Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> If you had to do it all again...

Message Subject: If you had to do it all again...
acafisherman19
Posted 8/19/2017 8:24 PM (#874914)
Subject: If you had to do it all again...

Hello all,

I'm currently a college student and have thinking about my summer after graduation. I might have the opportunity to spend my summer fishing and the like since I'll be lucky enough to have some money saved up. However, I'll stay be on a budget of sorts as I won't be able to spend all summer renting space at a Canadian lodge or something.

So, if you had to do it all again, any ideas on how I should go about spending these couple of months?

acafisherman19
Brian Hoffies
Posted 8/19/2017 8:37 PM (#874915 - in reply to #874914)
Subject: Re: If you had to do it all again...

You could save your money, get a early start on a retirement account or goof off a couple of months and spend the money. How about getting a job at a resort? Get a little fishing time, hone some people skills and get paid for it. I personally know several dock boys who knock down some serious cash during the summer. They get their housing as part of their salary. Make some tip money pumping gas, launching boats, and in general just helping the customers. But the REAL money comes cleaning the fish. Those guys really knock down some coin cleaning fish, especially the guys who can remove the Y bones from Pike.
muskyroller
Posted 8/19/2017 8:56 PM (#874918 - in reply to #874914)

Become a teacher and fish every day, all summer long. That's what I would do. Oh wait, that's what I did!
14ledo81
Posted 8/20/2017 5:26 AM (#874932 - in reply to #874914)

Get into firefighter/EMT work. The guys here work 24 hour shifts. They wind up with a lot of time off.
tundrawalker00
Posted 8/20/2017 6:58 AM (#874933 - in reply to #874914)

You're going to work for the rest of your life. THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. I'd say the lodge job or a charter boat mate would be a great idea. There are trolling charters on LSC that need mates, walleye charters on Saginaw Bay and Erie, salmon charters all across the Great Lakes. You'll pick up all kinds of general fishing skill and knowledge and maybe gain some insight into where you'd like to end up someday.
hooked
Posted 8/20/2017 7:16 AM (#874935 - in reply to #874933)

Go. Play.

Edited by hooked 8/20/2017 7:18 AM
Dan Klis
Posted 8/20/2017 9:56 AM (#874943 - in reply to #874914)
Subject: RE: If you had to do it all again...

acafisherman19 - 8/19/2017 8:24 PM

Hello all,

I'm currently a college student and have thinking about my summer after graduation. I might have the opportunity to spend my summer fishing and the like since I'll be lucky enough to have some money saved up. However, I'll stay be on a budget of sorts as I won't be able to spend all summer renting space at a Canadian lodge or something.

So, if you had to do it all again, any ideas on how I should go about spending these couple of months?

acafisherman19

Flag Island Resort is looking for help. Great way to spend the summer and get some fishing in as well. Flag is located in the Northwest Angle, LOTW
musky513
Posted 8/20/2017 12:17 PM (#874949 - in reply to #874914)

Fish as much as you possibly can. You'll never say,"Dang I wish I had fished less this summer..."
true tiger tamer
Posted 8/20/2017 12:55 PM (#874952 - in reply to #874914)

I'd say enjoy yourself, you never know what the future will bring.
figuree
Posted 8/29/2017 10:08 PM (#876032 - in reply to #874952)

Enjoy some yoga pants and their contents too while you still can. Spent alot of time in early 20s burning candle at both ends trying to get in as much time on water and hours in treestand as posible. Often at expense of what now looking are un reproducible opportunities, wish as I may. Lol. Have some fun this summer and next couple years. You have the rest of life to fish etc...before you know it you will be volunteering to go to coffee shop for wife on Saturday mornings because of the ,still atainible to you, yoga pant clad customers.
tkuntz
Posted 8/30/2017 6:45 AM (#876040 - in reply to #874914)

God bless all the hard body women who wear yoga pants.
NathanH
Posted 8/30/2017 7:01 AM (#876041 - in reply to #876040)

Get a job or get one lined up. I had a bunch of friends decide that they were going to play the summer after they finished College. A bulk of the jobs are handed out in the spring so when they went looking in the fall nothing but temp work and low paying junk. Then when the next spring rolled around they had a harder time because employers didn't understand the gap. Granted this is mute if you have a job set up or if you happen to have a degree in something useful.
NathanH
Posted 8/30/2017 7:03 AM (#876042 - in reply to #874918)

muskyroller - 8/19/2017 8:56 PM

Become a teacher and fish every day, all summer long. That's what I would do. Oh wait, that's what I did!

This is the ultimate power play. Both my parents were teachers and we spent our summers fishing and at the lake having a great time. Granted they need to keep up with credits but that must be online now.
T3clay
Posted 8/30/2017 8:00 AM (#876044 - in reply to #874914)

Id go for a job first, wether its a career or at a resort either way youll have money coming in. Saved up money goes quick. And ya yoga pants contents... leave yime for those in between fishibg trips
Slamr
Posted 8/30/2017 8:45 AM (#876047 - in reply to #876044)

When I'm not making mega millions working for OutdoorsFIRST, I mess around with being a recruiter (like 20 years of this). I'd echo comments above about how bad an idea it is to put off getting a job to "play" for that summer. The job market is tighter than in recent memory (for anything but technology or some other highly developed fields) and competition for jobs that young people with an education but no real job skills is greater than ever. If you're not in a full time job right after school, you better be in an internship. Fishing is great, f-ing off for a summer sounds like a dream, but it will absolutely SUCK when you're constantly behind those that DID work right out of school, DID do internships.

Yes, life is short, but saving and planing for the future can help you to NOT end up always behind in money and always wishing you had the money and time to go fishing. News flash: having a job and being an adult doesn't mean you will never get to fish. If you get married and your family pops out a bunch of kids, then you buy a house, and 2 new-ish cars, and and and, yeah, you can find yourself in a situation where you have no free time and no free money. BUT, all of that is a choice.

Get a job. Money doesn't make you happy, but not having it really sucks.
Slamr
Posted 8/30/2017 8:48 AM (#876048 - in reply to #874914)

AND if I could do it all over again, I would have had LESS fun, worked more, saved more and taken better opportunities to advance my career earlier. It would be fabulous to be about 3 years ahead in my retirement planning right now.
Brad P
Posted 8/30/2017 8:48 AM (#876049 - in reply to #876044)

My biggest regret in college was not taking a summer to do what you are describing. Go do it. Once you hit the 9-5 game you'll never be able to do it again unless you are unemployed and chances are by then you'll have things holding you down like a mortgage and a family. This is your chance to do it and be free.

Take meticulous notes of what your learn. Then once you hit the 9-5 club and become a weekend angler you'll be way ahead of the game. In that one respect it is an investment.

The teaching gig is a great suggestion. Pick a place with excellent fishing nearby and other recreational activities you enjoy.
jwheeler
Posted 8/30/2017 9:55 AM (#876067 - in reply to #874914)

Look up the rule of 72 and apply it to your situation.

My personal opinion is to get as much money working for you as you can at your age with the hopes of retiring early. If it all works out you can retire early, fish whenever and wherever if that's what you want to do. I'm three years out of college/master's, and looking back my biggest regret is not starting to invest sooner. Compounding interest is an amazing thing for young people...
esoxaddict
Posted 8/30/2017 10:18 AM (#876072 - in reply to #874914)

Wise advice above. Very wise... I fished 50 - 100 days a year during and just out of college. I fished 50-100 days a year for years after that. I was lucky to have a decent job, with 8 weeks pf paid time off by the time the company went under. Spent 6 weeks up North every year, week in Canada, and a week in Florida fishing.

While I would not give those memories back for anything, I woke up one day unemployed, 40 years old, no house, little retirement, $20k to my name, and no real job prospects because I dedicated my life to playing during the 20 years when I should have been busting my butt and socking away money for retirement.

Man, I had fun. But now I look at my parents. They've been retired for 20 years, they will never have to worry about money, and they're having a blast. Every day is a party because they can go wherever they want and do whatever they want. Their only job is staying healthy enough to continue partying like rock stars.

I don't necessarily regret my 20 year vacation. But breaking your ass working 12 hour days/weekends is a LOT different when you're 50 than it is when you're 25. And I won't likely have the luxury of retiring. If I could go back to my 20's or even my 30's, I would do three things:

1. Earn as much money as possible
2. Spend as little money as possible
3. Invest!

I have a buddy who did just that. Never wanted to party, never went out to bars, never went on vacations, never bought fancy cars. A few years ago he paid cash for a $500k house. I fully expect he'll be retired by the time he's 50.
ToddM
Posted 8/30/2017 10:44 AM (#876075 - in reply to #874914)

Get a job thats gets you a future. Pension, benefits after retirement.

Edited by ToddM 8/30/2017 10:45 AM
Pepper
Posted 8/30/2017 10:53 AM (#876078 - in reply to #874914)

As someone that makes hiring decisions if I had a candidate that told me he took the summer after graduation to go out and have fun fishing and is now looking for a job I would tell him to look elsewhere. U should have had your fun last summer and the summer before that.
Flambeauski
Posted 8/30/2017 10:55 AM (#876079 - in reply to #874914)

Go get a f***ing job already.

For the reasons others have stated AND
A: your life is currently a vacation compared to what it will be in 10 years, so you will appreciate time away more later in life.
B: you will put a hell of a lot more fish in the boat when you have some more experience on the water.
Lundbob
Posted 8/30/2017 2:12 PM (#876103 - in reply to #874914)

Awesome thread. I have to agree with most of the posts. Get the job and start your career in whatever you enjoy. Stay as debt free as possible. And get started with a 401k ASAP. Fishing opportunities will always be there. If you do all of the things mentioned above you will be able to buy a place on LOTW and not have a care in the world and still be young enough to enjoy it.
Jeremy
Posted 8/30/2017 2:51 PM (#876107 - in reply to #876072)

esoxaddict - 8/30/2017 10:18 AM

Wise advice above. Very wise... I fished 50 - 100 days a year during and just out of college. I fished 50-100 days a year for years after that. I was lucky to have a decent job, with 8 weeks pf paid time off by the time the company went under. Spent 6 weeks up North every year, week in Canada, and a week in Florida fishing.

While I would not give those memories back for anything, I woke up one day unemployed, 40 years old, no house, little retirement, $20k to my name, and no real job prospects because I dedicated my life to playing during the 20 years when I should have been busting my butt and socking away money for retirement.

Man, I had fun. But now I look at my parents. They've been retired for 20 years, they will never have to worry about money, and they're having a blast. Every day is a party because they can go wherever they want and do whatever they want. Their only job is staying healthy enough to continue partying like rock stars.

I don't necessarily regret my 20 year vacation. But breaking your ass working 12 hour days/weekends is a LOT different when you're 50 than it is when you're 25. And I won't likely have the luxury of retiring. If I could go back to my 20's or even my 30's, I would do three things:

1. Earn as much money as possible
2. Spend as little money as possible
3. Invest!

I have a buddy who did just that. Never wanted to party, never went out to bars, never went on vacations, never bought fancy cars. A few years ago he paid cash for a $500k house. I fully expect he'll be retired by the time he's 50.

To the O.P. - read this very carefully, then read it again. Then put it to use.

Get your education ASAP, find a job(s) that will allow you to put away a min. of 15% in company investment programs and if/when you get laid off work 3 jobs until you can resume doing this instead of touching it. You'll find you won't miss it after awhile!

Trust this...
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/30/2017 2:56 PM (#876108 - in reply to #874914)

I caught more fish in college than I do now. I also got C's, but I got my degree! Fish on!

Seriously though, I have a great job that provides a bunch of vacation which I burn up on fishing and deer hunting. It should be like this the rest of my life, which makes happy.
Lorin
Posted 8/30/2017 3:03 PM (#876109 - in reply to #874914)
Subject: RE: If you had to do it all again...

You may have missed the boat – any summer off should be taken before your senior year. Take the summer after graduation off and forfeit part of your future. A senior summer off on a resume likely gets the resume put on the “Other” pile never to be seen again. Pay special attention to the comments of NathanH, T3clay, Slamr, jwheeler, and ToddM .

Why did you go to college? Hopefully, it was to learn something that interests you and to find a position in that field. If not, you may have wasted your money and the instructors’ time.

Your job during your senior year is: continue to get good grades; get to know your instructors so that they will be able to provide references; learn to write an effective resume (the paperwork only gets you in the door for an interview); learn and practice interviewing skills.
NathanH
Posted 8/30/2017 3:11 PM (#876110 - in reply to #876103)

What you do in the next 10 years will determine for the most part what kind of life you will live and what kind of life any future spouse or children will have. There are always exceptions but they are rare.
happy hooker
Posted 8/30/2017 3:36 PM (#876113 - in reply to #876110)

Go to southern cal and surf for the summer,,the only "wish I" that I regret,,or whatever YOU Repeat YOU want.
You are only young once theres a "value" in that too not just preparing to hit 62 to retire or the prospect of obtaining more material things .
There's no guarantee that the fishery or your health will be there latter in life. I'm 59 and I've seen many things disappear from my youth that I wish I'd have spent more time doing, pheasant hunting the way the population used to be,brook trout streams,muscle car racing when you could do it every night. "Hell I wish I'd have called in sick more just 7 years ago when the muskie fishing here in twin cities metro was almost a sure thing"
Genie in a bottle offers me a million or that summer in California I wish I took ,, and the beach wins.

Edited by happy hooker 8/30/2017 3:48 PM
Tommis
Posted 8/30/2017 3:58 PM (#876117 - in reply to #874914)

Speaking from my own experience, don't screw around... I'll leave it at that for any of the above posters nailed it with the future needing to be taken seriously. I'm 5 years behind now and compounding interest is an amazing thing that I wasted... To the OP, I'm 25 and already regretting it...

Edited by Tommis 8/30/2017 3:59 PM
NickD
Posted 8/30/2017 4:07 PM (#876119 - in reply to #876113)

I'd advise against the summer off as you should have done that last summer. Get set up with a good career. Start SAVING and LIVING. Plan for the future and live for today. One of my good college buddies came home not feeling well one day and was dead a week later at age 28 leaving a 5 month old and a wife. That can happen to anybody so be sure to enjoy today. But saving and preparing is just as important so that when your spouse gets cancer later in life the treatments don't bankrupt you. Do your best to find the best balance for you and life will treat you well. Only thing I would change in the past is the drinking would have stopped in 2002 instead of 2012. Turns out that the beers had little to do with the fun times.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)