Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Helix 7 Chirp SI G2N vs Helix 10 SI GEN 1

Reply New post
Message Subject: Helix 7 Chirp SI G2N vs Helix 10 SI GEN 1
SkiNoob
Posted 10/4/2017 9:00 AM (#880057)
Subject: Helix 7 Chirp SI G2N vs Helix 10 SI GEN 1

Anyone have opinions?

I have a 597CI on the boat right now. Always wanted SI for trolling (walleyes and musky).

I was thinking on using the 5" for mapping and one of the newer units for SI/sonar. Eventually will probably move the 597 to the front of the boat and get a 7 for maps.

The Helix 10" SI GEN1 is almost the same price as the Helix 7 CHIRP SI G2N.

Obviously either unit would be an upgrade. I like the idea of a bigger screen, do I really need "CHIRP"?

I'm looking to spend around $800.

What do you guys think?
mtcook16
Posted 10/4/2017 9:20 AM (#880059 - in reply to #880057)
Subject: Re: Helix 7 Chirp SI G2N vs Helix 10 SI GEN 1

The 10 will be much better for SI, due to the larger screen size. The G2N model of Helix 10 would include MEGA SI/DI, the clearest and most impressive SI/DI returns out there, but a different price range than you are looking for.

In shallower, freshwater use, CHIRP helps. However, it really begins to shine in deep water (>45') applications when you start to extend the use of one or two frequencies beyond their ideal conditions. CHIRP pings, returns and processes a multitude of frequencies at once and then processes them upon return to yield the best images. It's kind of like using an adjustable wrench, it may work for 1/4" to 1" bolts, but I'd rather have a 1" wrench that is designed specifically for that bolt. The CHIRP units have a toolbox full of "wrenches" (frequencies) for the job, and don't rely on a "one-size-fits-all" approach of using one or two "wrenches" (frequencies) for all scenarios, like a non-CHIRP unit does. The analogy maybe simple, but should help explain the concept.

Per your original question, the different between the 7 SI GPS G2N vs 10 SI GPS (G1) are below. Dollars are best spent on the HELIX 10 G1, IMO.

Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2N:
-SI
-DI
-2D
-GPS
-(1) XNT 9 SI 180 T "Standard/Compact SI Transducer"
-(1) micro SD card slot
-AutoChart Live
-Ethernet capability for networking
-CHIRP sonar across 2D, DI, SI sonar, for enhanced target separation and sharpness of images. Will enhance your viewing of sonar returns, but will not be life-changing or show anything that is not already shown on non-chirp models

HELIX 10 SI GPS (G1)
-SI
-DI
-2D
-GPS
-(1) XHS 9 HDSI 180 T "HD Side Imaging Transducer" --> better image potential than compact SI transducer
-(2) full-size SD card slots
-(3) Preset view "shortcut" keys
-AutoChart Live
-Ethernet capability for networking
-No CHIRP on 2D, DI, SI
-Better screen resolution than HELIX 7

Edited by mtcook16 10/4/2017 9:34 AM
Musky Brian
Posted 10/4/2017 12:25 PM (#880098 - in reply to #880057)

I'm making the move to Birds and the options are making my head spin.

How much of a difference will Chirp really make? Are we talking putting more fish in the boat difference, or just an enhancement of the details on things you can easily see before on the previous model?

mtcook16
Posted 10/4/2017 2:09 PM (#880132 - in reply to #880098)

Musky Brian - 10/4/2017 12:25 PM

I'm making the move to Birds and the options are making my head spin.

How much of a difference will Chirp really make? Are we talking putting more fish in the boat difference, or just an enhancement of the details on things you can easily see before on the previous model?

The latter that you mention...you will see things in higher clarity and detail, but will likely not pick up any additional fish or structure because of it, especially when applied to muskie fishing techniques and scenarios.
SkiNoob
Posted 10/4/2017 9:10 PM (#880192 - in reply to #880132)

Did some more research and pulled the trigger on the 10 first gen.

Will I have trouble with the two transducers on the boat? - 597ci and helix 10SI?

It (597) doesn't have ethernet, so I can't network them.

Edited by SkiNoob 10/4/2017 9:18 PM
mtcook16
Posted 10/6/2017 11:10 AM (#880428 - in reply to #880057)

If the units are placed at the bow and the transom, you should be fine. If they are both at the console/helm and have two transducers on the transom, yes you will likely have issues. The sonar frequencies will interfere with one another. However, on your dedicated map unit, tap the power button and a menu will give you the option to turn off the sonar and stop it from pinging from that unit.

In the picture below, you should already have the XNT 9 20 or XP 9 20 mounted to the boat. Plug both transducers into their specific side of the Y-cable (M SIDB Y) and plug the single remaining plug into the unit..

Edited by mtcook16 10/6/2017 11:18 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(MSI DB Y configuration.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MSI DB Y configuration.png (112KB - 599 downloads)
SkiNoob
Posted 10/6/2017 5:08 PM (#880463 - in reply to #880428)

So long story short, boat melted down. Not sure what happened. But they are pulling wire, so now is the time.

I might get a 7 for mapping. Would the lakemaster in my unit now work for the 7?

I'm assuming I can't use the same transducer for the SI and a 7 chirp.

Like another thread, too many options!
milje
Posted 10/7/2017 6:42 AM (#880477 - in reply to #880057)

I have a Helix 9 mega SI on the bow and a Helix 7 DI on the console, connected them with an Ethernet cable (AS EC 15 with a pair of AS EC QDE adapters), the transducer is connected to the 9" Mega SI. With the Ethernet connected, I am able to access SI and mega frequencies with my 7" even though It shouldnt have them. I hooked this up last week and tried it both Saturday and Sunday, both days everything was working great for about half an hour then I lost my Ethernet connection. I talked to Humminbirds and they said one possible issue could have been a low battery, mine hadn't been charged in a while so that is a possibility. I'll be trying this setup again this morning and will let you know if it works.

I also installed the DI transducer that came with my Helix 7 last night just in case I can't get the Ethernet to work. From what I've read, if you run different frequencies on each sonar they shouldn't interfere. I've never run two fish finders on one boat before so this is my first try, will let you know how it works.

Edited by milje 10/7/2017 6:44 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)