Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> New regulations on LSC

Message Subject: New regulations on LSC
tackleaddict
Posted 12/4/2017 12:42 PM (#885868)
Subject: New regulations on LSC

The DNR has done away with the harvest tag system, added "mandatory reporting of harvest within 24hrs (lol), and added year long C&R. Spearing clubs pushed hard for an open season but got denied again.
tackleaddict
Posted 12/4/2017 12:44 PM (#885870 - in reply to #885868)
Subject: RE: New regulations on LSC

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/FO215.18_Statewide_Bass_Walle...

whoops I forgot the link
tackleaddict
Posted 12/5/2017 12:15 PM (#885990 - in reply to #885868)
Subject: Re: New regulations on LSC

I really thought there would be some opinions on this. No more opening day & now C&R during the spawn on one of the best musky lakes in the world. Ill say from all my biteoffs and incidental hookups walleye fishing in May there are going to be a tremendous amount of muskies caught in the spring. Anybody going to be coming over early? Anybody disappointed with the change or think it will hurt the fishery?

I liked the harvest tag system more than this 24hr reporting honesty system, I think more fish will get kept. I am pumped to fish for them earlier though, especially on the weekends when the DR and SCR are swamped with walleye guys.

Edited by tackleaddict 12/5/2017 12:19 PM
Landry
Posted 12/5/2017 12:22 PM (#885993 - in reply to #885868)

This has been discussed in detail on Facebook. Guys are pretty passionate about
Not fishing before June on average.
jasonvkop
Posted 12/6/2017 10:32 AM (#886110 - in reply to #885990)

tackleaddict - 12/5/2017 1:15 PM
I liked the harvest tag system more than this 24hr reporting honesty system, I think more fish will get kept. I am pumped to fish for them earlier though, especially on the weekends when the DR and SCR are swamped with walleye guys.

The harvest limit is still 1 fish/year so the number of fish taken shouldn't be any different. If people are looking to keep more than 1 fish/year, I assume they would have done that in years past anyway as poachers don't care about the law or if there is a tag or not. The tag wasn't a mandatory report so the DNR spent a lot of money on tags with very little response. With the new mandatory reporting system, the DNR can now see pictures online (facebook, etc) and know whether or not that fish was reported. If it wasn't reported, they can take action.

Also, the new regulations aren't just on LSC. They are for the entire state and should be greatly beneficial for every muskie lake in Michigan. There is now a state-wide harvest season starting the first Saturday in June. In years past there were many waters where the harvest season opened while fish were still spawning and easily accessible to harvesters. The new, later opener protects these fish from legal harvest while they are spawning. There are also new size limits on lakes and most of them are higher than last year which should protect fish and give them more years to spawn before being harvested.
detroithardcore
Posted 12/6/2017 11:58 AM (#886120 - in reply to #885868)

I'm simply happy cause nearly every LSC guide who has brought flocks and flocks of fisherman to LSC vowed not to fish before June. It'll be refreshing to fish LSC again like it used to be and have a shot at the heaviest fish of the year without them fishing, and the crowd of boats that follow them. Bring on April/May 2018! This is a good thing for Michigan Muskies statewide! I've been torn on the LSC factor but it is what it is and happy to be out chasing fish in April/May this upcoming year when not chasing Tarpon on Fly.
mastical
Posted 12/6/2017 2:14 PM (#886141 - in reply to #886120)

I love waiting for the first Saturday in June and i also hate waiting. At the moment i plan on waiting till June but we'll see how that goes goes.

Glaucus_
Posted 12/7/2017 10:16 AM (#886259 - in reply to #886120)

I'm simply happy cause nearly every LSC guide who has brought flocks and flocks of fisherman to LSC vowed not to fish before June.

Don't hold your breath.
detroithardcore
Posted 12/7/2017 11:30 AM (#886280 - in reply to #886259)

I know! One can hope and wish!
4amuskie
Posted 12/7/2017 12:14 PM (#886290 - in reply to #886259)

Glaucus_ - 12/7/2017 10:16 AM

I'm simply happy cause nearly every LSC guide who has brought flocks and flocks of fisherman to LSC vowed not to fish before June.

Don't hold your breath.

lol
Junkman
Posted 12/7/2017 2:09 PM (#886297 - in reply to #885868)

A lot of promising gets done before it costs you money to keep them! Or votes...just ask the guys who didn’t like Roy Moore two weeks ago, and like him just fine now. The innovative reasons you’ll hear for early guide trips should prove just as entertaining. And besides, everyone knows a politician trying to tell lies is only a beginner next to any serious musky angler. Only difference is with a musky angler, he’s only stinking and full of slime on the good days.
Landry
Posted 12/7/2017 5:06 PM (#886319 - in reply to #885868)

To be honest, I'm not sure that an early open season will affect musky populations seeing as they broadcast their eggs and don't feed apparently while spawning.
Having said that - why risk it or mess with a thriving fishery?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)