Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Dude, you lost your bling" Kly
- (Added by: tomyv)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Finally bucktails I can be proud of !

Message Subject: Finally bucktails I can be proud of !
laker1
Posted 7/2/2017 10:01 AM (#867453)
Subject: Finally bucktails I can be proud of !

Nice!

Finally made some that I can be proud of, so I would like to share. Gonna test these out this weekend. All, the bottom bodies are built to swing - shimmer with the slightest bit of bump or vibration because they 're connected in the Mepps Musky Killer style with a salt water split ring. (The bodies are made of flash and tinsel.) I am especially interested in the red Electric Bunny creation modelled after lures made by the Shumway brothers in Wisconsin. The top has feathers accented with marabou. The red colour with brass blades is recommended by Dick Pearson author of Muskies on the Shield. (LOTW)
Good luck fishing everyone!
jim

Sent from my iPad
laker1
Posted 7/2/2017 10:13 AM (#867455 - in reply to #867453)
Subject: RE: Finally bucktails I can be proud of !

Sorry everyone I am not a computer person and despite best efforts can not upload from my iPad.

For the record I really appreciate the art work that all of you have shown, very inspirational!
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 7/2/2017 11:30 AM (#867459 - in reply to #867455)
Subject: Re: Finally bucktails I can be proud of !

pm sent
T3clay
Posted 7/3/2017 4:42 PM (#867581 - in reply to #867453)

Send me a few baits and i will take pictures of them and upload the pictures.... will let you know how the run in the water too
laker1
Posted 7/4/2017 5:23 PM (#867683 - in reply to #867581)

Another try to post my creation.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpeg (116KB - 620 downloads)
Musky_Mo16
Posted 7/4/2017 6:54 PM (#867694 - in reply to #867683)

Those are sweet, I like that red one with the little bit of marabou above the flash. I hear those red and copper/gold bucktails are killers on LOTW

What size blades did you use? Also what size is that body peice that goes by the beads, I don't know what it's called.

Edited by Musky_Mo16 7/4/2017 6:57 PM
laker1
Posted 7/4/2017 10:27 PM (#867714 - in reply to #867453)

Thank you Mo16.
The blades are 10s one from Luremaking.com and the other a Boobie Trap from Northland.
I just used what I had on hand but hope the blades differ slightly in either weight or thickness for increased vibration in the water. The brass spinner body is 1 1/5 inches long from luremaking.com.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 7/5/2017 1:21 AM (#867721 - in reply to #867714)

laker1 - 7/4/2017 10:27 PM

Thank you Mo16.
The blades are 10s one from Luremaking.com and the other a Boobie Trap from Northland.
I just used what I had on hand but hope the blades differ slightly in either weight or thickness for increased vibration in the water. The brass spinner body is 1 1/5 inches long from luremaking.com.

Thanks for the info Jim. I'm sure you'll kill them on those baits. I've been considering making my own for a while but when I'm starting from scratch it's a little intimidating. I'm defiantly going to make a red one like the one you made, that's a awesome looking bait. But I mostly want to make my own versions of the kramer front end loaders. How did you twist the wire? Did you buy the little kit (that I think is absolutely ridiculously over priced) or did you make your own version? I think that my only wall stopping me from making my own bucktails. I need a way to be able to efficiently twist that wire and there's no way I'm paying $100 for a bucktail twister
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 7/5/2017 1:55 AM (#867724 - in reply to #867721)

Nice! Where did you get the green blades? Musky Mo, get a pair of round nosed pliers, or jewelry pliers. No need for a twister for hobby building.
laker1
Posted 7/6/2017 9:17 PM (#868045 - in reply to #867453)

Mo16, I am currently using the Dubro jig for bucktails. I have used pliers but this works best for me. Some people have more manual dexterity than others. The Dubro system is very simple and works well for my friends and myself.

ARmuskymuskyaddict, I think my girls bought the green blades for me from Rollie and Helens, last Christmas.
bigbite
Posted 7/7/2017 7:47 AM (#868089 - in reply to #868045)

Laker 1 if I could make a simple suggestion, less flashabou is better than more when it comes to the undulating action that these bucktails are noted for.

Edited by bigbite 7/7/2017 7:47 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)