Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Anyone using Hughesnet?

Message Subject: Anyone using Hughesnet?
sworrall
Posted 10/16/2017 4:03 PM (#881502)
Subject: Anyone using Hughesnet?

We've used the services for several years, and it always was marginal at best. The last year and a half I relied upon it as a backup to my T1 line. When the T1 developed issues, I called in and talked to the account folks at Hughesnet and they told me the fix was to go to Gen5. Scheduled and install, and if it didn't fly, so tried a repair which also didn't work, upload was absolutely pathetic and would not carry the VOIP they talked me into, no one could hear or understand half our conversations. Got all new cabling, tried a couple different radios and nada.

What has your experience been? Maybe there's a fix out there?

tcbetka
Posted 10/16/2017 5:30 PM (#881514 - in reply to #881502)
Subject: Re: Anyone using Hughesnet?

Before my mother died last year, we had her on that ISP there in Tomahawk. It was very marginal at best, and mostly I just ended up tethering to my cell phone rather than struggle with that.

TB
sworrall
Posted 10/16/2017 6:25 PM (#881525 - in reply to #881514)

That would have been cheaper, that's for sure, but believe it or not, where my place is is a dead zone for both at&t and verizon. 1 mile east or west, and boom.

We are now using a new Frontier connection that's pretty good, they got it run out here a couple months ago. In the meantime, it's been absolutely a nightmare getting the system to work and then get it cancelled. I gotta be missing something...
tcbetka
Posted 10/16/2017 7:55 PM (#881532 - in reply to #881502)

Heh...I had like 1-2 bars on the cell phone! That one year I spent about 4-5 months up there was a nightmare, in terms of having Internet access. We are one of the most developed nations in the world, yet our Internet connectivity pretty much sucks unless you live near a city.

TB
muskyjim
Posted 10/17/2017 4:17 PM (#881607 - in reply to #881525)

Another option that you could look into is Excede. I don't use it, but I have talked to others that have made the switch from Hughes with good success. May be worth looking into.
OscarTFish
Posted 10/18/2017 4:34 PM (#881677 - in reply to #881607)

Exede throttles down bandwidth as you use more.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)