Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Sucker rigs from shore

Message Subject: Sucker rigs from shore
MNFisherman
Posted 7/19/2017 8:33 PM (#870788)
Subject: Sucker rigs from shore

Can someone explain how I go about this or not? I want to fish with some suckers and I've heard you wait till they run then get over them and stick em but how do I go about this from shore? There's no way to get on top of them were I fish. Sucker rig or not?
Pointerpride102
Posted 7/19/2017 8:42 PM (#870791 - in reply to #870788)
Subject: Re: Sucker rigs from shore

Work with what you've got, if a fish hits set the hook. You win some, you lose some but that's not much different than in a boat either.

If you're fishing current, use a planar board to get them out away from shore.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 7/19/2017 8:49 PM (#870793 - in reply to #870788)

I think your biggest problem with fishing suckers from shore is getting them out to the fish. You don't need to be right over them to set hooks although it would be ideal. Don't know where you are located and what the laws are but places around me require a quick strike on baits over 8". Try using pike suckers. They are same thing but only about 5"-6" (much cheaper too). Those guys are easy enough to toss out quite a ways. Make sure you lob them, don't snap cast them.

If you use the smaller ones, (and a quick strike rig isn't required by you) make sure to use a regular hook (if hooking in the nose) or use a treble (if hooking in the back). Don't fool around with circle hooks I've had 30" pike slurp up a 5" sucker in seconds and circle hooks don't work great in a fishes stomach. I find it easier to cast with the bait hooked in the nose. I've used just one regular hook in the nose and it stays on good. If you go this route, (same with treble in back) DO NOT WAIT TO SET THE HOOK set it right after that bobber stays down for a second or two and it's obvious it's a fish. The bait is small enough that you will get them 99% of the time. And it's always better to lose a fish than kill one. Especially if you get lucky enough to catch a muskie. Good luck !
ToddM
Posted 7/19/2017 9:30 PM (#870801 - in reply to #870788)

Do a search. You can find some 15 year old contentious debate over this one.
North of 8
Posted 7/19/2017 10:05 PM (#870807 - in reply to #870788)

There was a piece on the TV show "Due North" where the host went fishing with a couple guys who fished suckers without a boat. They had on waders, took a chair into the lake with them to set the rod on and they did an easy lob with a musky sized sucker. You might want to see if you can find that archived somewhere, they seemed to have a good system.
Pike Master
Posted 7/19/2017 10:06 PM (#870808 - in reply to #870793)

Musky_Mo16 - 7/19/2017 8:49 PM

I think your biggest problem with fishing suckers from shore is getting them out to the fish. You don't need to be right over them to set hooks although it would be ideal. Don't know where you are located and what the laws are but places around me require a quick strike on baits over 8". Try using pike suckers. They are same thing but only about 5"-6" (much cheaper too). Those guys are easy enough to toss out quite a ways. Make sure you lob them, don't snap cast them.

If you use the smaller ones, (and a quick strike rig isn't required by you) make sure to use a regular hook (if hooking in the nose) or use a treble (if hooking in the back). Don't fool around with circle hooks I've had 30" pike slurp up a 5" sucker in seconds and circle hooks don't work great in a fishes stomach. I find it easier to cast with the bait hooked in the nose. I've used just one regular hook in the nose and it stays on good. If you go this route, (same with treble in back) DO NOT WAIT TO SET THE HOOK set it right after that bobber stays down for a second or two and it's obvious it's a fish. The bait is small enough that you will get them 99% of the time. And it's always better to lose a fish than kill one. Especially if you get lucky enough to catch a muskie. Good luck !

You certainly give a lot of advice for a guy who hasn't caught his first muskie yet! LOL!!
Musky_Mo16
Posted 7/19/2017 11:26 PM (#870813 - in reply to #870808)

Pike Master - 7/19/2017 10:06 PM
You certainly give a lot of advice for a guy who hasn't caught his first muskie yet! LOL!!

Just general fishing tips, never said I was a pro. I fish like that in river for pike. I don't see why it wouldn't work for muskie. I don't need to catch a muskie to tell you if a reel handles double tens good, or if I prefer one line over another. I guess I got to get out and catch one so I can get my muskie diploma and certify everything I say. Lol! You've got to realize that most stuff on this forum isn't "correct" it's just people's opinion and the guy looking for advice can go through and pick what he thinks would be best for him.
6 months ago I didn't know the benefits of using one leader material over the other, and I'll admit that, we all learned at one point, most of the stuff I learned about muskie fishing I learned from this forum, it's a great place to learn, lots of good opinions and ideas. I don't see what wrong with taking what I learned and offering that same knowledge to someone else who's having a problem. Like that idea of using a planer board to get the bait out in current. That's genius I never though of that and I might give it a shot next time I'm fishing in a river. Is that the "right" way to do it? No. Is it a good way to do it? Sure. And hey, if I like the way that planer board helps carry my bait out then I might also recommend that idea to other people on and off the forum.

I don't want to start a keyboard war here but come on, we are just trying to help each other out.
MNFisherman
Posted 7/19/2017 11:45 PM (#870814 - in reply to #870813)

I saw 2 yesterday within 10 feet of me distance isn't an issue
Potomac
Posted 7/20/2017 4:42 AM (#870815 - in reply to #870788)

Where I fish we catch our live bait by hook n worm. Normally it's a creek chub or a bluegill. Once in awhile we will get a 6-8 inch sucker or carp. But I have found that it is alot easier to use a single hook in the nose bait than it is using a rig of some sort. Also make sure you are using a slip bobber.
25homes
Posted 7/20/2017 11:20 AM (#870860 - in reply to #870815)

Potomac - 7/20/2017 4:42 AM

Where I fish we catch our live bait by hook n worm. Normally it's a creek chub or a bluegill. Once in awhile we will get a 6-8 inch sucker or carp. But I have found that it is alot easier to use a single hook in the nose bait than it is using a rig of some sort. Also make sure you are using a slip bobber.

we do the same and from same place or general place...funny thing for me I have had zero action on Creek Chubs and have used some large ones had some as big as 8-9 inches and lots in the 6-7 inch range but never had a Muskie or Pike hit them actually nothing ever hit them but a bass and cats...I have tank in my house to hold few hundred chubs and thinking about bagging it all together just huge waste of time for me never get anything out of them maybe you have had more luck or hopefully..
MNFisherman
Posted 7/20/2017 3:41 PM (#870895 - in reply to #870788)

You guys ever use bluegills?
MuskyMatt71
Posted 7/21/2017 12:04 PM (#871001 - in reply to #870788)

It's illegal to use a bluegills as live bait in MN.
MNFisherman
Posted 7/21/2017 9:37 PM (#871079 - in reply to #870788)

Yea I know I'm in Illinois right now
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)