Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Heads or Tails....?

Message Subject: Heads or Tails....?
BigC
Posted 12/4/2017 1:03 PM (#885875)
Subject: Heads or Tails....?

Noticed this fall that most if not all of the fish that we've caught trolling were nailing the bait from the front. It's made for some great battles with little fish, to some questionable battles with medium fish (how big is it? I don't know!) and even an almost no battle from a 49" fish that had a hook in the top and bottom of her mouth along with the lip of the lure down her throat.

Having not done this long enough I was wondering what could be the cause. Is this a seasonal thing? A feeding frenzy ie. super agro muskies putting on the fall feedbag, or just a weird pattern for this year that is sure to change?

What if anything could you or would you attribute this too?
Any lure or change in tactics you'd make if you know they're smashing them head on?

Still a couple days left up here and the plan is to get out a couple more times, with the temps above zero still I keep telling my wife that we have to keep going we haven't suffered nearly enough yet to quit for the year.

Thanks
MACK
Posted 12/4/2017 1:15 PM (#885877 - in reply to #885875)
Subject: Re: Heads or Tails....?

Your question falls into what I call the "Eaters vs Biters" category.

The fish hitting the head of the bait, I would call "Eaters." They're active and aggressive feeding fish. Going for the kill shot, which is what they do in their normal daily lives, when they're actively feeding.

The "Biters" are those that are in a neutral/non-aggressive feeding mode that tend to nip at the tail end of the bait and might become unlucky, getting themselves hooked up by that tail hook on the bait, such as on a multiple-hook crank bait.

It all is simply attributed to the mood of the fish...at that given time...as to how well they are hooked.

There's been times, during those major Solunar events where I've had the mag-dawgs and mag-dussas absolutely inhaled by upper 40 inch fish, that the entire bait is engulfed...to the point where some serious hook-cutting surgery was needed to get the bait and hooks out of the fish's mouth. Those...are incredibly active and aggressive fish to take down a bait like that to the point where the rubber tails of the bait aren't even seen during the fighting process of the fish, until the fish is in the net and you're using the jaw spreaders to get that mouth open to get to the bait.

Edited by MACK 12/4/2017 1:16 PM
Sidejack
Posted 12/4/2017 10:18 PM (#885929 - in reply to #885875)

Could also be packs of um competing and they're not into sharing.
ToddM
Posted 12/5/2017 7:05 AM (#885937 - in reply to #885875)

We caught 7 fish last weekend all of them ate the bait from behind and hooked on the rear hook. I think it is the mood of the fish at the time and the conditions. Next year you might find it different.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)