Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Forest Lake Guide

Message Subject: Forest Lake Guide
bloodhound
Posted 7/15/2017 7:31 AM (#870209)
Subject: Forest Lake Guide

Hey guys,

I moved to Forest Lake MN a year and a half ago and its supposed to be a decent muskie lake but I have not had a ton of time to fish it yet. 90% of my boat time locally is on big marine fishing for bass and pike because my wife just likes doing that better.

To make my limited muskie fishing time more productive I was thinking it might be worth it to hire a guide for a half day trip to teach me that lake and what works here. I think I could take it from there and do alright (I am by no means an experienced muskie fisherman but not new to the sport either and fished them a lot before I moved here and my wife started getting interested in fishing).

Any recommendations on a guide, or on just fishing that particular lake.
mnmusky
Posted 7/15/2017 8:55 AM (#870217 - in reply to #870209)
Subject: Re: Forest Lake Guide

Id put most of my eggs in lake 3 basket.
happy hooker
Posted 7/15/2017 9:02 AM (#870218 - in reply to #870209)
Subject: RE: Forest Lake Guide

Ryan McMahon is a well know guide who writes in musky hunter and frequent s the tv show. He specializes in the east side,,just Google him.
Also there are two muskies Inc chapters that have leagues and outings on forest where you could learn info,,both clubs have many husband wives members.
Espy
Posted 7/15/2017 9:51 AM (#870222 - in reply to #870209)

Join Muskies Inc and fish their league nights, meet lots of local guys and learn a ton about local lakes. North Metro MI fishes there a few times a year during league and chapter outings. Lots of knowledgeable guys that have the lake dialed in.
bloodhound
Posted 7/15/2017 12:25 PM (#870239 - in reply to #870209)

Actually I like the idea of joining muskies inc rather than hiring the guide. Do you just join the general one or a specific chapter? Or if you just join muskies inc can you participate with either chapter?
NathanH
Posted 7/15/2017 12:35 PM (#870240 - in reply to #870239)

You can join the chapter that best fits you being north the north metro muskies meet in Coon rapids at the VFW. The other meets in Bloomington. Your welcome at both chapters, often meetings are mixed attendance.
esoxlazer
Posted 7/15/2017 1:00 PM (#870246 - in reply to #870209)

If you're going to go the route of hiring a guide, I'd recommend Ryan McMahon. I hired him when I moved to the metro and he spent 12+hrs in crappy weather on 3 different lakes going over seasonal patterns/spots/productive tactics and baits with me. I told him exactly what I was looking to learn and that I really didn't care about catching a fish that day and he was great about it. We did end up putting 1 in the boat, but the info he shared that day got me kickstarted and confident in what I'm now doing out here in the north metro. It would certainly be money well spent. www.twincitiesmusky.com

I'm normally fishing solo, so feel free to shoot me a PM and I can get you out one of these days and show you around a bit out there and on some of the other lakes if you're interested. Like others have also said, joining Muskies Inc and attending some meetings will be an awesome step in the right direction...you'll meet some great guys and fishermen that'll be willing to help get you pointed in the right direction. There's also a lot of good information here if you search through some of the archived fishing reports and threads. I believe most of those threads were labled "TC Metro Reports" or something similar.

I think a half day with a guide in addition to getting involved with the local guys through MI would be money well spent and shorten the learning curve by quite a bit. Good luck!!!

- Eric
happy hooker
Posted 7/16/2017 2:14 AM (#870319 - in reply to #870246)

Bloodhound
The twin cities chapters next meeting is in August and one of our most popular,,it is our annual picnic,,open to the public no charge,the club cooks burgers an brats and people bring a small potluck item. Lots of metro muskie guys and Usually a couple guides there to pick the brains of. It will be the second Tuesday in august.
Google twin cities muskies Inc to look at newsletters and info on the club.
Twin cities chapter meets the second Tuesday of every month
North metro the third Tuesday
People from both chapters attend each one if they like.
Espy
Posted 7/17/2017 11:08 AM (#870433 - in reply to #870239)

bloodhound - 7/15/2017 12:25 PM

Actually I like the idea of joining muskies inc rather than hiring the guide. Do you just join the general one or a specific chapter? Or if you just join muskies inc can you participate with either chapter?

You join specific chapters, but can attend meetings for any really. We have many guys show up to the North Metro meetings and vice versa. Things like league nights are chapter specific however.

The North Metro chapter has a pretty outstanding league setup and is an easy way to meet other members and learn lakes. Starts back up in August and members get bonus points for taking along new members as an incentive to get the new guys involved.
bloodhound
Posted 7/17/2017 5:45 PM (#870493 - in reply to #870433)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will definitely join the north metro chapter.

Eric I may take you up on your offer as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)