Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> saskatchewan pike fishing lodges

Message Subject: saskatchewan pike fishing lodges
itmusky
Posted 8/31/2017 7:07 PM (#876254)
Subject: saskatchewan pike fishing lodges

I am looking to book a trophy pike fishing trip for my wife and I next year. Any recommendation on a lodge to book that is reasonably priced. Looking to spend 3K or less per person.

Any help is appreciated.
NPike
Posted 9/3/2017 4:47 PM (#876469 - in reply to #876254)
Subject: RE: saskatchewan pike fishing lodges

Kesagami is great if you got the bucks. However it's Ontario. I went to the cabin not the lodge operated by Air Cochrane. We caught big pike and lots of walleye.

http://kesagami.com/
bigbite
Posted 9/3/2017 9:51 PM (#876479 - in reply to #876254)

You might try kississing Lake lodge. Goggle them up and check the prices. We stayed there twice and had a good time.

Edited by bigbite 9/3/2017 9:52 PM
muskyhawk66
Posted 9/7/2017 9:41 AM (#876884 - in reply to #876254)

I highly recommend North Knife Lake. Spectacular big pike fishing along with Lake trout and Walleye fishing! They have access to other excellent lakes too. On top of that the facilities are excellent and the food is to die for. Owners wife is an award winning chef with numerous published cook books. A great place to take your wife. It's pricey but worth it!
BNelson
Posted 9/7/2017 9:45 AM (#876885 - in reply to #876884)
Subject: Re: saskatchewan pike fishing lodges

I'm also interested in this thread. Taltson Bay and Scott Lake lodge Facebook pages are lit up with huge pike every week, I looked into pricing and it is pretty steep...
talmooner
Posted 9/7/2017 11:00 AM (#876909 - in reply to #876254)

Not Sask, but I suggest a look at Lac la Martre Lodge in the Northwest Territories.
Not "cheap" but top notch fishing for big pike and lakers.
I have gone to this lodge for the past 4 years and have never been disappointed.
Pike over 20 pounds are pretty regular event with an occasional 30 plus pounder, as well as lakers in the 20 plus category.
krazyk
Posted 9/10/2017 7:38 PM (#877315 - in reply to #876254)

Lake Athabasca is always a good trip out of Lakers Unlimited.Big fat pike and lots of trout. I went to Great Slave this June and it was amazing, 68 fish over 40", a bunch of 45"s , my biggest was 50" and I saw 2 bigger ! We went to Trout Rock/ Enodah and it was one of the best run camps I've ever been to...The food and guides really made the trip a winner. Its not only a trophy fishery because the 2 of us caught over 950 fish in 6 1/2 days...needless to say I'm going back !

Edited by krazyk 9/10/2017 7:39 PM
esoxlucifer
Posted 9/10/2017 10:59 PM (#877332 - in reply to #877315)

You will get what you pay for with this sort of trip. I do some musky fishing, but have done many of these trophy pike trips with my buddies and several girlfriends over the years. Be especially mindful of the persons(male or female) sensibilities when planning a trip such as this. It costs money to be comfortable and have great trophy pike fishing. We started in Ontario, then Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Northwest Territories. The further north(but not too far above 60th parallel) and west you go, the better the fishing. Also, the larger the lake/system the better the fishing.Athabaska is OK, but pike fishing there has seen better days. There we caught one 20 lb pike per angler per day(great lake trout fishing though). The best option we have found is Brabant lodge which is perfectly positioned at the confluence of Great Slave Lake and The Mckenzie River. This allows fishing the darker river on post frontal days and clearer main lake prefrontal. We average 2 pike over 20 lb per day per angler and someone gets a 30 lber each week. Friends and I have caught two fish in the 25 lb plus range simultaneously on two seperate occasions. Those pics are conversation pieces on the mantle. The topwater bite is insane-we regularly catch 50 plus fish per angler per day on top. Great lodge, nice cabins with private showers/Bath for each pair of guests, quality food with open bar. Boats and guides good and evening fishing 7pm-10pm included at no extra charge. Prices include flight from edmonton. That price(note it is listed in Canadian funds) is high compared to most lodges. But we have been going twice per season for years and there are many guests that have been going for decades. It is the place that trophy pike hunters go when they can afford to go anywhere. The lodge doesn't advertise because once you go there you will return. My buddies and I joke that one reason we have jobs is to be able to return to Brabant. If Brabant folded I would try Trout rock on Slave-Ive heard fishing similar. But lodging certainly a cut below per friends that have tried it. Talston bay is a cut below that, again fishing looks pretty good. Lac la Martre Has quality fish but can be tough due to ultraclear water. Would love to hear more on others experiences.Anyone interested in more info from me feel free to shoot me a PM.

s of pike and those in the

J_mich
Posted 9/15/2017 11:52 AM (#878058 - in reply to #876254)

Well you asked for $3000 or less per person and your getting $5000 per person suggestions. Always have found it funny that those who want to help really don't. I've taken 55 fly-in pike trips over the years, with the last 29 going to Taltson Bay Big Pike Lodge on Great Slave Lake. But I'm not going to suggest that place even though In-Fisherman rates the Taltson watershed number 1 this year.

Try Dunlops in northern Manitoba. It's a clean camp. The fishing is good for Manitoba standards, which means youll catch some fish at or near 40" with shots and bigger fish each day. It's not a true trophy pike location, but if you want that you'll need to expand your price point.

John
esoxlucifer
Posted 9/16/2017 1:28 PM (#878148 - in reply to #878058)

He asked for help and I see nothing but help in all the posts above. We should even attempt to take the last post at face value of being helpfull. It is good that a less expensive option has been mentioned. I imagine the reason the other posts all suggested more expensive lodges is that on this kind of trip they see it as money well spent. All but one of my fishing buddies have tried the less expensive route. They now pony up for the better experience, as a better value in their eyes. Perhaps the majority of posters on this have had a similar journey. Sharing that is a big part of what M1 is about-helping each other get the most enjoyment out of the sport we love.
J_mich
Posted 9/17/2017 8:25 PM (#878267 - in reply to #876254)

Someone offering info on a $6k pike trip got his undees in a bunch I see. Oh wait with airfare....north of that..lol!

I'm sure a guy asking for a $3000 trip per will jump at the chance to go100% higher than asked, no matter how great the fishing is. No doubt anything on Slave is epic, but some need to walk and not run to start their pike fly in adventures. But then that's what's normal when booking something exotic for the first time.

Edited by J_mich 9/17/2017 8:37 PM
krazyk
Posted 9/17/2017 8:42 PM (#878269 - in reply to #876254)

My father and I went to Dunlops and once was enough !!!...The lake is basically a giant weedbed and for some reason our guide liked to give us a tour of the lake everyday ! One day our boat broke down in the middle of a nasty thunderstorm and the emergency phone to camp wasn't working so we paddled for 2 hours to get off the main lake and avoid getting smashed on the rocks ..good fun ! not even an ounce of concern from the owner when we finally got to the dock !!! Don't even get me started about Gangler's ...Great Slave is a pike fishermans dream, end of story!
RLSea
Posted 9/17/2017 9:29 PM (#878279 - in reply to #876254)

I never thought a discussion on remote fly-in lodges would elicit such fiery responses, like there was some kind of emotional attachment. Whew! We do live in a polarized age!
esoxlucifer
Posted 9/18/2017 12:45 AM (#878290 - in reply to #878279)

RL, having been on remote fly-in trips where things go bad-and one was with a girlfriend- I can understand Krazyk being upset. Unlike most trips, if it sours ones options to salvage the trip and recover funds spent are very limited. On the other hand, trips with the right lodge can be superb. The original poster PMd me right after my initial post and I gave him more detailed info. Happy to do the same for any of you as it seems there is keen interest in this.
itmusky
Posted 9/18/2017 7:12 PM (#878403 - in reply to #876254)

Thanks for all the advice posted above. What I learned is that I am probably going to be disappointed going to the cheaper lodges and if a true trophy trip is what I am after I should just save another year and book one at Great Slave lake and I probably wont be disappointed I did. So yes while the other posted didn't answer my post exact it was very clear I wouldn't be happy at a cheaper lodge.
Instead I booked a week at Andy Meyers Lodge for a week with my wife and I am sure we wont regret that choice. We will most likely end up going to Great Slave the next year. Thanks All!

Edited by itmusky 9/18/2017 7:26 PM
elohb
Posted 9/12/2022 5:15 PM (#1011694 - in reply to #877315)

I am reviving this old post because I am hoping someone can help me with some questions I have about Brabant Lodge. I have tried contacting esoxlucifer without any success - so far. Our group is looking to book a trip to Brabant in 2023 and I am hoping to speak with someone who has visited the lodge (hopefully, recently).
chuckski
Posted 9/13/2022 9:37 AM (#1011713 - in reply to #876254)

Where ever you go make sure they have a catch and release policy. I took a trip to Northern Saskatchewan about 20 years ago and it was fun, we were so far North it 8 hours on very ruff dirt roads. Caught a lot of Walleyes up to 27" some Lake Trout and a hand full of 30"-36" Pike and a ton of small ones. Not every where has big Pike.
elohb
Posted 9/13/2022 12:09 PM (#1011716 - in reply to #876254)

Thank you, chuckski, for the response. From what I have been able to find from research, Brabant implemented a catch and release policy decades ago. It is also strictly barbless fishing. I just realized I should also clarify I am looking at Brabant Lodge on the Great Slave Lake that is situated at the mouth of the Mackenzie River. I say that because I understand there is another lodge with a similar name that is situated on a lake in Saskatchewan.

Edited by elohb 9/13/2022 12:50 PM
R/T
Posted 9/15/2022 11:59 AM (#1011809 - in reply to #876254)

Seems you are not getting many replies. I was there in 1980 and the pike ran real big. 25 lbers not unusual. My biggest was 48". After dinner we took advantage of the grayling fishing close to camp. Plentiful and the largest I have seen. From the above it sounds like it was still fantastic in 2017. So I am thinking if it was great in 1980 and great in 2017 it will probably be great in 2023.
elohb
Posted 9/15/2022 7:29 PM (#1011829 - in reply to #1011809)

Thank you, R/T. I greatly appreciate the feedback. Since my post here, I have been able to speak with esoxlucifer who made the post in 2017. He confirmed the fishing at Brabant is as good today as it ever has been. My group is on the verge of booking a trip for the summer of 2023 to Brabant - really excited about it.
ColdLabatts
Posted 5/7/2023 9:53 PM (#1020565 - in reply to #876254)

I guess I'll revive this one a bit too. How does Wollaston compare to some of the other places mentioned, specifically Great Slave?
Pikebait
Posted 5/8/2023 8:37 AM (#1020570 - in reply to #876254)

There is lots of places with trophy pike in Saskatchewan 40” pike are not that hard to come by but how you target them will make a big difference. When you go plays a roll too

Are you looking for drive to with your own boat or boat provided?

What’s your definition of trophy pike? There is lots of places 40” or potential to break 50”

Saskatchewan has lots of good lakes without the reputation that hold pig pike. C&R vs C&K is not a real factor partly do to the regs and most locals don’t target pike to eat (they focus on walleye instead). There is some lakes that have big pike that get ignored because the lake is known for other species. I know one lake (lac la plonge)that is more of a lake trout lake but actually has big pike if you target the correct areas. Almost no one targets the pike and they just head to the other end for lakers. I have caught pike over 40” within sight of the boat launch

Because I am just in Alberta I just keep it simple and don’t stay anywhere fancy. I pick a base lake and bounce around to multiple waters with my kayak.

What are your goals and needs? I should be able to offer some suggestions
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)