Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Mid day musky tactics

Message Subject: Mid day musky tactics
wild
Posted 6/18/2017 12:57 PM (#865504)
Subject: Mid day musky tactics

What's everyone doing mid day... the bite always seems to slow down around noon-1... then doesn't pick up again till 5-6.... been checking out new spots, etc during the slow afternoon hrs... have tried deep jigging... just seems like the bite is completely off during those mid day, hot, clear days....

any thoughts?

If there was a bar on the water.....
Kirby Budrow
Posted 6/18/2017 1:56 PM (#865510 - in reply to #865504)
Subject: Re: Mid day musky tactics

Totally depends on the weather and the moon. Mid day can be the best time of day. That said, even on the bad days, there is always a chance at a fish if you're fishing. Tactics would still depend on the conditions.
Musky Brian
Posted 6/18/2017 5:34 PM (#865529 - in reply to #865504)

Checking out new spots at inopportune times can lead to faulty conclusions...

There's a ton of variables, but I have caught many nice fish over the years from 1-5 when other guys are taking naps in the cabin and talking themselves into fish not biting...

Edited by Musky Brian 6/18/2017 5:35 PM
Muskie Gal
Posted 6/18/2017 5:41 PM (#865530 - in reply to #865529)

Trolling
ToddM
Posted 6/18/2017 5:47 PM (#865531 - in reply to #865504)

Sometimes i have seen the best part of the day from 10am-2pm even in the summer. It can be seasonal too. One thing to consider, the middle part of the day is when you can see the weed edge the best and make your presentations to it. Accuracy better ypu can still catch fish hitting those little crevices and pockets you cannot see in low light.
Jeremy
Posted 6/18/2017 5:58 PM (#865532 - in reply to #865504)
Subject: RE: Mid day musky tactics

wild - 6/18/2017 12:57 PM

What's everyone doing mid day... the bite always seems to slow down around noon-1... then doesn't pick up again till 5-6.... been checking out new spots, etc during the slow afternoon hrs... have tried deep jigging... just seems like the bite is completely off during those mid day, hot, clear days....

any thoughts?

This has been my experience too. Maybe one day I'll more appreciate Musky Brians POV but so far it's a bust for me!

Still, I try...
EastwoodNorris
Posted 6/18/2017 7:57 PM (#865542 - in reply to #865504)

I saw two very large fish mid day yesterday. The only fish I saw all day.
T3clay
Posted 6/19/2017 10:42 AM (#865617 - in reply to #865504)

My 2 personal bests were between noon and one. When i get discoureged mid day i downsize and burn bucktails, covers tons and tones of water, turn on auto pilot and get moving. Either that or try to locate fish that i can go back to during prime time
Musky Brian
Posted 6/19/2017 12:34 PM (#865634 - in reply to #865504)

Biggest fish I ever caught was at 12:15
Biggest I ever saw in my life was 12:30
Biggest I've ever caught in many trips to LOTW weight wise was in a foot of water at 12:30 in 78 degree sun.

If you are on a metro lake with heavy boat traffic and pressure, yeah I'd probably pass. If I was up north, I'd prefer to be fishing thick shallow cover, preferably weeds, but have caught enough on rocks to not skip those either.

If it's not a super busy lake, or a really clear lake, keep in mind that Muskies really like sun and warmth throughout the year. Not all fish slide off deep by any means
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 6/19/2017 12:39 PM (#865636 - in reply to #865634)

fish good looking spots. troll open water between spots.
whynot
Posted 6/19/2017 3:23 PM (#865671 - in reply to #865504)

I agree with Brian. Many, many big fish in my boat and seen during the mid-day hours both in Canada and locally. Muskies like warmth and they're opportunistic feeders...just need to catch one in the right mood.

On hot, flat calm days, it seems like deeper weeds and current are where I have the best luck. If there's a bit of wind, everything is fair game.
Mark Hoerich
Posted 6/20/2017 10:19 AM (#865750 - in reply to #865504)

wild - 6/18/2017 12:57 PM

any thoughts?

Always time for Shore Lunch.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Shore Lunch Polish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Shore Lunch Polish.jpg (87KB - 475 downloads)
happy hooker
Posted 6/20/2017 4:14 PM (#865773 - in reply to #865750)

Seriously,,this is the best midday tactic and it works
We typically fish three in the boat,,in the hot mid day I lay down nap and rest, when my two buddy's start moving fish or hit a window and you hear "here comes one" more often, you will know to start casting,,, there are advantages to playing the wimp-they feel superior, you kick back and save energy, let somebody else do the work, after all isn't that what the fishing reports section is intended for.

Edited by happy hooker 6/20/2017 4:25 PM
T3clay
Posted 6/20/2017 6:56 PM (#865786 - in reply to #865504)

^ not a bad idea, too vad i fish alone most of the time
PredLuR
Posted 6/21/2017 6:03 AM (#865815 - in reply to #865773)

happy hooker - 6/20/2017 4:14 PM

We typically fish three in the boat,,in the hot mid day I lay down nap and rest, when my two buddy's start moving fish or hit a window and you hear "here comes one" more often, you will know to start casting,,, there are advantages to playing the wimp-they feel superior, you kick back and save energy, let somebody else do the work, after all isn't that what the fishing reports section is intended for.

Oh its a great tactic for the guy who is in the bottom of the boat resting while the other two guys are bombing away working.....we have a buddy who pulls this on LOTW in the middle of the day and sure enough, as soon as we get a follow or a blow up, he gets right up and starts fishing again because it was ok to sleep when he assumed the fish aren't active. Total cherry picking and we call him out on that BS. Cant stop him from doing it but it does come off as a D-bag move and if your cool with coming off as that with your buddies, more power to ya.

Its a solid plan if you don't want to get invited or fish in someone else's boat.

We have seen big fish in the middle of the day on alot of lakes and even some on the busy water/jetski zoo's. Problem on LOTW is you get up at 5:00am to hit the morning bite and your on the water at 9:45pm hitting the late bite. At some point you need to get off the water and that usually falls in the 1-4 range.

We try to stay out till about 2pm as we have caught nice fish in that 11-2 range regardless of weather. 2-4 always seems slowest (weather dependent). 51" at 12:30 under calm, sunny skies last year.
horsehunter
Posted 6/21/2017 6:16 AM (#865816 - in reply to #865504)

The best two hours for me has always been the last 2 hours of daylight, but 12 till 2 has been a close second. I rarely fish muskies before 11am until late October when days get short.
If I head out too early I'm burnt out before last light.

Edited by horsehunter 6/21/2017 6:19 AM
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 6/21/2017 6:25 AM (#865817 - in reply to #865815)

PredLuR - 6/21/2017 7:03 AM

Oh its a great tactic for the guy who is in the bottom of the boat resting while the other two guys are bombing away working.....we have a buddy who pulls this on LOTW in the middle of the day and sure enough, as soon as we get a follow or a blow up, he gets right up and starts fishing again because it was ok to sleep when he assumed the fish aren't active. Total cherry picking and we call him out on that BS. Cant stop him from doing it but it does come off as a D-bag move and if your cool with coming off as that with your buddies, more power to ya.

Its a solid plan if you don't want to get invited or fish in someone else's boat.

We have seen big fish in the middle of the day on alot of lakes and even some on the busy water/jetski zoo's. Problem on LOTW is you get up at 5:00am to hit the morning bite and your on the water at 9:45pm hitting the late bite. At some point you need to get off the water and that usually falls in the 1-4 range.

We try to stay out till about 2pm as we have caught nice fish in that 11-2 range regardless of weather. 2-4 always seems slowest (weather dependent). 51" at 12:30 under calm, sunny skies last year.

If that really upsets you that your buddy takes a nap then picks back up when someone moves a fish, then you need to grow up. I would not want to fish with you. You sound like a winey #####.

Edited by JakeStCroixSkis 6/21/2017 6:26 AM
happy hooker
Posted 6/21/2017 7:00 AM (#865821 - in reply to #865817)

Predlur
I'd respond to you but I'm at work and I wanna go on a early break.
tkuntz
Posted 6/21/2017 8:08 AM (#865833 - in reply to #865504)

Mid day tactics; If it's gotten slow and there are no weather or moon events near I'll toss out three lines and troll for an hour or two while I relax and recharge for an afternoon/evening of casting. If I'm seeing fish still I'll keep chucking
redskeet100
Posted 6/21/2017 8:58 AM (#865841 - in reply to #865504)

My first 50" fish came on a dead calm blue bird day at 2:10pm. I always keep bombing.

Edited by redskeet100 6/21/2017 8:59 AM
Musky Brian
Posted 6/21/2017 9:04 AM (#865843 - in reply to #865815)

PredLuR - 6/21/2017 6:03 AM

......and that's why I will always skip the 5 AM on LOTW. I've heard opposite from some, but we just haven't had much success super early in admittedly probably too small of a sample size to make sweeping conclusions. But you can't go from 5 AM to 9-10PM every day as body/sleep won't allow it, so something has to give. The vast majority of my real early morning fish in Canada have been on the smaller side ....
BNelson
Posted 6/21/2017 9:12 AM (#865844 - in reply to #865843)

yah don't fish in the morning Brian! they don't bite.. !
nothing wrong with taking a little snooze in the boat... I could care less if my buddy takes a nap, and I fish or vice versa.... would you want your partner awake and on his A game at prime time or asleep at the wheel?
often times when it's slow we jig for walleyes, or go fish for pike in sloppy bays... just that sometimes can recharge us... Mid day can be good anywhere, weather plays the biggest part, not the time it says on the clock.

Edited by BNelson 6/21/2017 9:22 AM
djwilliams
Posted 6/21/2017 10:02 AM (#865850 - in reply to #865504)

Problem is the older I get, the more that noon-4 pm high sun time is a time to get some rest. It makes the 6 pm to dark time I want to be on the water easier, and it makes getting up the next morning easier too. I cut down to two meals while at the lake so I can eat my last meal before I go out around 6 pm and stay out. I sometimes put the bimini up and try to catch some perch when the sun is scorching. Of course all this goes out the window if it's a nice cloudy day.
PredLuR
Posted 6/21/2017 2:26 PM (#865881 - in reply to #865504)

Our trip last year in August would have been really tough if not for getting out for the 7am-9am window. Some spots really turned on and 2 of the 3 50s in the boat came from that time period. Now there is no way of knowing if we had fished those spots at 10 am means we wouldn't have caught those fish so I'm not saying it's a end all be all.

It is nice knowing your the first person through on spots you knw are popular.
PredLuR
Posted 6/21/2017 2:32 PM (#865884 - in reply to #865817)

Didn't mean to get anyone butthurt. Geesh. You have to take specific people in the context of who they are and each specific situation. My wife would prob agree with you regarding the whiney little b $&*# and need to be more "grown up" comment.

Edited by PredLuR 6/21/2017 2:37 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)