Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> DIY Lure Box

Message Subject: DIY Lure Box
AFChief
Posted 8/30/2003 3:31 PM (#80230)
Subject: DIY Lure Box

I followed the suggestions on this and other threads and built two bait boxes with my son. I built one out of an old styrofoam cooler and the other out of a $9.00 hanging file folder box I found at Wal*Mart. I used the PVC gutter downspout as inserts. Both turned out great and I had a great time working this as a project with my son. I tried to cut the PVC with a circular saw but ended up using a mitre saw insttead. Cuts were good but I had to trim off a few burrs that the saw left. Total cost for both boxes was under $25 bucks. The Cooler holds baits up to 14" and the folder box can hold baits up to 10". The box came with a lid that provides an extra one inch clearance at the top. Took less than two hours to put together. My son wants to build one for himself so he can store and collect muskie lures for himself. Thanks for the suggestions.... OBTW, my son knows I am a fan of Muskie First and asked that we post these pictures, I think he wanted his pic on the web....

Chief

Edited by AFChief 8/30/2003 4:32 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Mitre Box.JPG)

(Cooler Assembly.JPG)

(File Box Complete.JPG)

(Greg with Finished Bait Box.JPG)

(Two Finished Bait Boxes.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Mitre Box.JPG (24KB - 213 downloads)
Attachments Cooler Assembly.JPG (19KB - 598 downloads)
Attachments File Box Complete.JPG (25KB - 780 downloads)
Attachments Greg with Finished Bait Box.JPG (16KB - 217 downloads)
Attachments Two Finished Bait Boxes.JPG (21KB - 943 downloads)
slimm
Posted 8/30/2003 4:17 PM (#80231 - in reply to #80230)
Subject: RE: DIY Lure Box

Nice job.
sworrall
Posted 9/1/2003 3:30 PM (#80302 - in reply to #80231)

Very cool tackle boxes. Are the tops of the containers water tight?
AFChief
Posted 9/1/2003 3:47 PM (#80306 - in reply to #80230)

Sworrall, unfortualtely no. Water resistant yes. The cooler is pretty old, it has a built in rubber strap that I can pull over the lid. With the lid on it will keep the rain out. I tested it and it does float fully loaded but it won't keep the water out long if it went overboard (if it were to roll top down). The lid on the file folder box will keep water out such as rain and it has a couple of vent holes under the the molded-in handles. The top snaps on snug but again not water proof. I wouldn't want to lose this over the side. I plan on putting a handle on it with a cover strap so the lid doesn't pop off if dropped.

Chief

Chief
onelastcast
Posted 9/1/2003 9:00 PM (#80325 - in reply to #80230)

Nice job!! One idea (if I may), would be to drill a few drainage holes in the bottom in case any water did get in. Glad to see the next generation is interested and taking part.
Tight Lines
AFChief
Posted 9/1/2003 9:06 PM (#80326 - in reply to #80230)

Great idea. Thanks
Bmblbe
Posted 9/2/2003 1:21 PM (#80374 - in reply to #80230)

Your boxes look great. I recommend putting in A LOT of vent holes in the plastic box. If you don't, you will be changing out a bunch of rusted hooks by next year. Also, it is a good idea to store it with the cover off or make sure your lures are completely dry before storing. One other thing, the paint on one of my Hawg Wobblers had a real problem when stored in PVC a number of years ago. Not sure if they have changed the formula in their paint but you may want to use caution for a while.

Mark
AFChief
Posted 9/2/2003 5:10 PM (#80389 - in reply to #80230)

Mark, great suggestions thanks. I put a bunch more vent holes in the folder box and am overly cautious about putting away wet lures. I am going to put a hager on the outside so I can hang lures until dry. I too was wondering if the PVC would react with any of my lures. I pulled all my baits out and have a few test baits sitting on top of PVC to see if there is any reaction. I was more concerned with my plastic baits than my jerks/cranks that have a clearcoat. Thanks for the heads up.
Chief
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)