Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> New Yam lower unit issue

Reply New post
Message Subject: New Yam lower unit issue
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/13/2017 9:44 AM (#874082)
Subject: New Yam lower unit issue

Greetings, I repowered my ranger 690T 9 years ago with a Yamaha 90. While I could use a bit more power at times, have been very happy with adequately quick hole shot, and 35mph with two guys/gear.

I hit a stump awhile back at low trolling speed which killed the motor. Over time, the gears eventually started to severely 'grind'. I took to my Marina where was determined I needed a lower unit. Today was the first time out with it, and I could hardly get on plane with wife and kids which has never been an issue, with top speed reduced. No other setting was changed, and my prop wasn't damaged, as I was still getting same performance just after hitting the stump. The motor is very smooth, but just not seeing the power/take off/speed that I was before my old gear case went.

Is it possible that there is a different gear ratio in this new unit? It 'looks' the same as the old one sans the new paint. Just hoping to remedy this soon before my Canada trip.

Thanks much for any insight.
pklingen
Posted 8/13/2017 8:02 PM (#874146 - in reply to #874082)
Subject: Re: New Yam lower unit issue

oh YES!
muskyhunter47
Posted 8/13/2017 10:31 PM (#874165 - in reply to #874146)

Did you do the repair or a dealership . If dealership contact the ones that did the job and ask.
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/14/2017 6:25 AM (#874177 - in reply to #874082)
Subject: RE: New Yam lower unit issue

I'll be checking in with them tomorrow upon getting home from northwoods, where I tried my aluminum prop up there, with same issue. I'll keep working on the solution. Thanks.
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/16/2017 7:19 PM (#874580 - in reply to #874082)

I dug some more into this, spending some hours at my local dealer(Galles Marine) here today. After spending some time finding someone competent to speak with at Yamaha, it was determined that the part number for the gear case is different than the old one. It was then determined that the gear ratio is slightly different than what my old one was(I believe the numbers were 2.33 vs 2.77 but it was difficult to read his chicken scratch). It was determined that I'll need to start experimenting with propping, which is unfortunate, as I really had the boat dialed in, which anyone else that owns an underpowered large glass tiller knows, is not an easy task. I'm fairly certain I'll need to drop a pitch and perhaps move into a 4 blade prop. Currently I'm running a Power Tech 16 pitch semi cleavered, slight cup modification. I'm also installing a new tach to assist in this endeavor, and to achieve optimal performance, hopefully before Canada. Anyhow, just wanted to circle back with what I found in that while the issue isn't 'fixed' I have a path forward.
pklingen
Posted 8/16/2017 8:14 PM (#874589 - in reply to #874082)

man that sucks!
curleytail
Posted 8/16/2017 9:24 PM (#874601 - in reply to #874082)

I'm guessing you asked, but is there any chance to get your gears or lower unit replaced again with your old gear ratio? I don't suppose it was a fault of the shop, and the gear ratio on the new available parts is different? Bummer on the cost and head ache of having to re prop. Always right before a big trip. My trim motor died over 4th of July weekend a week before I was heading to Vermilion this year...
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/17/2017 11:27 AM (#874652 - in reply to #874082)

It doesn't sound as though I'll have any recourse in terms of additional work to recreate the original gearing.
wallygator
Posted 8/18/2017 6:02 AM (#874737 - in reply to #874082)

Reef Hawg back when I ran a Yamaha .. bought the rig from Mid State in Fremont. The guy who set the the boat up was really sharp. I think it was Tom. Maybe he could get you on the right track..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)