Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> general cast tactics

Message Subject: general cast tactics
mnmusky
Posted 6/20/2017 1:35 PM (#865760)
Subject: general cast tactics

what's your casting in general like? are you pitching short, pinpoint casts. long bombing. fanning the area before moving on? obviously size of spot and structure may dictate your choice but in general, everyone tends to like /perform one type of cast.
Gregarrison
Posted 6/20/2017 2:00 PM (#865762 - in reply to #865760)
Subject: Re: general cast tactics

Start out slightly off the edge/spot casting up on top and reeling out to the deep, then adjust based boat location and casting angle on success. I start with pinpoint/moderate length casts. Usually have a full boat so it limits the amount of fan-casting available.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 6/20/2017 2:48 PM (#865767 - in reply to #865762)

My technique has yet to be successful but here it is. the lake I fish (most often) the shore has a slow/shallow drop that doesn't get any deeper than about 12-15 for the first 50yds off that shoreline and then it has a steep break down into about 20-25. So I'll start farther off shore and cast just over that break my first pass and then on my second pass (coming back the same way I went) I move up closer to shore almost right over that break into deeper water and I will then cast almost on shore and fish that shallow slope that goes from the shore to the break (between 2 and 10 fow). The reason I go deep to shallow and cast in smaller sections is so if I catch a fish on the end of a cast I'm not fighting it and causing commotion near other fish that I could possible catch. That's how I do it, like I said, haven't had much success yet, but if anyone has some better ideas or recommendations for what I'm doing let me know.
T3clay
Posted 6/20/2017 7:02 PM (#865788 - in reply to #865760)

I often times fish weed flats. If the weeds are not up to the surface and im cinfodebt i can keep my bait above the weeds and clean then i will bomb long casts and fan cast the area. If the weeds are higher i cast as far as i can still having an open lane for my bait to stay weedless. If fishing a defined structure i like to be about 20 yards off of the structure to allow myself plenty of time to trigger a following fish
pklingen
Posted 6/20/2017 7:21 PM (#865791 - in reply to #865760)

look behind you, then cast overhead where your looking and keep your elbows close to your body. your buddies and shoulders will thank you! safety first!!!!!!
7ovr50
Posted 6/21/2017 2:59 PM (#865889 - in reply to #865760)

My first objective is to hit water. Not weeds, trees or flowing objects ( I have made exceptions regarding jet skies coming between me and the shore line). Heavy weeds require accuracy to fish. Scattered cover a longer cast and clean water as far as I can throw it. Cover dictates cast along with type of bait being used.
travelingfisherman
Posted 6/21/2017 7:04 PM (#865908 - in reply to #865760)

Long cast when working open water, medium/short cast when working structure.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 6/23/2017 7:25 AM (#866096 - in reply to #865760)

Bomb Cast open water
But mostly short fan casting on Structure
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)