Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Vermillion in October

Message Subject: Vermillion in October
ErockEsox
Posted 9/9/2017 1:04 PM (#877196)
Subject: Vermillion in October

I'm headed up to Spring Bay Resort on Vermillion from October 7-14. This will be my first trip on Vermillion ever and was hoping for some pointers on what type of structure I should plan on fishing so I can start doing my homework, as well as what lures I should be sure to have in my box.

I plan on hiring a guide up there one of the first couple of days so I can get a lay of the land, but would like to have a bit of a game plan before heading up. I've fished Lake of the Woods out of Nestor falls many times and would guess V has a relatively similar structure compared to say, Lake Minnetonka.

Any pointers are good pointers. Thanks!
WOLFFMAN
Posted 9/9/2017 6:10 PM (#877218 - in reply to #877196)
Subject: RE: Vermillion in October

see pm
mnmusky
Posted 9/9/2017 6:48 PM (#877223 - in reply to #877218)
Subject: Re: Vermillion in October

not at all like Tonka. V is a shield lake
ErockEsox
Posted 9/11/2017 12:50 PM (#877447 - in reply to #877196)

Another question.

Do people on Vermillion troll suckers, or would that be a waste of my time. If it is a good option, are there any bait shops up there that will have the big suckers, or should I bring them along and try and keep them alive?
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/12/2017 7:52 AM (#877573 - in reply to #877447)

ErockEsox - 9/11/2017 12:50 PM

Another question.

Do people on Vermillion troll suckers, or would that be a waste of my time. If it is a good option, are there any bait shops up there that will have the big suckers, or should I bring them along and try and keep them alive?

There aren't any places that I'm aware of that sell big suckers in the area. Some people say that they don't work on Vermilion. I've never tried it so I can't say.

Vermilion can be a tough mother in the fall. The best advice I can tell you is to cover a ton of water until you come across an active one. Throw big blades and big rubber depending on how the spot lays out. Weeds and rocks, same as any other time of the year. They could be deep or shallow. Try it all.
jonnysled
Posted 9/12/2017 8:25 AM (#877578 - in reply to #877573)

used to fish the last moon in late october - early november and we concentrated on areas with high volumes of ciscoes throwing pounders, alphas and did reasonably well. crazy conditions sometimes with snow and cold but figured it was like taking a lottery ticket. we never won the powerball but we did catch fish. didn't have to move around much knowing we were there, so were they and it was all about being there for the window. good spots have fish ... but, it is Vermillion too.
MJH
Posted 9/12/2017 10:12 PM (#877724 - in reply to #877196)
Subject: RE: Vermillion in October

I believe that will be the same time frame as their Fall Musky Outing. The outing is fabulous as everyone shares what's been working, structure,....then there is also the nightly camp fires, a few stories, a few beers....
The owners (Joe, Steve and crew) are also happy to point you in the right direction. If you are a guest there they will mark up your map with recent "hot spots" for whatever kind of fish you are searching for.
Great place to stay. Great owners. Enjoy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)