Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> New to Petenwell flowage

Message Subject: New to Petenwell flowage
muskyhunter07
Posted 7/2/2017 1:27 AM (#867439)
Subject: New to Petenwell flowage

Hi guys,

I'll be headed up to the Petenwell in a couple days any tips baits I should bring and key areas to look for these elusive esox thanks. Not looking for any secret info just some basic tips on where to start.
Pointerpride102
Posted 7/2/2017 4:03 PM (#867477 - in reply to #867439)
Subject: Re: New to Petenwell flowage

See if Todd Forcier is available for a day, he'll dial you in.
tyler k
Posted 7/3/2017 9:37 AM (#867537 - in reply to #867439)

Forcier is a good guy and knows that water like no one else.

I like brights and whites for colors. I fish the north end in the spring sometimes. Water is high and unusually cold for this time of year so I'd bet the creek arms and sloughs I fish then hold some fish right now as well. If water is lower and warmer fish channel adjacent stuff. The Sportsman's Guide map book has a good write up and marked spots from Forcier.
Reef Hawg
Posted 7/3/2017 10:34 AM (#867545 - in reply to #867439)
Subject: RE: New to Petenwell flowage

PM sent with Todd's contact. Bite has been decent, albeit fish are a bit spread out in the flowage proper and not holding to typical early july patterns, with the cool weather/water. The lakemaster chip is solid for Pete, with only some of the upriver sandbars having shifted since the mapping.
muskyhunter07
Posted 7/8/2017 12:58 PM (#868227 - in reply to #867439)

Thanks for the info guys hope to head up soon. I was also told to fish barnum bay? is that a true location?
kdebell
Posted 7/10/2017 7:37 AM (#869423 - in reply to #868227)

I only fish Barnum Bay early in the season. I would focus your time below dams and the current breaks. My wife got a nice fish there on Friday. Usually get a chance or two when I am there.
North of 8
Posted 7/10/2017 8:19 AM (#869429 - in reply to #867439)

It is always great to hear folks are fishing on Petenwell and catching game fish. Growing up in Wis. Rapids back in the 1960s, the Wis. River was an industrial sewer and while there were some fish in Petenwell, besides carp, it was not a place most people wanted to be. In the late 1960s I shot a mallard on opening day of duck season, gutted it on the spot and tried to cook it when I got home. Had to toss in garbage can, it smelled so strongly of the sulfide used in the paper making process. After that I only hunted there late in the season when I knew the ducks were migrating birds, not resident. I wish all these Wisconsin politicians who are pushing to loosen the clean water regs could have experienced the transformation of the Wis. River. Maybe they would not be so eager to make it easier to pollute.
muskyhunter07
Posted 7/10/2017 9:33 AM (#869439 - in reply to #867439)

Any particular baits that I should try when I'm up there? I was told to try crappie colored shallow invaders and black orange bucktails
muskyhunter07
Posted 7/16/2017 10:26 AM (#870341 - in reply to #867439)

Any input on lures for Petenwell
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)