Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> help with bulldogs

Message Subject: help with bulldogs
FishFearMe
Posted 7/18/2017 12:11 AM (#870531)
Subject: help with bulldogs

I am new to fishing big plastics. I bought a couple pounders but I can't seem to get them to retrieve properly. They keep rolling to the side or getting the front hook caught on the leader. I think its a problem with the equipment I am using. What type/length of leader should I be using? I am using 80 lb power pro with a 7 foot heavy action rod.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 7/18/2017 12:27 AM (#870532 - in reply to #870531)
Subject: Re: help with bulldogs

Solid wire leaders will prevent the front hook from getting tangled while jerking the bait. Not sure about the rolling, could be a good thing, it's different.
miket55
Posted 7/18/2017 3:53 AM (#870538 - in reply to #870531)

I had the same issue awhile back, someone suggested I bend the nose down a bit... It worked.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/18/2017 4:24 AM (#870539 - in reply to #870531)

Are they pro dawgs? Those will do that
tackleaddict
Posted 7/18/2017 6:08 AM (#870542 - in reply to #870531)

Casting with more line out so it throws like a trebuchet (sp?) helped me, along with thumbing the spool more towards the end of the cast.
curleytail
Posted 7/18/2017 6:41 AM (#870543 - in reply to #870531)

Do you know if the front hook is getting wrapped on the cast or during the retrieve? If on the cast thumbing the spool hard near the end of the cast usually straightens them out and keeps them from tangling.

Otherwise, I've used both single strand 174 pound steel leaders and 150 pound fluoro leaders with no issues. Are you fishing them with a lot of slack line after the pull and long pauses perhaps?
Tackle Industries
Posted 7/18/2017 3:09 PM (#870629 - in reply to #870531)

Remember, the musky and pike could care less.... Best thing a guide once told me is "If a dawg comes in perfect then I bend it up until it comes in wild like and then I will boat some musky on it for sure"...
FishFearMe
Posted 7/18/2017 3:24 PM (#870633 - in reply to #870531)
Subject: RE: help with bulldogs

I think I have the casting with extra line out down pretty good, so I'm pretty confident that the bait is hitting the water without any tangling issues. I was getting in two or three pulls before I had problems, so something was going wrong in the retrieve.

I'm not positive how much slack line I had between pulls. I would think it doesn't matter that much how much slack line or if the pause is a little long? Wouldn't the bait sink a lot faster than the leader so a slightly longer pause should have no impact?

I will definitely try bending the nose down and see if that helps.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 7/18/2017 3:38 PM (#870635 - in reply to #870633)

FishFearMe - 7/18/2017 3:24 PM

I think I have the casting with extra line out down pretty good, so I'm pretty confident that the bait is hitting the water without any tangling issues. I was getting in two or three pulls before I had problems, so something was going wrong in the retrieve.

I'm not positive how much slack line I had between pulls. I would think it doesn't matter that much how much slack line or if the pause is a little long? Wouldn't the bait sink a lot faster than the leader so a slightly longer pause should have no impact?

Even though the bait sinks faster than the leader it can still over run any extra line left in the water. I had this problem a ton and switching to the solid wire helped a ton. Heavy floro is probably just as good.

Also when you rip the dawg, keep your rod up where you ripped it to so you don't leave a bunch of slack in the water. Kind of hard for me to explain but you will figure it out. Rip the dog and keep you rod up and reel the slack up slowly going back to the bait. Don't rip and then drop your rod back down because that leaves slack. It also leaves you less connected with the bait.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 7/18/2017 4:25 PM (#870637 - in reply to #870635)

1) thumb the spool before the bait hits the water, the bait will "hit the brakes" and lay out nicely before it hits water. This will help.
2) keep the slack out of your line always. Always stay feeling the dawg. This will help.
3) purchase a longer rod. This will help.
miket55
Posted 7/18/2017 5:24 PM (#870644 - in reply to #870633)

FishFearMe - 7/18/2017 4:24 PM

Clarification... that should take care of the "roll"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)