Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> try trophy pike on the fly

Message Subject: try trophy pike on the fly
pikeflyguy
Posted 11/16/2017 4:26 PM (#884525)
Subject: try trophy pike on the fly

Hi to toothy critter fishermen,

How about considering big pike - REALLY big pike - on the fly. I've been invited to do a "Fly-fishing Week" with Reindeer Lake Lodge on, aptly, Reindeer Lake, Saskatchewan. It's the same lodge, under different management, that I fished three times back in the late 90's, and where I caught my first two IGFA record pike, 26 & 27 lbs. just two days apart.

I loved Reindeer, but like many, the grass always seemed maybe a bit greener somewhere else. Most of those other places, however, were disappointments. I rarely had a week trip at Reindeer where I didn't catch 300 fish on flies, with probably 1/3 of them exceeding 12#, and always some in the 20's. 40" - 45" are common, and I had one fish that probably weighed 40# follow my fly to the boat. They catch 50+ inch pike at this lodge every year.

So, I'm excited to be going back. The dates are July 16 - 24 - eight days of fishing. I will be hosting the week for any interested fly-fishermen - beginners and experts welcome - and supplying everyone who comes with a signed copy of my book, Toothy Critters Love Flies, 6 of my deadly pike flies, and a spool of knot-able leader wire - a $100 value. For those interested in variety, they also have walleye, Arctic grayling and great lake trout fishing. No musky though.

The lodge provides a charter plane from Saskatoon right to the lodge, where they have their own landing strip. You can view their web site at: https://reindeerlakelodge.ca. If you click on "fly-fishing" you'll see a bunch of photos of me there. You'll overnight in Saskatoon on July 15, and they provide the early AM transfer to the airport on the 16th, and you should be able to catch flights home on the afternoon of the 24th.

Feel free to contact me - [email protected] - with questions or to sign up. Space is limited.

Tight lines and big fish ??

George A Bernstein
http://pikeflyguy.com
Brian Hoffies
Posted 11/16/2017 8:39 PM (#884543 - in reply to #884525)
Subject: Re: try trophy pike on the fly

I'm not a fly guy but sure would welcome a report and photos from the trip.
krazyk
Posted 11/16/2017 9:01 PM (#884547 - in reply to #884525)

Its been about 10 years since I fished Reindeer..I was just wondering if the "nation" still harvests their 250,000 pound quota every year ? Also is this lodge the old Lindbergh camp that I believe Gangler's ran for a while?
J_mich
Posted 11/21/2017 11:51 AM (#884822 - in reply to #884525)

Sounds like a guy looking to put a group together for a little price break of his own. Wouldn't fish any of those Manitoba or Saskatchewan lakes in the middle of July. The reason Ganglers left is the fishing just isn't that great.

If you fly fish and you want real action then go to Midnight Sun in Alaska on the Yukon River, or Lac La Martre in Northwest Territories or Taltson Bay Big Pike Lodge on Great Slave Lake in the NWT. (taltsonbay.com)
NPike
Posted 11/21/2017 5:17 PM (#884843 - in reply to #884822)

Lot cheaper. Plenty of supertanker pike at Kesagami (even in July) in northern Ontario. There's a lodge for those w money and cabin (no frill's if looking to save).
Copper Thunder
Posted 11/22/2017 10:44 AM (#884883 - in reply to #884843)

I agree about Midnight Sun. I've been there several times, often for two weeks, and the fishing is so good most of you probably wouldn't believe it if I told you what we caught. The northern Manitoba and Saskatchewan waters are inconsistent. It all depends upon ice out. If you go in mid-July and the ice has just gone out, you can have fishing as good as the Yukon, though with generally slightly smaller fish. If the ice has been out for quite awhile you will not catch much, especially in shallow water.
talmooner
Posted 11/22/2017 11:06 AM (#884885 - in reply to #884883)

Copper Thunder
Midnight Sun is on my bucket list for big pike places. My current favorite is Lac la Martre (Northwest Territories) where we have done quite well every time we have been there, including my PB two years ago. We have been fortunate to book the first week most of the time which certainly has meant better odds for big fish. One nice thing about Lac la Martre is that they have some darn big lakers that can be had casting relatively shallow as well.

Can you share any advice on Midnight Sun relative to best time of season,and so forth. My partner and I are not fly guys so it is all standard bait casting gear for us.

Thank you
Talmooner
Copper Thunder
Posted 11/22/2017 11:42 AM (#884889 - in reply to #884885)

talmooner - 11/22/2017 11:06 AM

Can you share any advice on Midnight Sun relative to best time of season,and so forth. My partner and I are not fly guys so it is all standard bait casting gear for us.

Thank you
Talmooner

Midnight Sun markets mostly to flyfishers, but has no problems at all with gear fishers. I did quite a bit of each when I was there as I had fewer physical issues when I switched back and forth. The one time the fish were deeper there I spent more time with gear. Of course, deep here means maybe 8-12'. That's a little deep for effective fishing with a fly, but it certainly can be done. I just found it a good time to concentrate on gear fishing. I've been there in July and in September. I liked the weather better in July, but the fishing was better in September. The last three times I went I did the final two weeks of the season with them, which meant up to about September 20th or so. Big fish are more numerous in September. Beware that the weather can be pretty nasty in September, even for someone used to musky fishing. Maybe the coldest I've ever been in my life was on a 1 hour boatride back from Gator Lake. I must have spent thirty minutes in a hot shower just to try and get warm again. You do know that it rains a lot in Alaska. By the way, instead of lakers, MSTPA has sheefish. Often called the poor man's tarpon they can be a blast.

Edited by Copper Thunder 11/22/2017 11:44 AM
Copper Thunder
Posted 11/22/2017 12:02 PM (#884890 - in reply to #884889)

I've just checked the MSTPA website. They are fully booked for next year EXCEPT for the last two weeks of the season. If you're thinking of doing it soon, get on their website and get booked.
talmooner
Posted 11/24/2017 9:58 AM (#885003 - in reply to #884889)

Copper Thunder.

Thanks for all the great info. Probably won't happen in 2018 for me as we already have tow trips booked for next summer but 2019 could happen.

Talmooner
krazyk
Posted 11/25/2017 12:10 PM (#885058 - in reply to #884525)

I've heard rumors that they plan on building a road around Lac la Martre to facilitate the mining going on in the area anyone know anything about this ?
krazyk
Posted 11/25/2017 4:07 PM (#885064 - in reply to #884525)

Hey Copper Thunder I'm just wondering why you need to take an hour boat ride to get on the fish ? and is that typical ??
Copper Thunder
Posted 11/26/2017 11:00 AM (#885134 - in reply to #885064)

No, but Gator Lake is known for particularly large fish, so we usually make the trek once during the week. My best days have often happened within site of the motherboat or just around the corner. There are also a couple of other big fish locations that are an even longer ride. Doing so is strictly up to you. The guides don't force anything upon you. If you don't want to go that far, you'll catch plenty of fish close in.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)