Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Summer temps

Message Subject: Summer temps
River2Stream
Posted 8/11/2017 12:59 PM (#873949)
Subject: Summer temps

It's now time for a moral debate ----- With all of the rain and cooler temps (especially at night) down here in WV, I didn't take the summer hiatus from fishing. Some guys did. But that being said, the water temps aren't 80 most days, but they hover anywhere in low 70s in the morning to high 70s in the eve. I cant speak about the lake temps because I've been focusing on rivers/creeks. What would you do ???
tkuntz
Posted 8/11/2017 1:52 PM (#873955 - in reply to #873949)
Subject: Re: Summer temps

70s Fish it. If it's 80+ stay home.
muskyman1122
Posted 8/11/2017 8:36 PM (#873975 - in reply to #873949)
Subject: RE: Summer temps

I fish up into high 70s then take a break for a while. Even in the high 70s you have to be careful and take your time with the fish.
Unionski
Posted 8/11/2017 11:47 PM (#873992 - in reply to #873975)
Subject: RE: Summer temps

There is no magic number. I had a a fish die on me in 78 degree water. It swollowed a bucktail almost to the blades. Obviously took too long to release. If you need someone to assure you to start fishing then use the 80 degree rule. Too many factors to consider. Health and age of the fish etc. I was too surprised on how high water temps effect those fish. Too make a long story short, after finding the fish, which after about 2 minutes of catching swam away, belly up hitting the rocks on a shore made a good day kind of a sucky one. I know its only fish but the picture wasnt pretty. Couldnt even take it cuz it was only 36 inches with a legal size of 48. And I also had all necessary tools but had very hard time to even get the cutters down the throat with the mouth opened by spreaders. After that I stop fishing if it gets close to 80 but again its your choice. If the season is open youre not doing anything wrong or illegal I should say. I guess you have to experience it by yourself.

Edited by Unionski 8/12/2017 12:07 AM
Matt DeVos
Posted 8/13/2017 1:09 PM (#874101 - in reply to #873949)

I believe there was an article in a recent MH magazine by Jordan Weeks on this topic, if you want an actual biologist's perspective.
J_mich
Posted 8/13/2017 3:25 PM (#874119 - in reply to #874101)

Matt DeVos - 8/13/2017 1:09 PM

I believe there was an article in a recent MH magazine by Jordan Weeks on this topic, if you want an actual biologist's perspective.

Wouldn't that be nice Matt? Unfortunately they'll say he's wrong. #*^@ Masters Degree means nothing to the fish pontificators.
esox911
Posted 8/13/2017 3:36 PM (#874120 - in reply to #873949)

FISH !! When you can--whenever you're time allows... Water Temps in the Upper Midwest -- I would think NEVER get to warm for Musky Fishing. Handle and release with Care---and they will live--- Could a small percentage Die--I would say YES___ but that can and does happen all year long regardless of the temps..... Hey-- We are casting and trolling large lures with up to 3 treble hooks --We have all hooked fish deep in the throat-gills and eyes--- just part of fishing for them...... BUT YOU have to love the guys who forget about this and only worry about water temps---FOOLS if you ask me...... Fish them--- Handle with care---CPR and that's it... OR QUIT FISHING FOR THEM--- We have all killed them whether we like to admit it or not.
Unionski
Posted 8/13/2017 7:03 PM (#874135 - in reply to #874120)

I dont think that West Virginia is a part of upper Midwest. Then why all the release tools etc. Use circle hooks cuz they hook the best. Preech what you say. Seems like many people are worried about the fish only when they enter this forum. Just saying. Personal preference. I fish the lake where the population is very low and more I can do to preserve as many as possible, Ill just do that. It just amazes me how so many topics are here to preserve the fish, and how the Musky fishermen have so much respect for the species, and then when season opens, especially during the hot summer weather, everyone seems to quite down.
Unionski
Posted 8/13/2017 10:03 PM (#874163 - in reply to #874135)

VW; Volkswagen. WV ; West Virginia. Muah.

Edited by Unionski 8/13/2017 10:42 PM
TannerAE
Posted 8/14/2017 2:48 PM (#874261 - in reply to #873949)

I dont think anything is really set in stone. Some people are very religious when it comes to that 80 degree mark. I don't like fishing in 80 degree water but i do every once in a while. When I do fish the water when it is warm I try to "horse" the fish into the net so it is as green as possible. Once it is in the net the clock is ticking to get it unhooked, photo taken and back in the water. I also dont usually bother measuring them unless I think they are really big due to the fact it just takes longer. IMO fishing a warm lake can be less dangerous than fishing a equally warm river just becouse the fish in the river a lot of time has to fight or a least use its fins more to keep itself upright against the current, meaning it spends more energy. So far the fish I have caught in 80 degree water have had no problem swimming back to the deeper cooler water. The only reason i dont like fishing warm water is that you definitely are rolling the dice if the fish is hooked bad. So far I have never had to revive a fish longer than 10 seconds before it swam away and have never found them belly up in the same spot the next day. If you dont feel comfortable fishing for them in warm water then don't do it, but if you know where your hook cutters are and your camera is close by then in my experience the fish will be fine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)