Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> I pilot VS Xi5 Which is better??

Reply New post
Message Subject: I pilot VS Xi5 Which is better??
JimbobD
Posted 11/17/2017 3:18 PM (#884579)
Subject: I pilot VS Xi5 Which is better??

Which is better the Xi5 motorguide or the i pilot from minn kota?? and why? what are the advantages and disadvantages of either?? There has to be someone on here who has had both that could chime in

I have an 80lb Terrova. Bought it used this spring for $600. its my first i pilot motor and i love it. Its changed how i am able to fish. But i have noticed that the auto pilot messes up quite a bit, and the spot lock doesnt seem to be very accurate. Another thing that bugs me is that when im using spot lock, the motor seems to go full power to get back on the spot, which just about throws me out of th boat lol . Manufacture date 2014 for i think this must be the older i pilot technology?? ive heard the newer terrovas have the newer gps technology and are more accurate?? is this true?

Ive heard alot of people Say the xi5 has better technology that the minn kotas? but what specifically, im not sure? Im getting a new boat in the spring and im trying to decide it i should keep my old terrova or spring for an Xi5 instead? any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
wavridr
Posted 11/17/2017 6:45 PM (#884590 - in reply to #884579)
Subject: RE: I pilot VS Xi5 Which is better??

The 2017 and newer Minn Kotas are way better as far as the spot lock. I had a 2014 Terrova and the spot lock left a lot to be desired. The new ultera has a second gps puck that talks to the motor via Bluetooth and keeps the circle of error to a minimum.

Can't speak to the motor guide.
Mojo1269
Posted 11/18/2017 8:20 AM (#884610 - in reply to #884590)
Subject: Re: I pilot VS Xi5 Which is better??

I have used both and the one thing that drove me back to a Terrova when I upgraded my trolling motor on my Ranger this spring was the the Xi5 did not have an auto pilot functionality on the pedal, only on the remote. This may have changed in 2017, but the model I used in 2016 (in a friends boat) boat did not have it and it drove me nuts. The new Terrova is on par with the Xi5 in terms of spot lock. MinnKota did a nice job upgrading it. The wireless blue tooth pedal on the Xi5 is awesome though and I wish the Terrova had it..

Edited by Mojo1269 11/18/2017 8:21 AM
muskyhunter47
Posted 11/18/2017 9:35 AM (#884615 - in reply to #884610)

I have a 2013 minkota. I fished with brother n law who has the motor guide. Next spring I'll be up grading to a new minkota with atomic stow and deploy
NickD
Posted 11/18/2017 9:54 AM (#884618 - in reply to #884615)

Had a terrova for 4 seasons and now an xi5 for 3. Both are great and I would recommend either brand. Durability was a concern for me with the MG but hasn't been an issue.

The spot lock is way better on the mg than the older mk but it sounds like that has been addressed. The turning speed is 2-3 times faster on the mg compared to my mk. Also more quiet which were my main reasons for trying the mg. Not a fan of either pedal. You will need to upgrade the springs in the mg pedal when they break. The MG has a 2 stage deployment. I never had my terrova deploy on plane but worry even less with the mg.

Gotta decide which differences are most important to you. I just wish someone who actually fishes could design a pedal for both companies.
mtcook16
Posted 11/22/2017 11:27 AM (#884887 - in reply to #884590)
Subject: RE: I pilot VS Xi5 Which is better??

wavridr - 11/17/2017 6:45 PM

The 2017 and newer Minn Kotas are way better as far as the spot lock. I had a 2014 Terrova and the spot lock left a lot to be desired. The new ultera has a second gps puck that talks to the motor via Bluetooth and keeps the circle of error to a minimum.

Can't speak to the motor guide.

The 2017 and newer i-Pilot and i-pilot Link motors include a heading sensor puck that enables the motor to know its compass bearing and provides the feature "Spot Lock Jog."
When you Spot Lock, you can move your anchor position in 5' increments, forward, back, left or right with each button push of the directional keys on the remote.

The accuracy of the Spot Lock, or tight hold, is due to new hardware and software in the head of the motor, not the heading sensor puck.

Hope that info and this video help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5uYIiTElVg

Edited by mtcook16 11/22/2017 11:28 AM
Pointerpride102
Posted 11/22/2017 12:55 PM (#884892 - in reply to #884887)

Love my xi5
Fishysam
Posted 11/27/2017 10:06 AM (#885204 - in reply to #884579)

The blue tooth technology in the new ipilot dominates, as far as auto pilot messing up, that is cause by using the advanced auto pilot and not pulling the boat hard enough. The solution for you is to push and hold auto pilot till the circle disappears from the N^ symbol that will let you power drift without going bonkers... pretty much points the motor at a magnetic direction and that is that

The standard setting for auto pilot is the new "advanced auto pilot" this virtually drops a line from current position around the world and as you slowly drift off that line say 20' it will litterally steer straight to the line to get you back on course. If that makes sense.

Now with ipilot link you can go into the sonar, then into ipilot, and set it to legacy. Then it is always set on legacy...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)