Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Talon?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Talon?
Pepper
Posted 6/16/2017 12:07 PM (#865329)
Subject: Talon?

Do you have a talon or othe power pole type anchor on your boat? How do you use when Muskie fishing?
Espy
Posted 6/16/2017 12:48 PM (#865335 - in reply to #865329)
Subject: Re: Talon?

The best use I've seen from a Muskie guy is using his talons to anchor the boat while beached at a shallow landing to get the truck on a windy day
Simo
Posted 6/16/2017 12:56 PM (#865337 - in reply to #865329)
Subject: RE: Talon?

Yes, it's all about the ease of anchoring in shallow water, mostly at landings. Easy to position the boat about 1 foot off the dock too if its too rocky to beach it. Other guys don't have to worry about watching the boat, and very nice when alone. Never use them while actually fishing.
danmuskyman
Posted 6/16/2017 3:34 PM (#865351 - in reply to #865329)

I always thought the best use was at the landing while alone, however my uncle just broke one of his talons a few weeks back while he left it at the dock on a windy day. The waves drove one of his talons so deep that it could not pull itself out of the bottom. Bad situation to be in at a busy landing. He tried to get it up manually which is im sure how it broke, however very costly!
Fishysam
Posted 6/16/2017 5:20 PM (#865367 - in reply to #865351)

Anchor when hooked up to take pics fast without worrying about blowing onto the rocks. At the ramp. On the spot on the spot while dad takes a nap wash baits and figure out what moves fish. Use the power poles to slow my drift better than a pair of big Drift socks. And keep my hands dry. Anchor to retie. Change lures, eat lunch
Fishysam
Posted 6/16/2017 5:22 PM (#865368 - in reply to #865329)

5 year warranty and unlimited spike warranty
sworrall
Posted 6/17/2017 12:22 AM (#865385 - in reply to #865329)

We have dual Power-Poles on the OFM Lund. I would never own another boat without them. Multiple times it's handy to stick the boat exactly where she is and stay put until further notice.
jonnysled
Posted 6/17/2017 7:50 AM (#865389 - in reply to #865329)

Rope at the landing = $10.00, anchor lock TM built in ... Talons to get in your way = why? i see it with bass fishermen, but let's say you are going to troll or go salmon fishing or have a big fish in the back bulldogging you?

someone forgot the reason that includes they look cool when trailering your boat ...

sorry, but they are as limiting as they are useful ...
Ruddiger
Posted 6/17/2017 8:00 AM (#865390 - in reply to #865329)

Howdy,

When they first came out I thought it was a gimmick. As usual I eventually got sucked in and put two of them on my last two boats. Great Purchase! To me, being able to pin the boat in a spot is huge for a lot of convenience reasons and safety reasons. I have two of the 12 foot Talons on my 522D and highly recommend them.

Take care,

Ruddiger

Edited by Ruddiger 6/18/2017 9:48 AM
sworrall
Posted 6/17/2017 9:21 AM (#865396 - in reply to #865389)

jonnysled - 6/17/2017 7:50 AM

Rope at the landing = $10.00, anchor lock TM built in ... Talons to get in your way = why? i see it with bass fishermen, but let's say you are going to troll or go salmon fishing or have a big fish in the back bulldogging you?

someone forgot the reason that includes they look cool when trailering your boat ...

sorry, but they are as limiting as they are useful ...

For you, maybe, but as far as I can tell you have never had them on your rig. We've had them on the Lund for over a year; have caught dozens of muskies with zero issue. I don't find them to be in the way at all, and wouldn't have a boat without them now. Want to control your trolling/drift speed/tack to the numbers? Power-Pole paddle. Fish to CPR in a big wind? No problem. Lock down on an area and cast to it with zero boat movement? Very nice if you are a multi-specie guy, and I am. As you know I also fish bass and muskies quite a bit in the slop. And for crappie fishing? The bomb.

So I'll pass on the 'cool looking' thing, not what we have them for. If I wanted the boat to look cooler, I'd wrap it.
Fishysam
Posted 6/17/2017 9:32 PM (#865457 - in reply to #865396)

Ohh Johnny, I can tell you fishing the wind with a drift sock or two is a complete shot show, my power lies when deployed 5' in 20' with a 30 mph wind take my drift from 1.9-2.1 to 1.3, if I use the paddles it goes to .8. I am glad you do not like them, keeps demand down and fish stupid for me and sworrall. If we ever cross paths I'd love to take you out for a drift/pass and show you first hand the usefulness, on any given day I probably deploy my powerpoles 20-50 times.
Fishysam
Posted 6/17/2017 9:36 PM (#865458 - in reply to #865329)

Ps as the severe weather approached us at the public landing, I rammed my crap on the shore and as I jumped off I stuck it down and beet 2 other boats who just needed to drop off a driver, needless to say I was dry in my truck as the hail hit, I have pictures of the rest... Hahaha seconds count. Also I made a flawless load, other people aren't as fortunate to have as much experience so they struggle. I was holding up the ramp about 69.04 seconds. Version 3.0 has more features
jonnysled
Posted 6/17/2017 9:48 PM (#865462 - in reply to #865458)

you don't need a drift sock to control a boat in the wind ... if you know how to control a boat.
Paul S
Posted 6/18/2017 9:23 AM (#865491 - in reply to #865329)

I find myself using the anchor mode on my Xi5 more often than my Talon even in shallower water. For one thing, the Talon is noisy to deploy. I also love using the anchor mode and then I scoot the boat up a shoreline with the remote. Hitting the forward button moves the boat up about 5'. Granted, I don't know exactly how this applies to your musky fishing but this Xi5 has made it much easier to fish in the wind. In terms of the Talon, it is great at the dock and great for stopping to retie or just take a break. If you guys camp out on a spot when fishing the Talon is ideal for this when it's windy. I have done this multiple times and ended up having very productive days. One of the negatives is that it weighs 60-70 lbs. If I were buying again I would check out the Powerpole due to its lighter weight and it's quieter.
14ledo81
Posted 6/18/2017 10:07 PM (#865560 - in reply to #865462)

jonnysled - 6/17/2017 9:48 PM

you don't need a drift sock to control a boat in the wind ... if you know how to control a boat.

"You don't need a trolling motor to control a boat in the wind"...

-old guy that uses oars-
Fishysam
Posted 6/19/2017 8:39 PM (#865704 - in reply to #865560)

14ledo81 - 6/18/2017 10:07 PM

jonnysled - 6/17/2017 9:48 PM

"You don't need a trolling motor to control a boat in the wind"...

-old guy that uses oars-

OHH NO YOU DIDN'T haha! Having all the boat control tools at hand only makes fishing easier and more enjoyable
mtcook16
Posted 6/20/2017 9:08 AM (#865736 - in reply to #865329)
Subject: RE: Talon?

Really enjoy my Talon and would have two if I didn't have a kicker. The lower profile and ability to install a tilt bracket for a garage or low bridge were big for my storage and fish situations.

A nice feature of the Talon is the changeable anchoring modes for condition type; Auto, soft bottom and rough water. My 10' Talon held my 19' Alumacraft in 8.5' for 2 hours, transom upstream without moving in stiff current 150 yards from a hydro dam The "rough water mode" does a great job making sure that the spike holds, even on rocky bottom. I've found the built-in wave absorber helps ensure the spike stays locked down but allows the boat to move up/down with the waves.

In certain situations, I utilize both my Talon and Spot Lock to position the boat at a particular angle when trying to pick apart particular structure. It also helps and decrease the battery usage of my trolling motor while in spot lock in windy conditions.

Edited by mtcook16 6/20/2017 9:12 AM
Macintosh
Posted 6/21/2017 1:45 PM (#865873 - in reply to #865329)

Just put a 12’ talon and an ultrex on my boat this spring. I don’t troll, ever, as policy so that’s a non-issue for me. My fishing is split between bass and pike mostly, I don’t use the talon nearly as much throwing heavier pike stuff, but for anything slow moving especially for bass the talon is pure gold and often works in ways the ultrex spot-lock doesn’t (like fishing a weed-line with the wind). I use the talon in weedier conditions too where the TM gets bogged down. I don’t need either, also don’t need a fancy boat or an outboard motor or any of the toys I have beyond one fishing rod, but they sure make dealing with the wind a lot easier and more enjoyable! I don’t find the talon to be in the way, but my wife who isnt much of a caster finds it a bit cumbersome to get around. The shorter 8 or 10’ version or an 8’ powerpole are much shorter and would probably work 85% of the time I use the 12’ version.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)