Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Whitefish Bay Crawford Camp. Tomahawk Sioux Narrows Provincial Campground

Message Subject: Whitefish Bay Crawford Camp. Tomahawk Sioux Narrows Provincial Campground
Stevo
Posted 9/12/2017 12:12 PM (#877624)
Subject: Whitefish Bay Crawford Camp. Tomahawk Sioux Narrows Provincial Campground

After several trips to Sabaskong bay on LOTW I'd like to plan a week of muskie fishing in the oligo water of Whitefish Bay. I've tried Whitefish a total of two times by using the boat dolly at Turtle Portage from Sabaskong ( a hit or miss proposition) and on those occasions only ventured a mile or two north of the Whitefish Bay Camp. I'm looking at making home base in the Sioux Narrows region possibly at Crawford Camp or Tomahawk with the thought that it would place me more centrally in Whitefish Bay at least more so than Vic and Dots or the Whitefish Bay Camp. That said, I would also like to get any firsthand info on the Sioux Narrows Provincial Campground which is also in the area if someone experience staying there.

I'm curious too how far north you have to travel by boat towards the Pipestone area of LOTW before the clarity of the water begins to take on color. Part of my thinking is that if the trout water in Whitefish Bay proves too tough I might still have the opportunity to make the trip north to some more forgiving stained water. Perhaps this is an unreasonable idea since I do not really have much experience on this section of LOTW.

Any insights would be appreciated.
true tiger tamer
Posted 9/12/2017 3:01 PM (#877660 - in reply to #877624)
Subject: Re: Whitefish Bay Crawford Camp. Tomahawk Sioux Narrows Provincial Campground

Yellow Girl bay has stained water and isn't horribly far from Tomahawk.
tswoboda
Posted 9/12/2017 6:15 PM (#877690 - in reply to #877660)
Subject: Re: Whitefish Bay Crawford Camp. Tomahawk Sioux Narrows Provincial Campground

true tiger tamer - 9/12/2017 3:01 PM

Yellow Girl bay has stained water and isn't horribly far from Tomahawk.

As mentioned, yellow girl is where the water starts to get some color and that's about 12 miles from Crawford's, add a couple more from Tomahawk.

I've stayed at both those resorts and would recommend both, but they are very different. I think Tomahawk is like twice the price, and I'd say twice the accommodations. Both are good options depending on what you're looking for.
mseybert
Posted 9/12/2017 7:44 PM (#877702 - in reply to #877624)
Subject: RE: Whitefish Bay Crawford Camp. Tomahawk Sioux Narrows Provincial Campground

Ive stayed at Tomahawk a couple times. The Kast's, who own it, are top notch. It is pricey, but the cabins are amazing and they take care of you. It is about 40 minutes to yellow girl at 28 mph. A little less than that down to Bell Island. I haven't muskie fished much there, but have moved a couple. I will continue to go to Tomahawk for the nice amenities!
Bcarsella
Posted 9/16/2017 9:53 AM (#878132 - in reply to #877624)

The pipestone again of Lakes is north of emo, on the east side of the road LOTW is on the west so you can't boat there.
Bcarsella
Posted 9/16/2017 9:59 AM (#878133 - in reply to #877624)

Chain *
Stevo
Posted 9/18/2017 11:48 PM (#878423 - in reply to #877624)

I'm referring to the Pipestone area on Lake of the Woods between Whitefish Bay and the city of Kenora. I too was confused when searching for Pipestone Resort. Pipestone Lodge near the town of Emo popped up when I did an internet search.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)