Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Pearson Grinder Losing Fish

Message Subject: Pearson Grinder Losing Fish
jkurtkrauss
Posted 10/25/2017 4:53 PM (#882378)
Subject: Pearson Grinder Losing Fish

I've love the spinnerbait, but have lost several in the last couple of years, including perhaps my biggest fish a couple days ago. I'm using a trailer hook dressed with a mogambo, and use a piece of pvc tubing to help secure the trailer hook.
Thinking of using a treble as a trailer and put up with it being less weedless.

Thoughts?
Sidejack
Posted 10/25/2017 5:22 PM (#882380 - in reply to #882378)
Subject: Re: Pearson Grinder Losing Fish

My experience with safety-pin style single hook spinners and siwash hooks has been better hook ups compared to trebles and once hooked, they're usually in the net. Assuming your hooks are sharp, maybe consider other factors like hook set & how you're playing the fish?? ~scratchin my head~
pklingen
Posted 10/25/2017 7:09 PM (#882384 - in reply to #882378)

you won't be grinding anything if ya put a treble on. losing them is just part of it. if you had good success before then maybe there is something different you might be overlooking? i know i do switch out the trailer hook on the pearsons and use a 7/0 eagle claw trailer hook i get from LPO. just my .02. good luck
VMS
Posted 10/25/2017 8:19 PM (#882392 - in reply to #882378)

Hiya,

I remove the trailer hook completely. I would say my hook-up ratio on those baits is pretty rock solid. If the fish hits it, it more than likely is in the net as well. I think this happens because even if they engulf the lure, it has a tendency to slide to the corner of the mouth, hooking it right in that little fat part in the corner of the jaw. Get the hook in there and it's hitting the net.

Steve
MuskyMATT7
Posted 10/26/2017 4:30 PM (#882442 - in reply to #882378)

The solid connection from the lead head to the hook decreases your chances of landing fish on spinnerbaits. Check out our Llungen Nutbuster series which uses a a siwash style hook connected to the lead spinnerbait head. This will greatly increase your landing percentage as well as allow to cut hooks and replace when needed.
jdsplasher
Posted 10/26/2017 6:36 PM (#882451 - in reply to #882442)

^^^^^^^^^ Matt is right with this system^^^^^^^^^^^^

Been building my custom spinnerbaits  with this set up since late 90's. This systems allows a 20-30 degree of flex on the hook/wire.

I Also build a treble , leverage free spinnerbait for a presentation in spots without weeds, OR burning /trolling over weed. Even a better landing %.

JD

PIKEMASTER
Posted 10/27/2017 6:22 AM (#882479 - in reply to #882378)

With spinner Baits don’t Bomb cast !!
Short precise casts !
Sharp hooks !!!
sworrall
Posted 10/28/2017 8:22 PM (#882583 - in reply to #882378)

What Pikemaster said.
J_mich
Posted 10/29/2017 4:02 PM (#882655 - in reply to #882378)

The bulkiness of the mogambo will also make it harder to hook the fish with the trailer hook. It eliminates the gap needed for a good hooking percentage.
pklingen
Posted 10/29/2017 6:35 PM (#882664 - in reply to #882378)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yep, don't use them!
jkurtkrauss
Posted 11/1/2017 8:22 AM (#882975 - in reply to #882664)

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting takes on my problem. Im hesitant to take off the Magombo, for fear that that's what has been pulling the trigger on these fish. It's been remarkable over the last few years the amount of action thins lure gets. Is it because I'm always throwing it or is it because it's something special. Chicken or egg?

I did put a 2/0 treble as the trailer, threading the the grub over the shank. Works pretty well and still pretty weedless. Zero action last time out (on ANY) lure, so it yet to be tested.
TCESOX
Posted 11/2/2017 9:27 AM (#883148 - in reply to #882378)

While I haven't used the Pearson's, I use a similar bait quite a bit (JAW bait-out of production for quite while now), and consider it one of my best hooking percentage baits. I do also use the magombo trailer, and think it is an important component.

One thing to consider, is what is happening when you lose the fish. I typically burn these baits, and often get strikes from fish overtaking the bait from behind. These fish tend to continue swimming directly at the boat, and no matter how hard you may try to set the hook, the fish will simply be clamping down on the bait, and you have no hook in them yet. If you re-set the hook once you have some sort of angle (or straight up if they dive under the boat), you should get some penetration. Otherwise, they will simply let go of the bait. Also, if you feel that you don't have enough hook gap with the grub on the trailer hook, up-size the hook. I'm not sure what size hooks those have on them, but the trailer hooks that I use, have plenty of hook gap with the grub on. I wouldn't use the treble, as you lose one of the great advantages of this bait, to through some pretty thick stuff with very little hang up.
bigbite
Posted 11/3/2017 11:42 AM (#883277 - in reply to #882378)
Subject: RE: Pearson Grinder Losing Fish

One simple adjustment to the bait would help. What I'm suggesting is to take a pliers and bend the main hook point a few degrees off center to the right. Then do the same thing to the siwash hook only bed that to the left or opposite direction of the main hook.
esoxaddict
Posted 11/3/2017 1:11 PM (#883283 - in reply to #883277)
Subject: RE: Pearson Grinder Losing Fish

bigbite - 11/3/2017 11:42 AM

One simple adjustment to the bait would help. What I'm suggesting is to take a pliers and bend the main hook point a few degrees off center to the right. Then do the same thing to the siwash hook only bed that to the left or opposite direction of the main hook.

^ that
PredLuR
Posted 11/6/2017 1:28 AM (#883480 - in reply to #882378)

Another option on the trailer. Super glue it to the trailer hook and then trim some of the rubber on the head with a scissors thus opening up that gap a little bit more. I do that on my bucktails also as the heads on the trailer can get a bit beefy.
WILLEB
Posted 11/6/2017 6:23 PM (#883596 - in reply to #882378)

Agree with bigbite's comment. Bend the hook(s) off center a bit and much better hookup percentage in my experience. Easiest way is to put a twist in the hook shaft right before the bend starts. Hold one pliers on the straight shaft and use a second pliers on the hook radius to twist it a few degrees off center.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)