outdoors. Actions speak much louder than words.

Edited by MuskyMATT7 1/12/2018 10:20 AM
Dirt Esox
Posted 1/12/2018 10:36 AM (#889559 - in reply to #889558)

There's a big difference between "lazy" and "entitled". A good portion of millennials I know fall into the latter category. Most stereotypes are based in at least some amount of truth...
dbach17
Posted 1/12/2018 10:39 AM (#889560 - in reply to #889559)

Dirt Esox - 1/12/2018 10:36 AM

There's a big difference between "lazy" and "entitled". A good portion of millennials I know fall into the latter category. Most stereotypes are based in at least some amount of truth...

I have yet to meet any human being who did not feel "entitled" to something. You know, like "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
Dirt Esox
Posted 1/12/2018 11:00 AM (#889561 - in reply to #889560)

dbach17 - 1/12/2018 10:39 AM
Dirt Esox - 1/12/2018 10:36 AM There's a big difference between "lazy" and "entitled". A good portion of millennials I know fall into the latter category. Most stereotypes are based in at least some amount of truth...
I have yet to meet any human being who did not feel "entitled" to something. You know, like "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

How very millennial of you to make an argument like that.  Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness(derived from our founding fathers Judeo-Christian belief system that the aforementioned are God given)are entirely different than unearned trophy and smothering parent given rights to a 250K salary, the managers job, and 8 weeks of vacation immediately upon graduating college.

Edited by Dirt Esox 1/12/2018 11:02 AM
14ledo81
Posted 1/12/2018 11:30 AM (#889564 - in reply to #889543)

If we have such a problem with the millenials, maybe we should look at who raised them?

I do think there is some truth to the millennials being "given" a lot, but all generations have tried to do better for their children. I think the generation that raised the millennials is the first one that actually had the ability to give them quite a bit more. Most of the time thinking it would be good, when in actuality, it probably was not the right thing to do.

Pointerpride102
Posted 1/12/2018 11:48 AM (#889568 - in reply to #889561)

Dirt Esox - 1/12/2018 11:00 AM

Dirt Esox - 1/12/2018 10:36 AM There's a big difference between "lazy" and "entitled". A good portion of millennials I know fall into the latter category. Most stereotypes are based in at least some amount of truth...

How very millennial of you to make an argument like that.  Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness(derived from our founding fathers Judeo-Christian belief system that the aforementioned are God given)are entirely different than unearned trophy and smothering parent given rights to a 250K salary, the managers job, and 8 weeks of vacation immediately upon graduating college.

I can see tons of millennials lining up to fish/hunt with this guy. Sounds like loads of fun!
MuskyMatt71
Posted 1/12/2018 12:00 PM (#889569 - in reply to #889543)

If Millennials are defined as 20 - 36 years old, looks like this poll puts them ~1/3 of the muskie fishing population.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11...
Reelwise
Posted 1/12/2018 12:07 PM (#889570 - in reply to #889569)

A lot of smaller streams that once held large populations of fish now hold zero to few. Restoring small streams and managing local ponds can go a long way. Places where kids can venture off and fish on their own is just as important, if not more important than somebody taking them.

I understand that it is important to have dream fishing get-a-ways and managing those bodies of water is important... but, there are a lot of places close to where people actually live that need attention in order for people to have a regular fishing spot versus a vacation spot they visit once a year.

I believe fishing interest is at an all-time high... just don't think people get out as much as they used to. Money, time, and real-world responsibilities all factor in this. Like Gunk said... thousands of dollars in student loans can take some free-time away.

Edited by Reelwise 1/12/2018 12:10 PM
raftman
Posted 1/12/2018 12:12 PM (#889572 - in reply to #889543)

I love that the generation that complains about millennial is the generation that raised it. What did u guys do wrong?
14ledo81
Posted 1/12/2018 12:50 PM (#889578 - in reply to #889568)

Pointerpride102 - 1/12/2018 11:48 AM

I can see tons of millennials lining up to fish/hunt with this guy. Sounds like loads of fun!

Which one Pointer? The one you agree with? Or the one you don't?
Duke
Posted 1/12/2018 12:53 PM (#889579 - in reply to #889543)

There’s a good chance some people, even those who are interested enough to read this topic and of an older generation, did not read all of dbach17’s essay because of its length. And that is a terrible shame. Millenial’s may have a reputation for short attention spans, but they didn’t invent it.

What dbach17 wrote should be published, and everyone should read it. Well done
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/12/2018 1:14 PM (#889580 - in reply to #889578)

14ledo81 - 1/12/2018 12:50 PM

Are you being intentionally obtuse?
Pepper
Posted 1/12/2018 1:21 PM (#889582 - in reply to #889543)

I'm not sure that being in a age group labeled x,y, z or millennial has anything to do with it. Having two daughters in the 35 to 45 year old range one like to fish and one couldn't care less. 3 grandkids two boys 1 girl ages 10 to 17 the boys don't care a thing about fishing although one likes camping and being outdoors. My granddaughter on the other hand loves to fish. So I guess I'm in the camp of the kids need to be exposed to fishing 1st and it helps if they have some success early on even if it is catching tiny perch off the dock
14ledo81
Posted 1/12/2018 1:54 PM (#889588 - in reply to #889580)

Pointerpride102 - 1/12/2018 1:14 PM

Not anymore than you were.....
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/12/2018 2:03 PM (#889591 - in reply to #889588)

14ledo81 - 1/12/2018 1:54 PM

Not anymore than you were..... ;)

What was obtuse about my statement? It's pretty clear who I quoted....

As a millennial, why would someone want to fish with someone that believes we're all entitled brats who haven't earned anything on our own?
14ledo81
Posted 1/12/2018 2:14 PM (#889595 - in reply to #889591)

Pointerpride102 - 1/12/2018 2:03 PM

As a millennial, why would someone want to fish with someone that believes we're all entitled brats who haven't earned anything on our own?

What was obtuse about it? You disagreed with his viewpoint, and said he must be "loads of fun" to fish with. You don't even know the man.

He didn't say all, and he didn't use the word brats. I am a millennial myself, and I didn't get to worked up by his comment. Maybe some of those millennials that get all sore about it realize it has a bit of truth to it?

Based off of what I have read here, I would have no issue fishing with him.

Edited by 14ledo81 1/12/2018 2:17 PM
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/12/2018 2:18 PM (#889596 - in reply to #889595)

14ledo81 - 1/12/2018 2:14 PM

What was obtuse about it? You disagreed with his viewpoint, and said he must be "loads of fun" to fish with. You don't even know the man.

He didn't say all, and he didn't use the word brats. I am a millennial myself, and I didn't get to worked up by his comment. Maybe some of those millennials that get all sore about it realize it has a bit of truth to it?

So I shouldn't put a label on him like he has to millenials?

14ledo81
Posted 1/12/2018 2:27 PM (#889598 - in reply to #889596)

Pointerpride102 - 1/12/2018 2:18 PM

14ledo81 - 1/12/2018 2:14 PM

So I shouldn't put a label on him like he has to millenials?

He made a general statement about an entire generation (and it wasn't all inclusive, he used the words "good portion"). You came back with a personal jab. I see a difference. Maybe you don't. Maybe because you took it personally?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)