Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Help!!! Outboard issues

Reply New post
Message Subject: Help!!! Outboard issues
derekrusty
Posted 11/8/2017 8:54 PM (#883800)
Subject: Help!!! Outboard issues

Hello, quick troubleshooting question. I took my boat out today for one last fishing trip. I have a 40 horse power Mercury magnum 2 stroke, 1995. It took a little bit longer to start up today but I just assumed that was because it was really cold. The motor ran like it normally does for about 2 minutes and then it started to sound a little different. Over the course of the next 45 seconds it began to run rougher and rougher until it finally turned off. I had the boat out about 2 weeks ago and had no issues. So it hasn't been sitting for long. It has the same non oxygenated gas that I have always used and I didn't add any today. I know that I have enough gas and I know that my battery is good. At this point I can barely even get the motor to make a sound when I turn the key. Just a little jerk and clunk. I don't know if this means the motor is locked up or not. I have noticed a little bit of oil leaking over the last few months but not a whole lot. The motor has an oil injector and I am wondering if somehow that is not functioning correctly. I did swap out the spark plugs and that didn't make a difference. Any thoughts as to what this could be? I am just looking for a little peace of mind hopefully. I am going to get it into the shop sometime this week but it is driving me nuts not knowing. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
tcbetka
Posted 11/9/2017 2:04 PM (#883904 - in reply to #883800)
Subject: Re: Help!!! Outboard issues

Did the motor turn over when you had the plugs out? If so, then it's certainly not seized (locked up). I wouldn't think that would be the case anyway. Also, did you check to see if there's any spark? How did the plugs look?

As long as it turns over, if it won't fire, it's one of two things generally: No fuel, or no spark. Even with bad fuel it should still fire and try to run. So I would check the plugs, and then verify it still has spark. Then if it does fire, you pretty much know where to look next.

TB
derekrusty
Posted 11/10/2017 2:43 PM (#883999 - in reply to #883904)

I really appreciate the feedback. Got it into the shop yesterday and it looks like its the starter. Which wouldnt explain why it ran rough and shut off, but the mechanic said the motor looks great otherwise.
tcbetka
Posted 11/10/2017 4:20 PM (#884015 - in reply to #883999)

It could have ticks and fleas. In other words, not everything you experience needs to be explained by one problem. So bad fuel or fouled plugs might explain the rough-running you experienced, and then the thing quit. Then the starter might be on the fritz, so it won't turn over. You think both these issues are caused by the same one thing...but in reality, there are a couple different things going on.

So start with the obvious issue(s) first. If the starter is broken, fix it. Then go from there. By the process of elimination you'll work through all the problems. One equation, one unknown.
whynot
Posted 11/12/2017 8:02 AM (#884094 - in reply to #883800)

I had a 1991 40 hp johnson on my first boat, it had some issues like yours I never would have believed were electrical. Turned out to be the power pack.
tolle141
Posted 11/12/2017 8:26 PM (#884141 - in reply to #883800)

Doesn't help with your problem, but I'd throw a can of seafoam in with every tank or so. Cleans, lubricates, stablizes, and manages moisture.

Good luck!
tcbetka
Posted 11/13/2017 7:06 AM (#884154 - in reply to #884141)

tolle141 - 11/12/2017 8:26 PM

Doesn't help with your problem, but I'd throw a can of seafoam in with every tank or so. Cleans, lubricates, stablizes, and manages moisture.

Good luck!

So is Seafoam a substitute for Stabil then? I've never used Seafoam, but have heard of others who do--I'm not sure if they also use something like Stabil besides that though?
14ledo81
Posted 11/13/2017 7:53 AM (#884158 - in reply to #884154)

tcbetka - 11/13/2017 7:06 AM

tolle141 - 11/12/2017 8:26 PM

Good luck!

So is Seafoam a substitute for Stabil then? I've never used Seafoam, but have heard of others who do--I'm not sure if they also use something like Stabil besides that though?

I believe Seafoam is a fuel stabilizer (like Sta-bil), but also has other benefits.
Clammer
Posted 11/13/2017 9:29 AM (#884170 - in reply to #883800)

Yes, Seafoam will do it well. Great stuff!
Fishkabible
Posted 11/16/2017 9:30 PM (#884552 - in reply to #883999)

derekrusty - 11/10/2017 2:43 PM

I really appreciate the feedback. Got it into the shop yesterday and it looks like its the starter. Which wouldnt explain why it ran rough and shut off, but the mechanic said the motor looks great otherwise.

What does running rough have anything to do with the starter?
tcbetka
Posted 11/17/2017 6:47 AM (#884556 - in reply to #884552)

Ticks & fleas, as I mentioned above.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)