Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: CHECK OUT OUR PICKS OF OUR TRIP TO ANDY MYERS LODGE IN CANADA SUMMER OF 2005 AND MANY OTHERS !!!!
- (Added by: Jaime Friedman)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Resin / injection molding glide bait

Message Subject: Resin / injection molding glide bait
sharptoothwv
Posted 10/13/2017 9:29 PM (#881282)
Subject: Resin / injection molding glide bait

I have a glide bait design that has really taken off and demand has greatly increased I currently build all my baits from solid maple and weight each bait according to the weight of the blank. I am really interested in letting someone pour my baits from solid resin. Is there any contacts or companies that anyone on here has used that you would recommend? I know you can do it yourself with the kits they sell from make lure.com but I'm not sure that is going to be much faster and the consistency would still be there I could be wrong though. I have talked to a hard plastic injection molding company that caters to hard plastic fishing lures they were "too busy" to give me a quote or talk about taking the job right now. Anyone had any success with this that didn't totally break the bank?
muskymartin67
Posted 10/14/2017 6:33 AM (#881304 - in reply to #881282)
Subject: Re: Resin / injection molding glide bait

Stick with the wood, a lot of musky guys prefer wood gliders once a company switches over from wood to plastic everyone complains and wishes they never switched action may be decent, but not quite the same and most will say they only want the old ones, this has happened with cranks too, just a suggestion- perhaps offer both and keep everyone happy
sharptoothwv
Posted 10/14/2017 10:28 AM (#881321 - in reply to #881282)

Offering both wood and plastic is something I considered mainly selling the wood as custom colors at shows and such. For me the major plus was no need to seal the bait or a tooth being able to go through the plastic.
Landry
Posted 10/15/2017 3:01 PM (#881391 - in reply to #881282)

Look up Mike Richardson on Facebook. He is good and knows all about this stuff
supertrollr
Posted 10/19/2017 4:39 PM (#881785 - in reply to #881282)

if you want your life a lot easier put wood away,but if you want to make sure most clients will be happy go with the wood,urethane will never be as good especially for cranks
esox911
Posted 10/19/2017 8:54 PM (#881818 - in reply to #881785)

Wood is where it is at for glides and dive / rise. Guys won't pay big $$ for resin or foam... Stick with the WOOD----that's what makes it a quality sought after lure. If you think you are going to be able to make more out of resin because the demand is going to be so high---thus make a bunch of $$$----WRONG... you will quickly find out--only so many buyers and you will never get rich......
MRichardson
Posted 10/20/2017 4:30 PM (#881909 - in reply to #881282)
Subject: RE: Resin / injection molding glide bait

Lol, oh my, I can’t, just can’t.  Sorry, but I just can’t fight the good fight anymore.  Yes, wood is magic...  Never mind that any physical properties/densities  of wood can be matched in plastic, never mind that once your high end bait get scratched and beat up a little the fancy finish will be ruined when the wood swells, never mind that shapes that can be molded can’t be replicated practically in wood.  And yes, absolutely never mind some of the most fish catching lures AND some of the most high end baits ARE resin/plastic.  Wood is magic, period.  No matter how intrinsically unexplainable the magic argument is, it will never change.  There are way too many nube builders and an out numbering amount of builders with band saws cutting basic 2D profiles professing the craftsmanship of working with wood.  I give up.  I guess the silver lining for me is I have enough of a customer base who know better and keep me busy.

I’ve recently been recommending a guy in the UK who has great pricing for tooling.  You will have to pour them yourself though, but that seems the most economical and practical way to get things done these days.

https://www.facebook.com/Custom-Lure-Factory-166296680235786/

Have fun.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Molly darter.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Molly darter.jpg (93KB - 530 downloads)
pklingen
Posted 10/23/2017 7:37 PM (#882181 - in reply to #881282)

that color would get chewed up on my waters, awesome baits!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)